Pages:
Author

Topic: USB block erupters are now useless. $5 - $7 each. - page 7. (Read 26025 times)

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1152
It is all about supply and demand.  The tough thing is you can be firm on $20 and if other people are willing to pay $40 and they sell out, well there is no reason for them to cut the price (and profit) when they are selling out regardless. Smiley  The best price for ASICMiner is the highest possible price that still sells out before the next batch is ready.  So far they have done a good job holding to that equation (BE are accessible but you don't see lots of inventory just sitting around). 

What's so brilliant about those block erupters is the price point is just low enough that even people like me, who know damn well buying one is a waste of money, feel that wasting $50 for a cool desk ornament is justifiable.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
USB block erupters are now useless. It is priced too high.

Difficulty is now over 50,810,339
The correct price for USB block erupters should be around $5 to $7 USD each.
No.   But I personally believe they are overpriced.  I see them down to $47 shipped on ebay and am tempted to own one just to play with it.  I would buy in quantity for immediate delivery if they were $20.  A profit case can be made even at numbers in the high $30 range though there is 'very little left on the table' for the buyer.  

I think you will see $20.  Excluding NRE I can't really see production cost being more than $10 in high volume.  Sell 100K unit @ 0.2 BTC ea, spend 0.1 BTC ea to build em collect an easy 10,000 BTC. Smiley  With a low price as long as they have the chance of breaking even in two years I could see people buying them if for nothing other than the novelty of it.

It is all about supply and demand.  The tough thing is you can be firm on $20 and if other people are willing to pay $40 and they sell out, well there is no reason for them to cut the price (and profit) when they are selling out regardless. Smiley  The best price for ASICMiner is the highest possible price that still sells out before the next batch is ready.  So far they have done a good job holding to that equation (BE are accessible but you don't see lots of inventory just sitting around). 
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
USB block erupters are now useless. It is priced too high.

Difficulty is now over 50,810,339
The correct price for USB block erupters should be around $5 to $7 USD each.
No.   But I personally believe they are overpriced.  I see them down to $47 shipped on ebay and am tempted to own one just to play with it.  I would buy in quantity for immediate delivery if they were $20.  A profit case can be made even at numbers in the high $30 range though there is 'very little left on the table' for the buyer. 
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
virtualmaster : there is no logic behind saying "they are a cool toy to show people about bitcoin mining and teach kids" because you could just use your computer to do that
Sure. You could use a book and some apples to show how it works a car or you could buy a toy car for your kid. Which one would he prefer ?
You don't need to answer just look how many people follow this logic.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 110
virtualmaster : there is no logic behind saying "they are a cool toy to show people about bitcoin mining and teach kids" because you could just use your computer to do that
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
They are not useless. They are profitable for the seller.
Mining is however not profitable with them. That was clear from the beginning.
But they can serve a didactical purpose to teach children's on mining.
Would you expect from a small model-truck to be profitable ? They can be still useful even if they are not profitable.
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
I'll take 1 and a time machine, please.
legendary
Activity: 980
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
rofl

cant wait till bitcoins will be 500k each,

i bet those block erupts even at 200$ each made some millionaires by then!

also a unique product can have its own price tag, asicminer is one of the only to timely deliver working asics especially such low scale usb miners, i think they have the market to themselves at the moment for that, so they can make the price what ever they want...

sry but how can you say what the correct price is? who are you to go around telling others what the price of there product is?

make your own product and price it how ever you want...

sorry dont mean to be harsh, but i just dont like that Sad
ROTFL
If bitcoin reach 500k as you say, then you are much much better buying them now instead of getting these "block erupters"

Presuming they live someplace where they can easily buy them without handing over too much information or taking too much risk.

Personally, since I can't even find erupters cheap enough to be worth it for a year's worth of output, it's looking like I'll just have to grit my teeth and find someone reliable on the forum who takes MoneyPak.
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
Given I paid $150 to buy one from overseas and now starting to see them at circa $50, I get a feeling that the price can drop a bit further. Want to get a Raspberry Pi and a couple of decent-sized hubs before I go mad buying quite a few.

Failing that, might try and build one of the Klondike K16 boards myself.
legendary
Activity: 980
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
What, someone's selling discount block erupters?

20 @ $10 please!
NWO
Activity: 392
rofl

also a unique product can have its own price tag, asicminer is one of the only to timely deliver working asics especially such low scale usb miners, i think they have the market to themselves at the moment for that, so they can make the price what ever they want...

sry but how can you say what the correct price is? who are you to go around telling others what the price of there product is?

mine to speculate is retarded, better to buy directly your coin..

That's what I was thinking...
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
rofl

ROTFL
If bitcoin reach 500k as you say, then you are much much better buying them now instead of getting these "block erupters"
Activity: 784
Merit: 501
Block erupters would be nice gifts if they sold for $5. Give them away to family and friends and get them interested in Bitcoin. With the Bitminter java client it's really easy to mine. And if you only mine when your computer is on (which for many people is nearly always) you hardly pay for power.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
rofl

mine to speculate is retarded, better to buy directly your coin..
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
Factory cost to produce them in china is around $1 to $2 per usb block erupters.
Retail price: $5 to $7 max.

Please build the factory and send us some miners! 1000 @ $7
Activity: 168
rofl

Activity: 322
50 @ 7.5
Activity: 134
Sold.
Hell, I'd even pay $7 for them. Sign me up for fifty.
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
+1

I'll take a handful for $5 too.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
There is no such thing as the "correct price".  The correct price is what the market is willing to pay.  I do think that demand is going to dry up in face on the reality of ever increasing difficulty. I wonder if AsicMiner can still move them in volume if they cut the price to 0.1 BTC ea and if so are they making a profit at that price.

As for the $5 being the "correct" price are you willing to sell me your BE for $5?  I get the feeling when people say things like "this ASIC should be $x" they only mean they would buy not sell at that price. Of course if that truly is the correct price they would be happy to sell theirs off at fair value. 
Pages:
Jump to: