Author

Topic: Vanitygen: Vanity bitcoin address generator/miner [v0.22] - page 171. (Read 1153383 times)

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
ouch, I just learned something new. Thank you Wink

lol, does it always hurt when you learn something? that'd suck.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
Can a vanity address be hashed by one person for the sole purpose of giving it to another, along with the password, whereupon the new owner is able to change the password locking out the one who created it? If so, reply with a brief outline of how this is done or, at the very least, point me toward a post that explains this

We have discussed this at length above and it can be done as follows:

You create a standard private/public key pair and send just the public key to the second person and keep the private key secret.
Instead of creating new random key pairs from the standard starting point they create them from your public key point.
If they find the vanity public address you are looking for they can send you the vanity private and public keys they created based on the public key you sent them.
You can then multiply the private key they send you and the private key you kept secret together to get the final private key for the vanity address.

The person that worked on the project for you has no way of knowing the final private key.  You are the only one that can know it because you are the only one that has both the private keys needed to muliply together to get the final private key for the vanity public address.
As also discussed in detail in this and other threads this could be the basis for a distributed vanity address mining operation where one person could enlist many (hundreds?) of other to search for a very difficult to find vanity address and then pay the one who finds it.  Kind of like mining - so it has been called "vanity address mining".  The beauty is that it can be done in a totally secure way where none of the miners know the final private key - only the customer can calculate it.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
I'll try this when i finished my mining.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
Can a vanity address be hashed by one person for the sole purpose of giving it to another, along with the password, whereupon the new owner is able to change the password locking out the one who created it? If so, reply with a brief outline of how this is done or, at the very least, point me toward a post that explains this

We have discussed this at length above and it can be done as follows:

You create a standard private/public key pair and send just the public key to the second person and keep the private key secret.
Instead of creating new random key pairs from the standard starting point they create them from your public key point.
If they find the vanity public address you are looking for they can send you the vanity private and public keys they created based on the public key you sent them.
You can then multiply the private key they send you and the private key you kept secret together to get the final private key for the vanity address.

The person that worked on the project for you has no way of knowing the final private key.  You are the only one that can know it because you are the only one that has both the private keys needed to muliply together to get the final private key for the vanity public address.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

Judging by the following tool in the contrib directory, the command is:
Code:
bitcoind walletpassphrase [passphrase] [time in minutes]

Good luck!

Ok, n00b question. I'm getting a
error: couldn't connect to server

Running on Win7, not launching as Admin, but bitcoind given all access through firewall. It runs fine if I run bitcoind by itself without any parameters.
I guess I need to know how to send it RPC commands after I launch it, or something. Please help
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077
Sweet! Thanks guys!

I like it when a plan comes together.

Now, I have a question. (may have been addressed in this long thread, so sorry for asking again)

Can a vanity address be hashed by one person for the sole purpose of giving it to another, along with the password, whereupon the new owner is able to change the password locking out the one who created it? If so, reply with a brief outline of how this is done or, at the very least, point me toward a post that explains this.

~Bruno~

TL;DR: No.

Full version: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key

Hope this helps.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Sweet! Thanks guys!

I like it when a plan comes together.

Now, I have a question. (may have been addressed in this long thread, so sorry for asking again)

Can a vanity address be hashed by one person for the sole purpose of giving it to another, along with the password, whereupon the new owner is able to change the password locking out the one who created it? If so, reply with a brief outline of how this is done or, at the very least, point me toward a post that explains this.

~Bruno~

legendary
Sweet! Thanks guys!
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
I got oclvanitygen running on my miner just for fun.

Fibonachi: 11235813yoNV9F45KjwRiBYnYFufMunTj8

I was originally going to try for 1123581321, but that would take a few years with just one of my graphics cards trying it.  I'd rather make coins with that much time.

I would still love an easy way to import these keys besides with strongcoin.  I don't think pywallet supports the encrypted wallet format yet.

It doesn't, but you can create a new unencrypted one, import your address, and move all your money out of the encrypted one, before encrypting the new one. Don't know if there is a way to extract keys out of encrypted wallets though :/

or you could use the comandline options and unlock your wallet for 10-15 minutes, enough time to import few private keys with pywallet Wink

I ca't find the command line to do this. Can you help please?
Code:

Good luck!

exactly, only thing time is entered in seconds
Activity: 560
Merit: 501

I was originally going to try for 1123581321, but that would take a few years with just one of my graphics cards trying it.  I'd rather make coins with that much time.

I would still love an easy way to import these keys besides with strongcoin.  I don't think pywallet supports the encrypted wallet format yet.

It doesn't, but you can create a new unencrypted one, import your address, and move all your money out of the encrypted one, before encrypting the new one. Don't know if there is a way to extract keys out of encrypted wallets though :/

or you could use the comandline options and unlock your wallet for 10-15 minutes, enough time to import few private keys with pywallet Wink

Code:

Good luck!
legendary

I was originally going to try for 1123581321, but that would take a few years with just one of my graphics cards trying it.  I'd rather make coins with that much time.

I would still love an easy way to import these keys besides with strongcoin.  I don't think pywallet supports the encrypted wallet format yet.

legendary

np, i could use some help too on the p2p forum, sent you a pm  Cheesy
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1208
I support freedom of choice
legendary
I tried 1I and it showed this error:
Invalid character 'I' in prefix '1I'

I also tried with a char like "à" but it didn't work well.
Are there some chars that aren't allowed? ( or are them bugs? )

bitcoin addresses use base58 encoding link, so you will have have to stick with that charmap
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1208
I support freedom of choice
I tried 1I and it showed this error:
Invalid character 'I' in prefix '1I'

I also tried with a char like "à" but it didn't work well.
Are there some chars that aren't allowed? ( or are them bugs? )
Activity: 742

Oh I didn't realize that it worked like that.  I am going to have to do some experimenting now.
legendary

legendary

Activity: 742

Jump to: