Pages:
Author

Topic: Unsecured WiFi - page 3. (Read 1611 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 277
November 08, 2017, 08:04:02 AM
If you are unsure with the public WiFi where you connect, much better not to connect in it or use VPN to be secure. There are lots of hackers nowadays and sometimes, they are copying the name of the Public WiFi and using their own WiFi with Key Logger to hack accounts of people who connected to them. Be extra careful and vigilant. Bitcoin price is very high.
Yes it is safe to use own wifi but if a person is having a problem in his internet and go for a public wifi then not a big deal, just be sure to keep your wallet offline, be keen about investment and don't let anyone to access your account.

Firstly it is not easy to hack bitcoin account but precautions are better than cure so be safe and be sure about your wallet
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004
November 05, 2017, 05:44:08 PM
The general rule of thumb - if you don't need your BTC to available for you all the time there is no need to expose your coins to a threat like this.
The more potential problems you can encounter the higher probability that something will go wrong. Why risk it?
The better option would be to store some small part of your BTC on your mobile device and keep rest of it safely stored at home.

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
November 05, 2017, 04:43:47 PM
It is possible for hacker to hack your computer by injecting some virus in your laptop through WiFi. It is better to use a hardware wallet if you are connecting to unsecure WiFi often.

Edit: Typo, it should be computer instead of hardware wallet
Right! your point a view is correct. Hackers can steal your bitcoin if you save your private keys in your PC. So never do that, and avoid to open your wallet using Unsecured WiFi. Hardware wallets is a good option to secure your coins.
Activity: 252
Merit: 100
November 05, 2017, 04:34:02 PM
In theory, if your wallet is not reliable, then attackers can steal your secret keys and passwords. So better do not risk and do not use questionable Wi-Fi.
Activity: 1040
Merit: 538
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com
November 05, 2017, 04:12:40 PM
I do not think that your wallet will be compromised at a cafe or hotel wifi and I do not think that the hacker would know about Bitcoinc unless he is waiting for that. Just do not connect to unknown (private) Wi - fi hotspots and you will be alright.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
November 05, 2017, 04:06:36 PM
No, they shouldn't be able to access your data unless your computer is configured so. If you travel a lot I recommend you to buy a VPN. It will increase your security when you are connected to public WiFi network. Try to think about buying a hardware wallet. Ledger Nano S is quite small so it could fit in your pocket. Less risk that someone will steal your crypto.
Activity: 868
Merit: 266
November 05, 2017, 03:41:28 PM
its up to you how you set up your wifi connection i think the solution is do not give your wifi password in everyone keep it safe
dont show every where
When you are using an unsecured WiFi, you open yourself up to being hacked and that's not really a wise thing to do. One must make sure that they are using the highest security when connected through the WiFi and using a VPN also helps with security when connected to an unsecured wifi.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462
https://JetCash.com
November 05, 2017, 03:04:04 PM
I've been running a full node over public WiFi since I joined Bitcoin Talk, and I've never had any problems.

I'm using Windows 10 for various reasons, and I hate it. I ran an alternative node under Ubuntu as well, and I've never had problems with either.
You will have some difficulties. Your node can only accept outbound connections, most public sites don't allow inbound connections. You will also find that some locations will not allow you to use port 8333 - supermarkets and libraries for example. When synchronising your node, make sure you minimise the display so that it is not on public display. The netbook I use for the Ubuntu node uses an external SSD, and I should probably move my wallet onto that as well. When you go to the loo, don't leave core running.

Some other points - don't try to download the blockchain, it will take you a couple of weeks. Try to synchronise the blockchain every day, that is usually fairly fast. WiFi can be fairly spotty at some locations, but core seems to be fairly resiliant and recovers if you shut it down and restart.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
November 05, 2017, 02:55:21 PM
Just keep all your passwords safe and do not expose them when you are connected. Hackers can steal your information through sites you have visited, which they can then take the site's cookies and possibly get your passwords and other information.  Undecided

Make sure you disable any form of sharing of files through your internet. Use a VPN to encrypt your data, and try not to access sites that are important to you, e.g. Online wallets, bank accounts.

I would not connect to an unsecured WiFi if there is something important on your laptop if I were you, but if you really have to, take the above precautions. Stay safe! To answer your question, I am not sure, but it is possible as you may leak your desktop wallet passwords or private keys accidentally.

You also have to be careful about having files copied off of your hard drive if you are hosting said unsecured network. if you are behind a firewall or if your data is encrypted, ou will most likely be fine. but the average persons online security and knowledge thereof is woefully lax; I have actually encountered modems with the default admin/password credential pair at gamestops, certain libraries, and mom and pop restaurants that dont know any better.

and dude, never connect to airport wifi. its like having sex with everyone else that connected to the airport wifi  Cheesy
Activity: 602
Merit: 258
November 05, 2017, 02:52:46 PM
its up to you how you set up your wifi connection i think the solution is do not give your wifi password in everyone keep it safe
dont show every where
Activity: 686
Merit: 250
November 05, 2017, 02:44:06 PM
This is a hypothetical question. I am wondering, can my desktop wallet be hacked if I log into an unsecured WiFi hotspot even if I do not log into my bitcoin desktop wallet? I am wondering because I travel a lot, and when travelling I sometimes log into coffee shop WiFi hotspots. I don't keep a lot of funds on the desktop but I'm wondering about this.
If you do that you are going to expose yourself to huge risks, even if you do not access any sensible data there is a chance a hacker infects your computer and from that point on the only thing you need to do is to access your wallet and then the hacker is going to have everything he needs to steal your bitcoin.
Activity: 826
Merit: 104
November 05, 2017, 02:17:45 PM
use vpn and hide all info and its better do not join any unsecured wifi .use your private connection Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
November 05, 2017, 02:17:17 PM
Just VPN your ass and instead of using public WiFi, which could bring on masses of uncharted unpleasantness, get a mifi hotspot instead. Public WiFi is almost always borderline unusable anyway.

Considering how sophisticated hackers can be I can't believe anyone would risk anything when there are good and cheap alternatives.
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
November 05, 2017, 02:12:57 PM
This is a hypothetical question. I am wondering, can my desktop wallet be hacked if I log into an unsecured WiFi hotspot even if I do not log into my bitcoin desktop wallet? I am wondering because I travel a lot, and when travelling I sometimes log into coffee shop WiFi hotspots. I don't keep a lot of funds on the desktop but I'm wondering about this.

hackers need to connect to core to make something in your device so if you not give them access to core they can’t use your pc also must know they can track your connection and may be see and record new passwords
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
November 05, 2017, 02:08:42 PM
There have been many reports or posts by people on this forum about losing their bitcoins after they used a public wifi on travel. So it is recommended that you keep you wallet on a private device and even when you have to use a public network, use it on another device.
Activity: 336
Merit: 100
November 05, 2017, 01:57:47 PM
Not sure if you have the capability, but it is my understanding that using your personal wifi on your cell phone is much more safe than using the public router.

Can anyone confirm if this is truly the case? And is your phone internet connection more or less vulnerable to attack?
legendary
Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038
Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar
November 05, 2017, 01:55:35 PM
Depends on what you are doing. If you connect to WiFi and do nothing for example there is no way for you to get hacked. Most common type of attack on public WiFi is Man In The Middle Attack where hacked would try to redirect you from lets say google.com to his website and force you to download malware. After that your PC would get compromised.
Activity: 532
Merit: 101
November 05, 2017, 01:53:35 PM
just make sure you have you password safe and saved! you will not be hack by doing that just still be carefull !
Activity: 2506
Merit: 328
November 05, 2017, 01:51:13 PM
Possible but can really be avoided as long you dont download or input any informations either on email or personal log-ins that can be used on accessing any wallet.If you are really scared then use another laptop to be sure or just use hardware or offline wallet for your bitcoins or any other altcoins to be safe from getting compromised. My friend is victimized on public wifi which he carelessly input any important informations and he was being hacked because of his card details and other related informations.
Activity: 167
Merit: 10
November 05, 2017, 01:50:29 PM

If wifi is compromised they can intercept clear passwords if wifi it is not crypted, so on the worst case they would get your password when you type it to decrypt your wallet but they will not get your wallet. So your wallet can not be hacked.

I guess you should keep the biggest amount on a cold wallet and just keep in that wallet your daily expenses.
Pages:
Jump to: