Pages:
Author

Topic: Update Large review of Finksy/J4bbrwock server psus compared to ATXpsu-photos up - page 3. (Read 20758 times)

legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

I believe I never got an older revision than s5 or s6. To try them individually, you can plug the bottom one to the dual breakout hoard. This way, even voltage adjust works with a single PSU.
The pinout for the PSU have to be the same on all revisions, or you'll have trouble on the servers. If the breakout board works with one revision, it'll work on all unless the very old revisions are using another pin combined with the one I use to turn on the PSU.
Or you may have 1 or 2 dead PSUs.

Thanks J4bberwock.  Neither PSU turned on for me.  I'll try them individually next chance I get which probably won't be until Monday or so.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
So I ordered a pair of DPS-2000BB from a server supply company and I finally got them yesterday.  They sent me two Rev. 3 which I think to myself great under Rev. 9 so it should be good for the volt mod and all that fun stuff.  Unfortunately when I plug the breakout board to the pair of PSU and connect the power cable I get absolutely nothing.  I take the exact same setup, same power cord, same outlet and same breakout board and plug it into a pair of Rev S8M and it works perfectly.  Has anybody else had any experiences with Rev 3?  I could understand if one of the power supplies was dead, but neither of these power supplies powered on at all.

I believe I never got an older revision than s5 or s6. To try them individually, you can plug the bottom one to the dual breakout hoard. This way, even voltage adjust works with a single PSU.
The pinout for the PSU have to be the same on all revisions, or you'll have trouble on the servers. If the breakout board works with one revision, it'll work on all unless the very old revisions are using another pin combined with the one I use to turn on the PSU.
Or you may have 1 or 2 dead PSUs.

legendary
So I ordered a pair of DPS-2000BB from a server supply company and I finally got them yesterday.  They sent me two Rev. 3 which I think to myself great under Rev. 9 so it should be good for the volt mod and all that fun stuff.  Unfortunately when I plug the breakout board to the pair of PSU and connect the power cable I get absolutely nothing.  I take the exact same setup, same power cord, same outlet and same breakout board and plug it into a pair of Rev S8M and it works perfectly.  Has anybody else had any experiences with Rev 3?  I could understand if one of the power supplies was dead, but neither of these power supplies powered on at all.

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
What do you think about Corsair HX1000i compared to the one mentioned in op?

It also works on 240 volt, and more importantly it possesses that silence mechanism of its fan.

What do you guys recommend still?

The corsair hx1000i is costly 170 to 200 for 1 unit  and  1 wont have enough power for the avalon6 or the antminer s-7

server psu's here with the fans recommended are far quieter then the s-7.

So a quiet expensive atx psu to run the s-7 does not make a lot of sense. you would spend about  3 x 180 to get 3  hx1000i's

they would run 2 s-7's  

the dual 2000/4000 would be able to run 3 s-7's  and cost less.

in both cases the s-7's would be louder then the psu's

but if you want to run an atx with the avalon6 try the evga 1300 g2

it has power enough to run an avalon6 and is pretty quiet.

I am not anti atx but they are not so good for the newer power hungry asic machines.

legendary

It also works on 240 volt, and more importantly it possesses that silence mechanism of its fan.

I'm trying to move away from ATX PSUs and going with server PSUs.  Not all server PSUs are super loud like the IBM 2880/2980 and other have their own fan unlike the DPS-2000BB.  There are breakout boards for many of the HP PSUs as well as for the Dell 750 PSU but those aren't powerful enough on their own to run a S7.  I believe the highest HP PSU with a breakout board is 1200 watts on 208-220v and they don't have as many PCIe connectors that the 2880/2980 and DPS-2000BB have.  If you have 240v and you plan on running multiple S7 or Avalon 6 I would recommend the DPS-2000BB.  The Corsair is expensive and you can't run an S7 off that.  I guess it comes down to what you plan to run with it and how much do you plan on growing.  The only advantage in my eyes for an ATX PSU is that if you ever stop mining you could probably use the PSU to build a PC.
Activity: 406
Merit: 252

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"
Nice work kilo!  I noticed that the 92mm fans have 4 wires though.  Do you only need to connect two of those 4 wires to power them up?

Yes only 2 wires were needed. 
legendary
Nice work kilo!  I noticed that the 92mm fans have 4 wires though.  Do you only need to connect two of those 4 wires to power them up?
legendary
A big key to either kilo's mod or my mod is as follows

my new fans use 25 watts do the job of cooling for 1 2980 or 1 2880 stock oem fans use 60 watts

so my mod drops 20 db and 35 watts

35 x 24 x 30 = 25 kwatts per month or around 2.50 usd a month

kilo17 mod uses    25 watts  for 2x 2980's or 2x 2880's

stock would be 120 watts  so a 95 watt savings 95 watts a month =

95 x 24 x 30  = 68 kwatts per month or around 7 usd a month

I will add my white fan to  my dual 2000/4000 psu.

some time next week  I will demo a really good fan control for these mods

sound level in my basement/den/HT running 2 ½ avalon6's  using the dual 2000/4000 watts  psu with breakout boards

units are in the garage

room for three more units

i turned the 2980 on and the noise level in my den is 38db.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
I've had good luck with NMB fans lasting a long time, not high-performance high-flow like Delta high-end fans but good for what they DO do.
Quite a few of my older computers have 80mm or 92mm NMBs in them (most bought used, unknown how old, yet they still last years).
legendary
aka "whocares"
Like what you have going on there, Kilo! 

THAT should get the job of cooling done for sure.

They are great fans and put out good air flow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YMDCX2E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
Like what you have going on there, Kilo! 

THAT should get the job of cooling done for sure.
legendary
aka "whocares"
Then I took 3 2000's and attached a 180mm fan on each side in a "push/pull" config.

legendary
aka "whocares"
I started out with a couple of NMB fans (great fans) and a piece of Duraplex that cost $10 at Lowes.

I cut out the fan holes and then I used a hot glue gun to anchor it in place. (I also used the hot glue to seal up the holes)

And BAM, a nice quiet and cool pair of 2880's

legendary
aka "whocares"
Nice Phil thanks!  Functionality and safety.

The easiest upgrade to this is  use an almost empty roll of bounty paper towels instead of the next to empty roll of Scott tp. Grin

And saving 35 watts 24/7/365 adds up. 25 kwatts a month at 10 cents = 2.50 in 1 month and  30 bucks a year.

plus those freaking screaming fans have been halted.

I will revisit this mod as I have a real upgrade in mind. (fan speed controller} so that these do 3000 rpm not 3500 rpm

I also want to push the psu at closer to 2800 watts it would be nice  if this mod can do 2800 watts at 3000 rpm.

Still 2400 watts at 3500 rpm is okay.

Great minds think alike -  Grin.
I did something very similar with 92mm fans.  I will upload some pics.  I also found a good use for the monster 180mm fans.
legendary
Nice Phil thanks!  Functionality and safety.

The easiest upgrade to this is  use an almost empty roll of bounty paper towels instead of the next to empty roll of Scott tp. Grin

And saving 35 watts 24/7/365 adds up. 25 kwatts a month at 10 cents = 2.50 in 1 month and  30 bucks a year.

plus those freaking screaming fans have been halted.

I will revisit this mod as I have a real upgrade in mind. (fan speed controller} so that these do 3000 rpm not 3500 rpm

I also want to push the psu at closer to 2800 watts it would be nice  if this mod can do 2800 watts at 3000 rpm.

Still 2400 watts at 3500 rpm is okay.
legendary
Nice Phil thanks!  Functionality and safety.
legendary
tape air leaks

and 75 db screamers are now 53 db

oem fans use 60 watts to move 180cfm

these fans use 25  watts to move 156 cfm

The 2980's were tested at 2400 watts for 2 days  2 ½ avalon6's

Activity: 355
Merit: 276
photo spacing for neat order
legendary
take shape the slit on the side will be taped

those grills will protect you from the blades which will move at 3500 rpm  loud but not insane like the stock fans.

note the pcie to the fans is protected and on the other end the roll of tp blocks air so that all the air hits the psu

the back of the breakout board has live 12 volt power

this flap shields that back of the breakout board
Pages:
Jump to: