Pages:
Author

Topic: US economy will continue to recover - Powell - page 5. (Read 852 times)

Activity: 3080
Merit: 970
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
What is up with these threads related to the US economy these days? The entire world is suffering thanks to COVID-19 people(Not just the USA) and all world economies are under a huge amount of stress, but they will eventually recover with time.

Coming to the presidential elections, Biden needs to be elected to power in my opinion. If Trump gets re-elected, no words could describe the abnormal thinking of the voters who voted him to power.
Activity: 1330
Merit: 569
I was reading Powell (chairman of the FED) statement on US economy, and he’s used the words like starts and stops for the economy, and for a second I started to wonder did I just open an F1 news report?.

It’s pertinent to focus on his words which clearly mean that we may see some positive movements in the economy, but along with it we should brace ourselves for negative side effects too which shall last way longer than we all had initially hoped for.

Further there’s more bad news for the jobless people as he’s claimed that they’ll not be able to land jobs, and thus they will continue to remain jobless in the long run.

This analysis is a big blow to Trump who’s been banking on economic revival to win the elections, and this will even pose a big challenge for Biden (if he wins the elections) because reviving an economy won’t be that easy, and if he fails to revive it then Democrats will badly lose the next elections.

Sources:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/powell-says-us-economy-will-continue-to-recover-with-stops-and-starts-2020-08-27

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2020/06/04/trump-banks-on-the-economy-and-his-reelection-prospects-rebounding-quickly-without-more-government-help/

Every leaders of every economy will continue to express massive optimism even in the face of defeats here and there. My country of residence is at the brink of isolated recession but still, the representatives of the economy are still very much hopeful that the economy is improving and on the path of recovery. The annoying part is when they want to talk about the negative, they would then make comparison with another economy experiencing worse scenario just to still paint the picture that they are doing well. Apparently, that is the one of the core reasons why they are appointed to manage the country's purse.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
Corporations' upcoming quarterly reports for the next year at least are not likely to be looking too rosy.  It's amazing to me that the stock market is still flying high--though I realize that's probably the result of low interest rates and stimulus/unemployment money.  That can't last forever, though.

Why not? The Fed can buy up the entire corporate bond market. They can keep any zombie corporate solvent indefinitely. And they've shown their willingness to do just that.

Combined with the incredibly low yields on bonds and treasuries now, there is zero incentive to exit stock the stock market for safe haven markets, and there are strong returns-based incentives to stay in the market.

I can't find it now but I saw an investor poll recently that said investors were significantly more concerned about Fed policy than economic outlook or stock fundamentals. And in my opinion, that's what is being reflected in the charts. From a TA perspective, the stock market (especially the NASDAQ and S&P 500) looks really bullish. That shows the real underlying supply and demand, and that's what really matters, not company fundamentals.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
Further there’s more bad news for the jobless people as he’s claimed that they’ll not be able to land jobs, and thus they will continue to remain jobless in the long run.
Man, I'm hoping that's not going to be the case, because the unemployment "crisis" that happened after 2008/09 was awful, and I can still remember it vividly.  And he's right about the longer-term consequences of the COVID-19 lockdown.  Corporations' upcoming quarterly reports for the next year at least are not likely to be looking too rosy.  It's amazing to me that the stock market is still flying high--though I realize that's probably the result of low interest rates and stimulus/unemployment money.  That can't last forever, though.

This analysis is a big blow to Trump
Fuck Trump and the blow to him.  May it blow that fucking orange wig all the way down Pennsylvania Ave NW on its way to getting stuck in a cherry blossom tree.

The U.S. election is in November, that's about three months to go, there is no way Trumps government can revive the economy in such a short period of time
Oh hell no, he won't be able to do anything in that time frame--but no doubt he'll tell the voters all the things he's going to do (but never will) in his re-election campaign.  
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
“I think we will get through this period, maybe with some starts and stops, with reasonable growth but ultimately we’re looking at…a couple of years of relatively high unemployment,” Powell said in a question-and-answer session after his Jackson Hole remarks.

“The part of the economy which involves getting people together, and feeding them — flying them around the country, having them sleep in hotels and entertaining them— that part of the economy will find it very difficult to recover. That is a lot of workers. That is millions of people whose are really going to struggle to find work,” Powell said.

Realistic assessment, and what I've been expecting for a while. Stagnant job growth, a continued transition from full-time employment to 1099 workers where there is growth, and associated rising levels of medically uninsured.......all while the stock market goes to the moon.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1224
Life's but a walking shadow!
The U.S. election is in November, that's about three months to go, there is no way Trumps government can revive the economy in such a short period of time, he's reelection or not will depend on what he's done in the last four years and not this remaining three months before the polls (even if it's possible he revives the economy). Trump has made quite a lot of bad decisions as well as statements he failed to keep to, it's up to the voters now.

Powell didn't choose the wrong words there imo, there is no definite direction for the U.S economy atm, of course the government will do everything possible to get things back on track and to get the jobless working again, but it will take time for this to happen, they have been forced to print more money already this period, a move that could also affect the economy later on. It is what it is and the economy is bound to recover slowly.
Activity: 2646
Merit: 686
I was reading Powell (chairman of the FED) statement on US economy, and he’s used the words like starts and stops for the economy, and for a second I started to wonder did I just open an F1 news report?.

It’s pertinent to focus on his words which clearly mean that we may see some positive movements in the economy, but along with it we should brace ourselves for negative side effects too which shall last way longer than we all had initially hoped for.

This analysis is a big blow to Trump who’s been banking on economic revival to win the elections, and this will even pose a big challenge for Biden (if he wins the elections) because reviving an economy won’t be that easy, and if he fails to revive it then Democrats will badly lose the next elections.

Sources:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/powell-says-us-economy-will-continue-to-recover-with-stops-and-starts-2020-08-27

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2020/06/04/trump-banks-on-the-economy-and-his-reelection-prospects-rebounding-quickly-without-more-government-help/

Pages:
Jump to: