Pages:
Author

Topic: [UPDATE: 2015-05-10] Bitcoin Core soft-fork "No Forced TX Fee" v0.10.1 available - page 3. (Read 59262 times)

legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571
If it does not allow you to send without fee, probably very high risk of losing the coins exists.

This worries me. Not because I think there is any chance of loosing coins but because you don't know that there is no chance of loosing coins. Spend transactions are either mined into a block or not. If they are not being mined you can just stop broadcasting that transaction and mining pools will eventually forget about it and you can send those coins with a fee. How exactly is there a risk of "loosing" coins, then?
Ask the core Bitcoin developers. The code which asks you for a fee in that case has not been changed in my fork.

This fork is merely 3 lines of code which turn off a single limitation which forces you to pay a fee even when it is not absolutely necessary. That is not rocket science.

You seem to have misunderstood what I wrote. I just said that there is never a risk of loosing your coins just because you didn't pay enough of a fee. You just remove the transaction using pywallet and wait for the mining pools to forget it. Then you can redo the transaction again with a fee.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1006
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
If it does not allow you to send without fee, probably very high risk of losing the coins exists.

This worries me. Not because I think there is any chance of loosing coins but because you don't know that there is no chance of loosing coins. Spend transactions are either mined into a block or not. If they are not being mined you can just stop broadcasting that transaction and mining pools will eventually forget about it and you can send those coins with a fee. How exactly is there a risk of "loosing" coins, then?
Ask the core Bitcoin developers. The code which asks you for a fee in that case has not been changed in my fork.

This fork is merely 3 lines of code which turn off a single limitation which forces you to pay a fee even when it is not absolutely necessary. That is not rocket science.
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

legendary
yep! it works for me for 0.01 BTC without fee but takes for 2 hours approx. for confirmation. But good at all. Thanks for developer!
Yep, it takes longer but it works. That is the exact reason I've built this fork - because i think that the default algo sucks donkey's balls as it requires fee for coins that could be easily sent without.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
yep! it works for me for 0.01 BTC without fee but takes for 2 hours approx. for confirmation. But good at all. Thanks for developer!
legendary
Ok so I finally successfully built the windows version, but for some reason it is still requiring a fee. I have tried both 5.3.1 and 6.0rc4 and command line version without success. I checked the source I have and it does have your wallet modification. Would there be a reason why it wouldn't let me send fee-less? I am using gitian to build it.
There can be multiple reasons. Like:
- You have received money from a lot of inputs
- The coins do not have enough confirmations

FYI, this fork does not remove fees completely, it only relaxes the fee requirement algorithm. If it does not allow you to send without fee, probably very high risk of losing the coins exists. You can still send them using RAW transactions API, but i wouldn't go for it if I was you.

Also, recheck 3 times if you are using binary built from my code. You may be using other binary.
legendary
2013-10-07 Update:

NFTF - versions 0.8.4, 0.8.5 released.

Fresh tag - nftf-v0.8.4, nftf-v0.8.5 is avaiable for download.
https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/tags

MASTER branch was also updated to latest Bitcoin version:
https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf

EDIT: Sorry, mistake. I did not update master this time.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
legendary
2013-08-19 Update:

NFTF - version 0.8.3 released.

Fresh tag - nftf-v0.8.3 is avaiable for download.

MASTER branch was also updated to latest Bitcoin version:
https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf
legendary
Isn't this a configurable option in 0.8.2?  Or do we need your client for your forked chain?
Nope.

- Chain is not forked
- Transaction relaying is unaffected
- Everything except amount of fees when sending **your own money** is unaffected

This is a minor patch, nearly identical to official client.
You can simply send money paying less fees, but with higher risk of transaction not making it into a block (fees might not be enough).

I created this fork, because i didn't like the decision of the devs to raise fees some time ago without giving user any choice (a configuration option for God's sake !).

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016
Isn't this a configurable option in 0.8.2?  Or do we need your client for your forked chain?
legendary
2013-06-23 Update:

NFTF - version 0.8.2 released.

Fresh tag - nftf-v0.8.2 is avaiable for download.

PLEASE NOTE THAT UNTIL MAX BLOCK SIZE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED BY DEVELOPERS, SOME FREE (WITHOUT FEE) TRANSACTIONS CREATED BY THIS FORK MAY CONFIRM VERY SLOWLY OR NEVER.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE USING THIS FORK.

legendary
Each lawyer will tell you:
All these ARBITRARY and UNFORESEEABLE enforced transaction fees are ILLEGAL.

It cannot be down to miners whim, what at all and even HOW MUCH they want to claim.
A claim of fees must at least clearly be declared before a transaction is definitely mandated by users.

Otherwise there is no agreement.
No agreement, no fee.
And no other chicanry like delays or denial of service (seems also applied - illegally).

Miners have the right to choose whom they provide service to or not.

does this have atopic location at all? I want to see comments on this style of thread

Wut ?

Also, please stop derailing this thread.
Activity: 810
Merit: 1000
Each lawyer will tell you:
All these ARBITRARY and UNFORESEEABLE enforced transaction fees are ILLEGAL.

It cannot be down to miners whim, what at all and even HOW MUCH they want to claim.
A claim of fees must at least clearly be declared before a transaction is definitely mandated by users.

Otherwise there is no agreement.
No agreement, no fee.
And no other chicanry like delays or denial of service (seems also applied - illegally).

Miners have the right to choose whom they provide service to or not.

does this have atopic location at all? I want to see comments on this style of thread
Activity: 335
Merit: 250
How would this work with a sendmany rpc json transaction?
It will work with everything that the mainline client works with.

Well, except paying more fees of course.

Well it dosnt work when i use the debug console. It still is sending the default .0005 fee per 1kb.
Using a sendmany transaction.
legendary
It will work with everything that the mainline client works with.

Well, except paying more fees of course.
Activity: 335
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
This was built using Gitian with sipa's build script
Can you provide more details? I tryed to compile on a VMWare Ubuntu myself, but got errors Sad
sipa's build script: http://bitcoin.sipa.be/builds/bitcoin-build.sh.txt

1. install: https://github.com/devrandom/gitian-builder (install dependencies, then "git clone git://github.com/devrandom/gitian-builder.git")
2. git clone git://ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/
3. rename folder "bitcoin-nftf" to "bitcoin-build"
4. follow the instructions to set up the gitian virtual machine
5. place dependencies in the input folder of gitian
5. ./bitcoin-build.sh nftf-v0.8.1
legendary
This was built using Gitian with sipa's build script
Can you provide more details? I tryed to compile on a VMWare Ubuntu myself, but got errors Sad

This fork builds exactly the same way the normal client does. So just follow instructions on building the mainline client.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/build-msw.md
Pages:
Jump to: