Pages:
Author

Topic: Vanitygen: Vanity bitcoin address generator/miner [v0.22] - page 9. (Read 1152778 times)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0
I tried this a long while ago but ran into troubles on Mac when trying oclvanitygen.

Samr7 stopped development of vanitygen, what is currently the best github repo to get a version that works on Mac?
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 6769
Currently not much available - see my websitelink
the hole vanity shit is a bad idea! Always use a new address to send and always a new to receive. -- END --

That is Bitcoin! All other use is stupid!
Well, I disagree here, at least to the first part. And in my opinion, there a quite a few very good use cases for vanity addresses or at least where it makes no difference to use a vanity address or not. I don't see a problem to receive small donations or signature campaign rewards to a vanity address, where your address is public on the site / forum anyways. Or it's a good thing to use it on Bitcointalk to stake your Bitcoin address and secure your account in case you get hacked. For doing so you don't even have to send Bitcoin to this vanity address.

Even if you are not planning to use your vanity address it's a very good way for everyone to get a feeling how impossible it is to guess (brute-force) another private key. Everyone can try it on his own device.
Activity: 561
Merit: 517
Trustless IceColdWallet
the hole vanity shit is a bad idea! Always use a new address to send and always a new to receive. -- END --

That is Bitcoin! All other use is stupid!
Activity: 1652
Merit: 583
xUSD - The PRIVATE stable coin - Haven Protocol
-snip- my GTX 1060 3 GB searches through ~40Mkey/sec.
What is the Operating System that you're using?
It's usually 30~ish Mkey/sec for me on a 1060 (Windows7 SP2 updated with drivers).

Windows 10 Pro build 17134, Nvidia's latest Game Ready drivers (v418.81) and the Lifeboat version of oclvanitygen. I'm also running an EVGA GTX 1060 SC which is a bit higher clocked than stock cards (1.607 GHz base/1.835 GHz boost versus stock at 1.506 GHz base/1.708 GHz boost) which could account for the differences.

Anyone tried to run on W10 and AMD cards maybe?
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282
It's usually 30~ish Mkey/sec for me on a 1060 (Windows7 SP2 updated with drivers).

Windows 10 Pro build 17134, Nvidia's latest Game Ready drivers (v418.81) and the Lifeboat version of oclvanitygen. I'm also running an EVGA GTX 1060 SC which is a bit higher clocked than stock cards (1.607 GHz base/1.835 GHz boost versus stock at 1.506 GHz base/1.708 GHz boost) which could account for the differences.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius

@martinadoulet The question is how long you're willing to wait for the result; talking about processing power, even a Core2Duo™ is enough to make a personalized 4-1st-characters vanitygen address within an hour or less if you're lucky. And that's way below the power consumption of an AC.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282
How much processing power do you need to run a vanity generator/miner today? I would guess it will use lots of electricity for the task.

You can use any device, but some are faster than others. My A8-7410 laptop CPU searches through ~200kkeys/sec, my Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.7 GHz searches through ~2Mkeys/sec, and my GTX 1060 3 GB searches through ~40Mkey/sec.
Activity: 910
Merit: 452
Check your coin privilege
How much processing power do you need to run a vanity generator/miner today? I would guess it will use lots of electricity for the task.

The same processing power you needed from day 1 of bitcoin's existence.

Like people explained above, you're just randomly sweeping through millions of bitcoin addresses to find one that fits your criteria. It doesn't get worse as time goes. In fact, the chance of you colliding and finding a vanity address someone else used probably went up by a micro-nano-milli-trillion zeroes percent, so good luck!
Activity: 5
Activity: 34
Merit: 2
if Vanitygen would always start a bruteforce from 0000000
It doesn't.

Thank you, i thought they all start from the same point instead of always being random from the beginning! That helps
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Are Vanitygen less safe than random Adresses since they were bruteforced?
No.

if Vanitygen would always start a bruteforce from 0000000
It doesn't.

Think of it this way: instead of generating 1 random private key, you generate a billion random private keys. Then, you choose the one address you like, and use the private key that belongs to it. In the end, you still end up with a random private key.
Activity: 34
Merit: 2
Hello general question:
Are Vanitygen less safe than random Adresses since they were bruteforced?

Im dont have too much knowledge in programming but if Vanitygen would always start a bruteforce from 0000000.. until it finds a match that means that a bruteforce / collider would find those adresses first because they are on the very low end of the private key scale.

Is this assumption correct or are those keys as safe as a totally random one?
legendary
Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122
The best answer would be to try it by yourself. Theoretically, it should be faster than CPU/GPU though. Personally I think OCL is fast enough to create an address/key pair. On top of that, we can use split key too. Loyce has a nice tutorial about this.
Why does it has to be split key? I see many ppl rent AWS to run vanitygen for normal key pair but never seen any private key get leak, are there really any incident that VM service stalk on ppl activity to steal key?

If you generate your own private key it makes no difference as long as you're sure no one else has access to it.

Split key generation is used when someone has the processing power, and wants to generate a vanity address for someone else. None of them know the private key unless they have both split solutions to it.

There's a more simple explanation. Say you generate a key and the private key in base6 looks like

Code:
111112222233333444445555500000111112222233333444445555500000111112222233333444440000011111222223333

That's your half private key (it would be in WIF format most likely). Now someone goes and generates a private key with your partial public key. The private key returned is

Code:
123451234512345123451234512345123451234512345123451234512345123451234512345123451234512345123451234

You add their private key with your private key and boom. You'll see your vanity address that they generated for you. I'm just on a mobile device at the moment so can't calculate the public key or what these two numbers added together would be, but hopefully that's a half decent explaination.
Merit: 452
Check your coin privilege
The best answer would be to try it by yourself. Theoretically, it should be faster than CPU/GPU though. Personally I think OCL is fast enough to create an address/key pair. On top of that, we can use split key too. Loyce has a nice tutorial about this.
Why does it has to be split key? I see many ppl rent AWS to run vanitygen for normal key pair but never seen any private key get leak, are there really any incident that VM service stalk on ppl activity to steal key?

If you generate your own private key it makes no difference as long as you're sure no one else has access to it.

Split key generation is used when someone has the processing power, and wants to generate a vanity address for someone else. None of them know the private key unless they have both split solutions to it.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange

AFAIK no, but most VPS services log some of users activity which raises some privacy concern.

It's just a security practice and IMO better safe than sorry. Additionally by split key, even if your VPS got hacked, your full private key won't be leaked.
Merit: 351
If we run their program or vanitygen on it, how many keys/s can it archived?

legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
So i bump into Bitcoin Collider https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/655j0r/large_bitcoin_collider_tried_over_3000_trillion/ on reddit & discover its members consider using FPGA for better performance, this is the first time i heard of this device. If we run their program or vanitygen on it, how many keys/s can it archived?
Some examples of FPGAs are FPGA mining cards which is mainly used for mining and as far as I know LBC was optimized (if not the old versions, the latest) to use it efficiently.
On the other hand, Vanitygen is optimized for Processors while Oclvanitygen is optimized for GPUs, I don't know if it will run with FPGA either.

So the answer would be obvious.
But there are forks that have different tweaks supporting different type of devices (even FPGAs)
Activity: 3
Does anybody know how to modify this?
I found a post on bitcoin stackexchange show how to create a bitcoin address from given hex private key

In vanitygen.c

Replace
Code:
 EC_KEY_generate_key(pkey);
with
Code:
            BIGNUM *res;
            BN_init(&start);
            res = &start;
            BN_hex2bn(&res, "3B1BCC5A67F38853810972B1DA8A67148FAD78C6CD6F22B2C823D141BE59C81C"); //Set up hex private key
            vg_set_privkey(res, pkey);
& remove case
Code:
if (++npoints >= rekey_at)

I intend to replace the input hex private key with function like hashcat to recover lost pivate key like this
Code:
"?1?1?1?1?1?1?1"+"A67F38853810972B1DA8A67148FAD78C6CD6F22B2C823D141BE59C81C"
When i test it on a single hex private key,by default the function keep multiply the key for new address instead of keep try new key completely, if i change it to my given function, it maybe took awhile for the application to generate new key again & the code doesn't even use 100% cpu power, there're no further instruction in the post. Is anybody know to how to adjust the code to check address from mutiple generated key without multiply it. If possible, the performance will stay around like original code or at least decline to 1-20 times, i wouldn't mind that. Thank You
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
Have anybody try to run vanitygen on Google's TPU cloud machine or any HPC service? What's the best keysearch rates has it archive so far? Huh
Why would you run it online? It is risky to do that because your data could be intercepted.
You should run vanitygen offline on a secure computer. Using OpenCL is fast enough for me.
I think his point is Google's TPU or HPU can generate vanity address at faster rate. While it's true that the information could be intercepted, using encrypted connection could solve the problem.
Using split key is a much better solution, so that Google itself can't know your private key either. They can still know you generated the address through.
I totally forget about split key. But google knowing user generate vanity address doesn't matter unless you could know bitcoin address just from partial private key, brute force to get private from an address with partial private key or have serious privacy concern.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Have anybody try to run vanitygen on Google's TPU cloud machine or any HPC service? What's the best keysearch rates has it archive so far? Huh
Why would you run it online? It is risky to do that because your data could be intercepted.
You should run vanitygen offline on a secure computer. Using OpenCL is fast enough for me.
I think his point is Google's TPU or HPU can generate vanity address at faster rate. While it's true that the information could be intercepted, using encrypted connection could solve the problem.
Using split key is a much better solution, so that Google itself can't know your private key either. They can still know you generated the address through.
Pages:
Jump to: