Pages:
Author

Topic: Use code XBT, not BTC for bitcoins - page 5. (Read 9775 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
July 15, 2011, 11:04:58 AM
XCN - The "x" coin or, The "x" cartoon network.  I leave that up to user interpretation.

XXX coins?
foo
Activity: 409
Merit: 250
July 15, 2011, 11:01:22 AM
The ISO 4217 currency codes are an international standard

"Standards are paper. I use paper to wipe my butt every day. That’s how much that paper is worth."
  -- Linus Torvalds

Wink
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
July 15, 2011, 10:01:11 AM
I say we just get everyone in Thailand to switch over to Bitcoin and go from there.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001
July 15, 2011, 10:00:10 AM
I say we nominate Bhutan as the "official" home of bitcoins.   Tongue

The alpaca would thrive in Bhutan... I second the motion  Grin
Activity: 252
July 15, 2011, 09:57:12 AM
I say we nominate Bhutan as the "official" home of bitcoins.   Tongue
Activity: 70
Merit: 18
July 15, 2011, 09:51:19 AM
Yes, everybody please stop pretending that bitcoin is an official international currency with an ISO 4217 code of BTC.

And while we're at it, would everybody please stop pretending that money within Eve Online is an official international currency with an ISO 4217 code of ISK.  It is certainly not the same as the Icelandic krona, which DOES go by the ISO abbreviation ISK.  People can not tell the difference and currency markets are in chaos as a result!
Activity: 182
July 15, 2011, 09:39:04 AM
All that research and you didn't already figure out that XBC is already used....

is it? I couldn't find it on the ISO 4217 code list

edit, nm some obsolete European thing used it

Although I really dig doing things logically and the "right way" I have to say, that in this case it might be indeed to late.

Furthermore if found the XBC -Iso-Code here:

http://www.exchangerate.com/currency-iso/european-unit-of-account-9-e-u-a-9-XBC.html

BTW: EUR = Euro ... why? If the rules were applied consistently it should be XEU

I really could live with "BTC" (now that is is somehow established).
BUT I do not like / support the usage of the Thai symbol!
It is confusing and if people really wanted a symbol it should be a new one.

Furthermore I don't like the usage of currency symbols anyway since they are applied differently anywhere which only leeds to confusion and misunderstanding in a global community

Exp: USA: $1'000'000.00
         EU:   1.000.000,00 €

I strongly suggest the usage of iso codes (and BTC while no better proposal comes up)

BTW the rate is BTC/USD = 14.00 or USD/BTC = 0,0714 (the numbers tell you how much of the second currency you have to pay for one unit of the first currency)

Activity: 308
July 15, 2011, 09:37:10 AM
XCN - The "x" coin or, The "x" cartoon network.  I leave that up to user interpretation.

We might be calling them "XCoins" or something anyway if that cocksucker lawyer and shitty countries that allow you to patent someone else's non-physical invention get their way.
July 15, 2011, 09:30:28 AM
July 15, 2011, 09:24:51 AM
IN SUMMARY: Everybody, please stop using the abbreviation BTC and pretending it is a good international abbreviation, and start using XBC to refer to bitcoins.
I can't believe this information is coming out now.   I can see "real" exchanges who already have an established format of the three letter code just dropping whatever label fits their format at the time and that is it.  If this is all formatting for the three letter, then I think 'btc' (the term) is going to end up being out of our hands, much like our taking of the Thai symbol.  Karma lol.    
Activity: 140
BitVapes.com
July 15, 2011, 09:23:36 AM
All that research and you didn't already figure out that XBC is already used....

is it? I couldn't find it on the ISO 4217 code list

edit, nm some obsolete European thing used it
Activity: 308
July 15, 2011, 09:18:51 AM
Activity: 756
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
July 15, 2011, 09:13:03 AM
The ISO 4217 currency codes are an international standard way to refer to currencies. They consist of three letters, written all caps. For currencies issued by nations, the first two letters are a code for the country, and the third letter represents the currency issued. Example national currencies are the USD (United States, Dollar), GBP (Great Britain, Pound), or JPY (Japan, Yen). Non-national currencies are designated by an X (no nation) followed by a two letter code. This can be precious metals, such as XAG (Silver), XAU (Gold), or XPT (Platinum). It can also be international currencies, such as XAF (African Francs), or XCD (East Caribbean Dollars).

Many people have been using the code BTC for bitcoins, which is clearly wrong. There exists a currency BTN (Bhutan, Ngultrum); BT is the country code for Bhutan. BTC, by the code rules, stands for Bhutan Colones, or Bhutan Crunchies, or Bhutan Calafragilistics. BTC is not Bitcoins.

The rules are pretty clear. Bitcoins are not issued by a nation state, so the code should start with X. BitCoins is comprised of two words, so we can abbreviate that BC. So we should use, and ask for international recognition of, XBC. XBC = (Non-national currency) BitCoins.

This code is for use anywhere the official international codes are used. Exchanges should adopt this code immediately, and stop using BTC. For example, "The current exchange rate is 14.15 USD/XBC." Or "Please send payment of 456.78978466 XBC to the following address."

That being said, in an informal setting you can still use the abbreviation "btc" or "Btc" (lower case, to avoid confusion). I realize this is an uphill battle for implementation since the incorrect use of BTC is spread through the entire bitcoin community, but we need to change this NOW while the community is still small rather than later.

If bitcoins do well, in the future we may have very small prices for items and people will want to use millibitcoins or microbitcoins for convenience. (Reminder: 1 satoshi is 0.01 microbitcoin.) I propose using the terms mBC for millibitcoins and µBC for microbitcoins (use uBC if you can't type µ (mu)).

IN SUMMARY: Everybody, please stop using the abbreviation BTC and pretending it is a good international abbreviation, and start using XBC to refer to bitcoins.

EDIT: As was pointed out later in the thread, XBC is already claimed, so I am supporting XBT instead.
Pages:
Jump to: