Pages:
Author

Topic: [UPDATE: 2015-05-10] Bitcoin Core soft-fork "No Forced TX Fee" v0.10.1 available - page 9. (Read 59262 times)

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1006
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
Yes, and they are also seldom added in those cases. Moreover, The amount of the transaction itself isn't whats relevant for the fee calculations (unless it goes under 0.01 BTC).

I'm just stating a simple fact: The bitcoin software uses the _same_ code to determine if fees are required for relay as it does when adding fees to a transaction.  If it decides to add one, it's only if other nodes wouldn't have relayed (much less mined) the transaction without them.

Yes, I'm sure you tested and found it worked fine. I expect that in those cases the unmodified reference software also would not have applied a fee.

Actually, I did a 2-level testing.
First, i tested the "normal" client to check if it adds fees. Then i did an identical transaction with identical sum of money.
And guess what. The mainline client ALWAYS (state as of december 2011) wants a fee when you resend money that are younger than 30 minutes.

My client does not. And the transaction produced by my client got confirmed easily (up to 2 hours).

I want to have freedom to choose whether i want to pay fees that may or may not be necessary.
[...]
Also, as i already stated somewhere in this topic, **this is not a "proper" fork, just a simple 2 line - patch ** for people who value freedom of choice the same as I do.
And freedom you have, there is nothing I could do to take that away from you even if I wanted to, though I don't.
Your promotion on your signature, "Getting robbed by miners", however isn't just about providing a choice. As far as I can tell it's about spreading misinformation, fear, uncertainty, and doubt. 

Well, actually i think you may be at least partially right here.
I will remove the "getting robbed by miners" ad, and replace it with something "lighter".

It reduces choice by clouding people's judgement with the fear that they'll lose money and may cause them to run your fork when under a rational analysis they would not.

Your change is also not a 2 line patch. Diffing your RC tag and the reference client RC tag gives me a 289 line diff.
  You appear to be missing at least one random patch from mainline in December. I'm sure this was a simple mistake, but what happens when such a mistake introduces a data corruption bug?

This is interesting.
Gitk shows that my branch is fully merged with master, except for my little patch.

I will diff it myself now and show you the results in a few minutes.

In any case, I didn't post for your benefit, we've gone over this before.  I was just making a regular cautionary post so that people who are just seeing this thread for the first time won't jump to the end and miss the earlier discussion.

There is a "cautionary" big, red warning in the first post, shouldn't that be enough ?
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
Do some testing before you make claims such as this. I did such tests on my fork with only 2 confirmations (and small sums - like 0.02, 0.10) , and guess what. Fees were NOT necessary. Ever.

Yes, and they are also seldom added in those cases. Moreover, The amount of the transaction itself isn't whats relevant for the fee calculations (unless it goes under 0.01 BTC).

I'm just stating a simple fact: The bitcoin software uses the _same_ code to determine if fees are required for relay as it does when adding fees to a transaction.  If it decides to add one, it's only if other nodes wouldn't have relayed (much less mined) the transaction without them.

Yes, I'm sure you tested and found it worked fine. I expect that in those cases the unmodified reference software also would not have applied a fee.

I want to have freedom to choose whether i want to pay fees that may or may not be necessary.
[...]
Also, as i already stated somewhere in this topic, **this is not a "proper" fork, just a simple 2 line - patch ** for people who value freedom of choice the same as I do.

And freedom you have, there is nothing I could do to take that away from you even if I wanted to, though I don't.
Your promotion on your signature, "Getting robbed by miners", however isn't just about providing a choice. As far as I can tell it's about spreading misinformation, fear, uncertainty, and doubt.  It reduces choice by clouding people's judgement with the fear that they'll lose money and may cause them to run your fork when under a rational analysis they would not.

Your change is also not a 2 line patch. Diffing your RC tag and the reference client RC tag gives me a 289 line diff.  You appear to be missing at least one random patch from mainline in December. I'm sure this was a simple mistake, but what happens when such a mistake introduces a data corruption bug?

In any case, I didn't post for your benefit, we've gone over this before.  I was just making a regular cautionary post so that people who are just seeing this thread for the first time won't jump to the end and miss the earlier discussion.
legendary
This is a terrible patch that puts you at risk and no one should run it.   The overwhelming majority of transactions with the stock reference client do not pay fees, the average _total_ fees per block are about 0.02 BTC— pointing out the lie that miners give a crap about collecting fees from you— the reference client only adds fees to transactions when it would not mine or relay them had they come from someone else, when they are objectively indistinguishable from a DOS attack.

Completely untrue, at least it was few months ago (i am not sure if current state is similiar, because i didn't have time to test it lately).
The official client adds fees, even when they are completely unnecessary - meaning they get relayed and confirmed without any fee.

Do some testing before you make claims such as this. I did such tests on my fork with only 2 confirmations (and small sums - like 0.02, 0.10) , and guess what. Fees were NOT necessary. Ever.

Also, there is a proper warning at the start of this topic.

When it does add fees they are usually only 0.0005 BTC.

You miss the point.
This is MY FREEDOM, not developer freedom to decide what to do. This is the exact reason i created this simple patch.

The **proper** fork/patch should implement a dialog saying "Are you absolutely sure that you do not want to include fee ? Your money may be lost in the process".

These patches also don't do what they claim to do— they'll still apply fees in some cases. (Though at least thats a good thing)

Of course, it wasn't my intention for the patch to remove ALL fees. It only removes the necessity of paying the fee which started around 0.3.23.
It reverts the client behavior to the one from 0.3.20.

It's also the case that no one actively involved and informed in Bitcoin's development is reviewing these patches.  If ShadowOfHarbringer was actually competent do this this work he would not be making misleading claims and would instead be working on code to help users safely recover from stuck transactions.  

Unfortunately, I do not posess enough C/C++ skill (as i already mentioned above), but i do posess the skills to read&understand C/C++ code (to a certain degree) and do pretty advanced git patchwork.
This is all I am doing here, nothing more is really required to maintain a 2-line patch for God's sake.

I would not run code released by him.

This is your choice. Because you see: It is all about choice. My choice was to create this fork for myself and other people who value individual freedom and are willing to take some risks to achieve that freedom.
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
Since this is back on the top of the forum— it's time for the regular reminder:

This is a terrible patch that puts you at risk and no one should run it.   The overwhelming majority of transactions with the stock reference client do not pay fees, the average _total_ fees per block are about 0.02 BTC— pointing out the lie that miners give a crap about collecting fees from you— the reference client only adds fees to transactions when it would not mine or relay them had they come from someone else, when they are objectively indistinguishable from a DOS attack.  When it does add fees they are usually only 0.0005 BTC.

Recovering from stuck transactions is a major pain and requires careful editing of the wallet binaries.  When a transaction is stuck it may lock up far more than its value.

These patches also don't do what they claim to do— they'll still apply fees in some cases. (Though at least thats a good thing)

It's also the case that no one actively involved and informed in Bitcoin's development is reviewing these patches.  If ShadowOfHarbringer was actually competent do this this work he would not be making misleading claims and would instead be working on code to help users safely recover from stuck transactions.  I would not run code released by him.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
There it is, will this broke the bitcoin transaction_fee_collection_business ?
legendary
2012-02-12 Update:

NFTF - versions 0.5.2 & 0.6.0rc1 released.

NOTE: From now on i will also include release candidate (rc) tags in my fork.

Fresh tags - nftf-v0.5.2, nftf-v0.6.0rc1 are avaiable for download.
https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/tags

Trunk code has also been merged from mainline client:
https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/tree/
legendary
2012-01-07 Update:

NFTF - version 0.5.1 released.

A fresh tag - nftf-v0.5.1 is avaiable for download.

Trunk code has also been merged back:
legendary
2011-12-03 Update:

NFTF - version 0.5.0 released.

A fresh tag - nftf-v0.5.0 is avaiable for download.

Trunk code was also updated:
legendary
2011-09-24 Update:

NFTF - version 0.4.0 released.

Also:
- Removed all the messy git tags merged previously from the mailine client
- Created new, clean tag for NFTF-0.4.0
- Minor cosmetic changes in comments

So from now on, code will be organized in tags, not versions - as it should be from the beginning.

0.4.0 code is avaiable in the tag:
https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/tree/nftf-v0.4.0/

And trunk code is avaiable from the trunk, as always. I usually only update it on major version changes or important features/bugfixes, so don't expect me to keep up with mainstream client developers all the time.

Trunk: https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/tree/

Also, i have performed few tests, sending back and forth small amounts of BTC (0.01) having only 2 confirmations, and it seems that my fork is stable enough for the payments to get confirmed easily (up to 2 hours) without using any fees.
legendary
Today I have merged back the commit from trunk which fixes an unfairly high fees that have to be paid to the miners sometimes due to a bug re-introduced in 0.3.24.

For details see the discussion here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoind-transaction-fees-one-annoying-shit-i-have-stumbled-upon-45259

The patch is/will be already present in 0.4x version of official client, but i have also merged it back into 0.3.21, 0.3.22, 0.3.23 and 0.3.24 versions - for people who like to use older and more tested apps.

https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/commits/nftf-0.3.21
https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/commits/nftf-0.3.22
https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/commits/nftf-0.3.23 (that version already contained the patch)
https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/commits/nftf-0.3.24

If you have used trunk version, it already contained the patch, merged back from official client.
https://github.com/ShadowOfHarbringer/bitcoin-nftf/

Enjoy your no-unnecessary-fee transactions !
As always, wait for at least 7 confirmations before re-sending money so you lower the risk of transaction not being accepted by the network.
Activity: 755
Merit: 515
The fact is, i have been using 0.3.20 all the time now, and no coins were lost.
So i think you are talking jibberish nevertheless.
0.3.20 is different than this patch in that 0.3.20 doesnt force fees based on the same ruleset as later releases, but does still force fees in some cases.  This patch doesnt ever force fees and can thus often generate transactions which wont relay.

Nobody is saying anything about conspiracy.
It is just a "common ground" of most prominent miners & developers. They all invested money in mining, so why would they act differently ?

Too bad the side effect is normal users are completely unnecessarily ripped off (for small money but still).
Actually quite the opposite.  All the lead developers aren't miners at all. They are just users of bitcoin like everyone else, and have to pay the same fees to miners like everyone else.

And what would be the reason for that ?
Can't you just stop talking instead ?
Because you are spreading FUD and making ridiculous claims.
legendary
Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. I find this discussion completely useless & unnecessary.

EOT.
Yes, I have no idea what Im talking about, after having written a more full-featured version of this patch a month ago.

The fact is, i have been using 0.3.20 all the time now, and no coins were lost.
So i think you are talking jibberish nevertheless.

Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. I find this discussion completely useless & unnecessary.

EOT.
entire world is a conspiracy to defraud you of your bitcoins.  

Nobody is saying anything about conspiracy.
It is just a "common ground" of most prominent miners & developers. They all invested money in mining, so why would they act differently ?

Too bad the side effect is normal users are completely unnecessarily ripped off (for small money but still).

Can we get this thread locked?

And what would be the reason for that ?
Can't you just stop talking instead ?
Activity: 41
Merit: 41

EOT.
Yes, I have no idea what Im talking about, after having written a more full-featured version of this patch a month ago.  Also, the fact that theymos and Gavin agree with me seems to indicate that you are absolutely right and the entire world is a conspiracy to defraud you of your bitcoins.  I'm sorry I wasted my time trying to explain the actual solution and problem to you.  Can we get this thread locked?
legendary
Seems to indicate that he is very interested in fixing the underlying problem instead of hacking up the code to make a branch that doesnt even work

How do you know it doesn't work ? Did you even try to compile it ?
Oh, I have no doubt it compiles and runs, but remember transactions it creates oftenalmost always will not be relayed or confirmed.

EOT.
Seems to indicate that he is very interested in fixing the underlying problem instead of hacking up the code to make a branch that doesnt even work

Oh, I have no doubt it compiles and runs, but remember transactions it creates oftenalmost always will not be relayed or confirmed.

Sorry, still not convinced.
Lol, ok have fun with that, and people here wonder why people laugh at the bitcoin community at-large.
legendary

Did you even read Gavin's response?
A long-term fix for transaction fees (as opposed to the ad-hoc "we'll just try to guess what the 'right' fees are") is high on my priority list for bitcoin. There are only two very-high-priority things on my bitcoin wish list:  fix scaling issues and make sure we have any infrastructure in place to support ultra-high-security wallets. Fixing transaction fees is a scaling issue.
. Remember that Gavin is not in charge of any of the miners, and all of the largest miners run modified bitcoin daemons with custom transaction handling anyway.  There is no cartel here, just miners who will accept any transactions with fees and dont care to support transactions that create a larger load on the network as a whole without fees. This is Open-source, no one gets paid to do this, not gavin, not sipa, noone.  If you want a solution to the problem, you need to make one (and again, this is no where near a solution as the transactions it generates dont get relayed or included in blocks, so you might as well just not create the transactions) or wait until someone has time to come up with, and code a solution in their unpaid free time.

Sorry, still not convinced.

----
BTW.

Project update.

- I have merged back all of the current mainline client changes back into the fork.
- Between others, Polish translation was added by somebody into the mainline client
- Small code beauty & compatibility changes in the fork.
Until then, making it very difficult to send low-fee transactions is necessary.

Very difficult, but not impossible.
It isnt impossible, due to patches like the one I wrote quite some time ago and this one, its always been possible its FLOSS.  But its also a free market, that means if miners dont want your transaction, you are going to have to mine yourself, that the developers have no control over...period

BTW,
Because of Gavin's aggressive responses to my pointing out of an obvious bug I am now more convinced than ever that this is a typical Mining Cartel Scam™.
Not nice.

Did you even read Gavin's response?
A long-term fix for transaction fees (as opposed to the ad-hoc "we'll just try to guess what the 'right' fees are") is high on my priority list for bitcoin. There are only two very-high-priority things on my bitcoin wish list:  fix scaling issues and make sure we have any infrastructure in place to support ultra-high-security wallets. Fixing transaction fees is a scaling issue.
Seems to indicate that he is very interested in fixing the underlying problem instead of hacking up the code to make a branch that doesnt even work. Remember that Gavin is not in charge of any of the miners, and all of the largest miners run modified bitcoin daemons with custom transaction handling anyway.  There is no cartel here, just miners who will accept any transactions with fees and dont care to support transactions that create a larger load on the network as a whole without fees. This is Open-source, no one gets paid to do this, not gavin, not sipa, noone.  If you want a solution to the problem, you need to make one (and again, this is no where near a solution as the transactions it generates dont get relayed or included in blocks, so you might as well just not create the transactions) or wait until someone has time to come up with, and code a solution in their unpaid free time.
legendary
Until then, making it very difficult to send low-fee transactions is necessary.

Very difficult, but not impossible.

BTW,
Because of Gavin's aggressive responses to my pointing out of an obvious bug I am now more convinced than ever that this is a typical Mining Cartel Scam™.
Not nice.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
The solution is to eliminate the risk. Once 0-confirmation transactions can be reversed easily, the entire transaction fee issue can be basically forgotten about.

Until then, making it very difficult to send low-fee transactions is necessary. There are some types of transactions that will be universally rejected.
Pages:
Jump to: