Author

Topic: Vanitygen: Vanity bitcoin address generator/miner [v0.22] - page 170. (Read 1153383 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
Ya, I tried regex with GPU too and it just went off to la la land. Doesn't work and has a message about using the CPU for regex.

So I guess you could run it with -k (keep going) and pipe the output thru grep or something and collect matches, or use them to trigger killing the process. Or just collect them in a file and grep it later. I haven't tried this.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
Is this true?  I have never set up for GPU vanity generation but I always just assumed that you could - if you want to - use regular expressions on the GPU version.  Of course all that checking of the results would slow you down but that is the price you would pay.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
DOH just realized you can't use regular expression w/ GPU.  Given that regular expressions are next to useless.  A good CPU = 200 KH/s.  A good GPU = 20MH/s. 
donator
Gerald Davis
After reading more carefully what you really want is:

\A1TCa[1-9]{4}

I just tried it and it works.

Thanks for your help.  \A instead of ^ for start of string.  I likely wouldn't have got that.
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
I meant: Just use vanitygen to generate addresses with your digits. You will get a lot of addresses which start with your pattern, and only some that have your pattern somewhere in between. It doesn't matter how long the digit sequence is. Then afterwards you can filter the resulting list.

I haven't tried regex matching with vanitygen, so I don't know if it can work. What you describes sounds like a bug.

Hmm.  I got you.  So if the entire pattern is 8 digits and the address is 34 digits then there is equal chance of it finding the pattern starting @ digit 2, 3 ...... 26.  We only want the patterns which begin @ digit 2 so one in 26 should be good.

I am having a slow morning this morning.  I had to re-read your post twice before I got it.
Actually, now I'm confused. It should return addresses starting with "1TCa" much more often than having "1TCa" in the middle, because the first character is always a "1". If it doesn't, then something's weird.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
After reading more carefully what you really want is:

\A1TCa[1-9]{4}

I just tried it and it works.
donator
Gerald Davis
I meant: Just use vanitygen to generate addresses with your digits. You will get a lot of addresses which start with your pattern, and only some that have your pattern somewhere in between. It doesn't matter how long the digit sequence is. Then afterwards you can filter the resulting list.

I haven't tried regex matching with vanitygen, so I don't know if it can work. What you describes sounds like a bug.

Hmm.  I got you.  So if the entire pattern is 8 digits and the address is 34 digits then there is equal chance of it finding the pattern starting @ digit 2, 3 ...... 26.  We only want the patterns which begin @ digit 2 so one in 26 should be good.

I am having a slow morning this morning.  I had to re-read your post twice before I got it.

donator
Gerald Davis
It's about 58 times more likely to find addresses that start with your pattern. You could do a filtering step afterwards…

Yeah that is an option but that is a lot of filtering.  I was just searching for 1 numeric digit as a test.  Ultimately I would want a 4 digit or 5 digit sequence. 

The 4 digit address space is 58^4 and the valid range is 9^4 so only 1 in 1724 will be valid. 
The 5 digit address space is 58^4 and the valid range is 9^5 so only 1 in 11,115 will be valid. 

I am assuming that based on your answer it isn't possible to use regular expressions and limit the search to start of string.   If that is the case I guess I could modify the code.
It's about 58 times more likely to find addresses that start with your pattern. You could do a filtering step afterwards…
donator
Gerald Davis
I seem to be having a problem w/ regular expression option.

I want to use a regular expression but only at the beginning of the address.

For example:
I assumed ^1TCa[1-9] would look for addresses which match

1TCa1....
1TCa2....
1TCa3....
etc

however it returns things like:
16Xo9HWAexrC1TCa21T51vhUBCesyZ58KKU

I skimmed through the thread and searched for the word "regular" so if it was already covered I must have missed it.

It looks like in the thread people are searching minus the "1" so can regular expression searches not be limited to the front of address.

The long version of what I am looking for is something like this

1TCaXXXX
where XXXX is a 4 digit number sequence (obviously only 1 to 9 due to base 58 limits).
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036
I'm worried about running my video card at full for long periods of time because I don't have any kind of cooling other than the chasis fan and the fan in the card itself.  When I run the ocl version, it gives me a timeframe until the probability approaches 100%.

My question is, can I run it for a bit, then quit and run it later, or will it re-find the same old tries?  Do I need to let it run until it finds it, or can I for example close it at 1% and then just look for 1% each day until I find it?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.  I understand what probability means and that it's just brute force guessing, but the fact that it gives me a time frame makes me wonder if it has a certain starting seed, which would mean re-starting it over and over, doing a little each day, would not be effective in finding a solution.

So, do I need to run it all the way through or can I just do a little bit each day?

Interested in this too. Hope we get a comprehensive answer.

There is an answer, just five pages back: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.611858
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
It should be fine to start and stop the process. Just like mining, previous hashes have no effect on later hashes. Even if you manually set the seed, then you still don't get the same hashes.  Your calculations for time to solve will be less accurate, but the probability to find the key is the same no matter how many times you have already tried.

EDIT: See the link from deepceleron below
Activity: 518
I'm worried about running my video card at full for long periods of time because I don't have any kind of cooling other than the chasis fan and the fan in the card itself.  When I run the ocl version, it gives me a timeframe until the probability approaches 100%.

My question is, can I run it for a bit, then quit and run it later, or will it re-find the same old tries?  Do I need to let it run until it finds it, or can I for example close it at 1% and then just look for 1% each day until I find it?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.  I understand what probability means and that it's just brute force guessing, but the fact that it gives me a time frame makes me wonder if it has a certain starting seed, which would mean re-starting it over and over, doing a little each day, would not be effective in finding a solution.

So, do I need to run it all the way through or can I just do a little bit each day?

Interested in this too. Hope we get a comprehensive answer.
Activity: 793
Merit: 1026

Activity: 560
Merit: 501
What version is litecoin?  I am wanting to generate a vanity address for it and don't know what to put for the network byte.

Or better yet, how do you figure out the version for any alt-chain?  I'm assuming for litecoin it is L in some different base. I tried 0x32, but that didn't work.  All I know is that bitcoin is 0.

$ vanitygen -X L

Activity: 742
What version is litecoin?  I am wanting to generate a vanity address for it and don't know what to put for the network byte.

Or better yet, how do you figure out the version for any alt-chain?  I'm assuming for litecoin it is L in some different base. I tried 0x32, but that didn't work.  All I know is that bitcoin is 0.

$ vanitygen -X L
Activity: 409
Merit: 251
Crypt'n Since 2011
Finally was able to compile a fresh oclvanitygen Windows binary.  Getting 18.3 Mkey/s on both of my 5770's for a total of 36.6 Mkey/s.  Should be able to get a 8 (7+1)character vanity in 4.5hrs ... Wait a second... It already Completed! Sweet!

New Address: 1JayCoinAX1hVGZkXH7a67P4nzDG2GLJPs

That was kind of a pain.  Anyone want a zip file of the compiled windows binary.  I made a zip file with the binaries and includes. Unzip and run!
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Found the problem. PEBKAC lack of patience error  Grin Just had to wait for the thing to fully launch before it would respond

EDIT: Never mind. Even unlocking the wallet doesn't help. pywallet corrpts the walet.dat file when I try to import keys regardless of whether it's unlocked or not. Sucks I can't encrypt my wallet due to this. (keeping the entire folder encrypted using Windows though)
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata

Judging by the following tool in the contrib directory, the command is:
Code:
bitcoind walletpassphrase [passphrase] [time in minutes]

Good luck!

Ok, n00b question. I'm getting a
error: couldn't connect to server

Running on Win7, not launching as Admin, but bitcoind given all access through firewall. It runs fine if I run bitcoind by itself without any parameters.
I guess I need to know how to send it RPC commands after I launch it, or something. Please help

ok, the normal procedure is... close the GUI client, open up a terminal (cmd in windows), navigate to the dir where you  know "bitcoind" is found, launch it (this step is important and depends on you previously closing any Bitcoin gui instance) and wait a few minutes untill it starts up. Usually it takes the same amount of time for bitcoin-qt or bitcoind to start, the last it's a little faster sometimes.
After following all the previous steps you can try sending some commands, like "bitcoind getinfo" for example and see if it responds. Try "bitcoind help" for a complete list of all the commands. Hope this helps  Roll Eyes
Jump to: