Pages:
Author

Topic: Unsecured WiFi - page 6. (Read 1611 times)

Activity: 1372
Merit: 500
November 05, 2017, 06:10:36 AM

Buy a couple spare laptops for public use. Since the bitcoin price has gone up its worth upgrading your secuirty.  I have thought the same before though OP, i got told it is possible to hack via wifi but very hard and unlikely.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 536
November 05, 2017, 06:08:11 AM
This is a hypothetical question. I am wondering, can my desktop wallet be hacked if I log into an unsecured WiFi hotspot even if I do not log into my bitcoin desktop wallet? I am wondering because I travel a lot, and when travelling I sometimes log into coffee shop WiFi hotspots. I don't keep a lot of funds on the desktop but I'm wondering about this.

In cafes, schools and public places, we recommend you not to enter Wi-fi, you have to enter internet, you can use mobile Internet, you can use VPN.
Activity: 420
Merit: 171
November 05, 2017, 06:07:07 AM
keep away your precious coins from hackers bro. if i were you just avoid connecting into public unsecured wifi, i bet you can afford to pay mobile wifi or internet better pay less for net connection than lose your hard earned cryptos

Yes MR. OP you have to keep your all you Informations From any Wifi connection, As Far as I know Hackers can dive In to your computers as long as you are connected to their wifi or connection, A better way to be safe and to be always connected to the Internet is simply Buying A Pocket Wifi it's so portable and you are the Only person connected.
Activity: 266
Merit: 13
November 05, 2017, 06:06:03 AM
Not likely.  The main risk for your wallet is downloading a malicious software package, and you can do that with HTTPS over VPN and secure Wifi just as easily as without those things. Use sites that are trustworthy, have AV on, dont accept anything to run, dont open unrecognised email, that should cover 99% of threats.

Secure wifi really only protects you from someone locally sniffing the traffic and grabbing your web traffic and details.  Man-in-the-middle risk is increased, but the real threat is from an actor capturing online login details and hacking those accounts, though HTTPS should protect that anyway.

Activity: 728
Merit: 250
Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies
November 05, 2017, 05:52:57 AM
It is possible for hacker to hack your computer by injecting some virus in your laptop through WiFi. It is better to use a hardware wallet if you are connecting to unsecure WiFi often.

Edit: Typo, it should be computer instead of hardware wallet
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
November 05, 2017, 05:35:17 AM
keep away your precious coins from hackers bro. if i were you just avoid connecting into public unsecured wifi, i bet you can afford to pay mobile wifi or internet better pay less for net connection than lose your hard earned cryptos
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
November 05, 2017, 05:25:56 AM
Wifi as technology is compromised nowadays anyway, even if public wifi is of course more unsecure. So I see no additional risk if you never use your wallet in public wifi and take care that there is no malware in your computer.
Activity: 798
Merit: 503
November 05, 2017, 04:38:44 AM
Just keep all your passwords safe and do not expose them when you are connected. Hackers can steal your information through sites you have visited, which they can then take the site's cookies and possibly get your passwords and other information.  Undecided

Make sure you disable any form of sharing of files through your internet. Use a VPN to encrypt your data, and try not to access sites that are important to you, e.g. Online wallets, bank accounts.

I would not connect to an unsecured WiFi if there is something important on your laptop if I were you, but if you really have to, take the above precautions. Stay safe! To answer your question, I am not sure, but it is possible as you may leak your desktop wallet passwords or private keys accidentally.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
November 05, 2017, 04:21:46 AM
This is a hypothetical question. I am wondering, can my desktop wallet be hacked if I log into an unsecured WiFi hotspot even if I do not log into my bitcoin desktop wallet? I am wondering because I travel a lot, and when travelling I sometimes log into coffee shop WiFi hotspots. I don't keep a lot of funds on the desktop but I'm wondering about this.
Pages:
Jump to: