Pages:
Author

Topic: Use code XBT, not BTC for bitcoins - page 3. (Read 9775 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
100 satoshis -> ISO code
May 08, 2013, 09:24:20 PM
Two things you're forgetting. Gold is quite often referred to as GLD and silver is referred to as SLV. Plus, in the not-too-distant future all of those other bullshit national currencies aren't going to exist anyways, flushing all of the current ISO labels right down the toilet. The new labels will be BTC, LTC, FRC, NMC, etc.

Yes. But don't you want that future to arrive faster, and help raise the probability that it arrives at all?

Yes, but I'm not convinced that placating the current system is the way to do that.

It's not placating, it's using a larger opponent's strength against him. I see it like this:

http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2012/09/stabilizing-and-attacking-larger-opponents-from-sidemount/
Activity: 614
Merit: 500
May 08, 2013, 09:17:33 PM
Two things you're forgetting. Gold is quite often referred to as GLD and silver is referred to as SLV. Plus, in the not-too-distant future all of those other bullshit national currencies aren't going to exist anyways, flushing all of the current ISO labels right down the toilet. The new labels will be BTC, LTC, FRC, NMC, etc.

Yes. But don't you want that future to arrive faster, and help raise the probability that it arrives at all?

Yes, but I'm not convinced that placating the current system is the way to do that.
legendary
100 satoshis -> ISO code
May 08, 2013, 09:09:58 PM

Activity: 614
May 08, 2013, 09:07:30 PM
legendary
100 satoshis -> ISO code
May 08, 2013, 08:19:07 PM
What the hell is up with all these old necro threads coming back this week? O.o
Are we really running out of topics to discuss?

I have just seen a bunch of threads related to this topic, I wanted to resurrect this thread since it has all been discussed before and so that the new people would see we already had this conversation a long time ago.

Peter, I confess that I didn't find this thread when I kicked off the subject again a few months ago. You were certainly thinking ahead.
However, one new conclusion (thanks grau) is that XBT best represents 100 satoshi, not 1 BTC.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1630511

There are huge advantages. It means Bitcoin can easily be represented in all the world's FX and accounting systems, plus it leaves our favorite BTC as the informal code for one Bitcoin.

As the fx rate comes to exceed $1,000 then quoting rates in XBT will become more sensible.

With all the talk of regulation and seeing some banks boycotting Bitcoin businesses, it is becoming more urgent than ever that Bitcoin becomes meshed into computer systems worldwide. The more it is integrated the harder it will be for the banking system to strangle it, or a single national regulator to attack it.
If the Bitcoin Foundation has any purpose (apart from funding Gavin) then it should be pursuing this a matter of priority.
Activity: 756
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
May 07, 2013, 11:02:15 PM

I have just seen a bunch of threads related to this topic, I wanted to resurrect this thread since it has all been discussed before and so that the new people would see we already had this conversation a long time ago.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
May 07, 2013, 10:59:19 PM
May 07, 2013, 10:18:31 PM
Did I miss something critically important here? Why all the discussion to change the name.

Because non-conformity to ISO 4217 is the only thing stopping them recognizing Bitcoin as a legitimate world currency! \o/

It is not necessary, but in some situations having a proper ISO code would be useful.
legendary
Activity: 1358
July 22, 2011, 05:22:37 AM
Maybe you guys should start a war over this. Help get the Eurozone economy going  Grin

That war should've been started when the politicians had the "wonderful" idea of copying the federal reserve scheme and introduce it in the EU back in the 90's, not because of a common way to use the currency symbol Wink
Activity: 491
July 21, 2011, 03:20:37 PM
I like the IBC idea, internet origins
legendary
July 21, 2011, 02:52:15 PM
Furthermore I don't like the usage of currency symbols anyway since they are applied differently anywhere which only leeds to confusion and misunderstanding in a global community

Exp: USA: $1'000'000.00
         EU:   1.000.000,00 €

I'll take it that you are not from the EU, or else you would know that the Euro symbol (€) is always used BEFORE the ammount, like this: €5.000.000,00(five million euros and zero cents) Wink

Hm, funny thing. I don't know in which part of the EU you are, but in Germany the Euro symbol is always behind the numbers.

Actually this constitutes my point - too confusing.

I'm in Portugal, altho i lived for several years in The Netherlands and they use the sign before the amount, like they do in Belgium. Can't speak about other places cause i haven't been there. But i remember when the Euro was introduced in Portugal and they specificaly said that the symbol should laways come before the amount, so i was thinking it would be like that in the whole EU. It seems it isn't after all   Undecided
Never visited Germany, so i can't tell.

FWIW, in Spain we write it after the number: 123 €.

I recall reading something official (hosted on ecb.europa.eu, or maybe ecb.int, or maybe ecb.eu, or maybe...) about the usage of both the word "EURO" and its symbol, but I'm known for not being able to find something for the second time despite my best efforts...

Maybe you guys should start a war over this. Help get the Eurozone economy going  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
July 21, 2011, 02:36:59 PM
Furthermore I don't like the usage of currency symbols anyway since they are applied differently anywhere which only leeds to confusion and misunderstanding in a global community

Exp: USA: $1'000'000.00
         EU:   1.000.000,00 €

I'll take it that you are not from the EU, or else you would know that the Euro symbol (€) is always used BEFORE the ammount, like this: €5.000.000,00(five million euros and zero cents) Wink

Hm, funny thing. I don't know in which part of the EU you are, but in Germany the Euro symbol is always behind the numbers.

Actually this constitutes my point - too confusing.

I'm in Portugal, altho i lived for several years in The Netherlands and they use the sign before the amount, like they do in Belgium. Can't speak about other places cause i haven't been there. But i remember when the Euro was introduced in Portugal and they specificaly said that the symbol should laways come before the amount, so i was thinking it would be like that in the whole EU. It seems it isn't after all   Undecided
Never visited Germany, so i can't tell.

FWIW, in Spain we write it after the number: 123 €.

I recall reading something official (hosted on ecb.europa.eu, or maybe ecb.int, or maybe ecb.eu, or maybe...) about the usage of both the word "EURO" and its symbol, but I'm known for not being able to find something for the second time despite my best efforts...
legendary
July 21, 2011, 01:47:50 PM
Oh, hey, how about IBC, for Internet currency BitCoin? If what people are saying about alternative currencies being an eventual possibility, having them classified as internet-based as opposed to country or local region based would help. Plus it'll give Bitcoin the "first to use I" status.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
July 20, 2011, 05:28:19 PM
Any standard has exceptions, as has been stated about EUR. So why not push an exception to this standard too and list Bitcoin as BTC?

After all, bitcoin is all about community, and if millions of people use BTC, then BTC becomes the de-facto standard, not vice-versa.

+1

That is what will happen anyway because changing habits is hard.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
July 20, 2011, 05:21:22 PM
Did I miss something critically important here? Why all the discussion to change the name.

Because non-conformity to ISO 4217 is the only thing stopping them recognizing Bitcoin as a legitimate world currency! \o/
Activity: 602
Merit: 501
July 20, 2011, 04:43:55 PM
I like XBC or XBT.
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
thevapebook.com
July 20, 2011, 04:43:02 PM

Activity: 674
July 20, 2011, 04:34:40 PM
Any standard has exceptions, as has been stated about EUR. So why not push an exception to this standard too and list Bitcoin as BTC?

After all, bitcoin is all about community, and if millions of people use BTC, then BTC becomes the de-facto standard, not vice-versa.

Or, well, someone should fly to Bhutan and get them to officially use bitcoin as their national currency Smiley
July 19, 2011, 04:06:03 PM
XBC currently stands for the "European Unit of Account", which was discontinued in 1979. Since that currency is now defunct, I think we can request the code be used for bitcoins.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
July 16, 2011, 12:12:12 PM
Euros should really be EUE - European Union Euros.

I think its important we start with X, but remember x stands for nothing, so dont say it! XAU is gold, not X-gold.

XBT I think is unused, could that work?

Not true - the EU is a supranational organization not a country (at least for now).
So to be consistent it would have to be XEU.

But that EUR was chosen only shows that the ISO commitee isn't consistent anyway

Pages:
Jump to: