Pages:
Author

Topic: USMS Silk Road Bitcoin Auction Winning Bid Price? - page 2. (Read 4084 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
I am revising my winning bid price expectation to $620 to $650. Why?

(1) They'd have to pay at least some premium for a big block, anyways;
(2) Wealth creates more wealth and given spread and market price differentials this is more true for arbitrageurs and high or pseudo-high frequency traders today (I say pseudo because this would probably hold with such a large pool even without speed advantages and dark pools); AND
(3) Most importantly, there is a value multiplier effect for every dollar over market that these sell for. For instance, if these sell for $610 people will be ecstatic and the market price will probably jump past $620 because everybody will be ecstatic for dodging the bullet. $620 probably brings us close to the interim high of $666. You probably get diminishing marginal returns on this idea past $620 or $625 but I am just pulling a number out of my backside (admittedly).

In short, they'd be doing themselves a favor by accounting for the market's response to their winning bid -- at least I think. Then again, people have told me today that my posts are bizarre so who knows.

You are totally right. Although I do not think the bidders were probably savvy enough to realize this or to take a bid on that chance alone.

I do however think there were some bidders who:
A) wanted to win because they are competitive
B) wanted government "sanctioned" coins
C) where willing to pay for convenience and transparency
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
I am revising my winning bid price expectation to $620 to $650. Why?

(1) They'd have to pay at least some premium for a big block, anyways;
(2) Wealth creates more wealth and given spread and market price differentials this is more true for arbitrageurs and high or pseudo-high frequency traders today (I say pseudo because this would probably hold with such a large pool even without speed advantages and dark pools); AND
(3) Most importantly, there is a value multiplier effect for every dollar over market that these sell for. For instance, if these sell for $610 people will be ecstatic and the market price will probably jump past $620 because everybody will be ecstatic for dodging the bullet. $620 probably brings us close to the interim high of $666. You probably get diminishing marginal returns on this idea past $620 or $625 but I am just pulling a number out of my backside (admittedly).

In short, they'd be doing themselves a favor by accounting for the market's response to their winning bid -- at least I think. Then again, people have told me today that my posts are bizarre so who knows.
tss
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
I can't seem them selling for more than $600.

Hundreds of bidders. And you can't fathom that just 1 of them bid over $600.

Well I can sure as hell fathom it.

if under 600.. then a really bad sign. you cant buy that many coins without moving the market. 

i bet the price of bitcoin will be within 3% of the purchase price before the moment the actual paid price news comes out
legendary
I can't seem them selling for more than $600.

Hundreds of bidders. And you can't fathom that just 1 of them bid over $600.

Well I can sure as hell fathom it.
Activity: 363
Merit: 250
I can't see them selling for more than $600.
legendary
Think about this: The Second Market Syndicate alone, one of the dozen bidding parties, wants 48,000 bitcoins. The Feds are only selling 30,000. Remember, only one of the dozen bidding parties.

In this case, buying pressure exceeds selling pressure.

Many are low ball offers like this user participating:
"I'm participating with a group through SecondMarket for the auction.  We semi-low balled our bid."
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7545476

Why did Barry Silbert not include the average bidding price of the syndicate auction results ? Roll Eyes

Nice try. This market is going up in a couple of days. One dude, semi-low balling means nothing. In fact, we dont even know what it actually means, so it means less than nothing.
Activity: 196
at least im not the only one who thinks 1200+!
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000
Think about this: The Second Market Syndicate alone, one of the dozen bidding parties, wants 48,000 bitcoins. The Feds are only selling 30,000. Remember, only one of the dozen bidding parties.

Many are low ball offers like this user participating:
"I'm participating with a group through SecondMarket for the auction.  We semi-low balled our bid."
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7545476

Why did Barry Silbert not include the average bidding price of the syndicate auction results ? Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1281
☑ ♟ ☐ ♚
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Buy and sell bitcoins,

Yeah, except the government will be auctioning off many more coins than this in the future. This won't be the only chance that big investors get. And there is always the OTC market...
Activity: 182

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1022
They put a 500 btc sell wall at $600, so they want to win the auction for less than 600.
Activity: 196
When is the auction and how are they running it ? onsite, online etc?
I am guessing they wont stuck them up on ebay :|

auction is over already, results on monday
legendary
Activity: 910
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
When is the auction and how are they running it ? onsite, online etc?
I am guessing they wont stuck them up on ebay :|
Activity: 952
Merit: 281
I bought them at market value
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Think about it: They auctioned off 30,000 BTC.

If anyone wanted to buy 30,000 BTC on an exchange in one go they would drive the price into the sky.

Likely those coins were purchased at a higher price than spot price.

It's not that simple. One could easily say:

"If anyone [USG] wanted to sell 30,000 BTC on an exchange in one go they would drive the price to $0"

This sort of logic gets us nowhere.

Good point.

If anyone wanted to buy 30,000 BTC on an exchange in one go they would drive the price into the sky.

It's not that simple. One could easily say:

"If anyone [USG] wanted to sell 30,000 BTC on an exchange in one go they would drive the price to $0"

This sort of logic gets us nowhere.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

Sources say $789

False. My sources say sub-$550, and I know some pretty important people.  Roll Eyes Tongue
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 5069
Sources say $789
Pages:
Jump to: