Pages:
Author

Topic: Vertcoin - 1 | ASIC - 0 | Lyra2RE | Decentralised | GPU Mineable | Open Source - page 82. (Read 415431 times)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Can someone please post the update news here as I seem to always have difficulties getting the official page to load.

Thanks
Vertans,

Since my last blog post, a botnet has started mining on the network and is taking up a large portion of the mining power (easily over 50%). As a result we have decided to hard fork the network to a refactored version of Lyra2RE with new parameters and different padding algorithms. Our current experimental changes have produced at least a 5x ratio of GPU to CPU hashrate. We hope with additional changes and optimisation we can further increase this ratio in order to nullify the botnet. I imagine the fork itself will occur some time in August after the wallet has been updated and new miners have been written.

The new test coin is effectively ready for release but is currently on hiatus due to our efforts in dealing with the botnet. It will be released shortly after the hard fork has occurred and the network has stabilised. It makes sense to hard fork Vertcoin first and then release the new coin so that we only have to fork one network rather than two. The coin itself will act as a testbed for future Vertcoin features and updates with more regular wallet releases. Most future changes will first be made to the new coin before being merged into Vertcoin itself once we have determined they are stable. This will allow us to be far more agile when prototyping new features without the fear of endangering the maturity and stability of the long established Vertcoin network.

I have not as of yet received any offers from people wishing to help us update the Android wallet. The bounty was originally set at 1000 VTC but I am willing to take offers from developers stating the bounty which would be required for them to complete the task. Once again, please do not hesitate to contact me at: [email protected].
Kind Regards,

James
Activity: 60
Can someone please post the update news here as I seem to always have difficulties getting the official page to load.

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050
Then Danila launches a botnet for GPUs.
you mean Ipominer ? (should be obvious by now, also botnet are still illegal,may-be reporting to the authority could help at some point)
lets assume that people having gpu's in their computer would notice  Grin
Activity: 169
Merit: 100

1) that type of botnet is tougher
2) he would have to get the new payload to the already infected machines
3) people are more apt to notice when their video card sounds like a jet engine and remove the malware
4) it may not be an ideal solution but the important thing is to adapt, sitting on your ass doing nothing gets vertcoin no where
Activity: 2366
Merit: 305
Duelbits - $100k Bonus/week
HR
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011
Transparency & Integrity

Ready to go. Any final suggestions?

http://asistec-ti.com/tba/midyearreport2015.htm

Noblecoin is gonna increase by 1500000x, rly?  Roll Eyes

That's a theoretical ratio to BTC. I guess it comes down to what we think BTC might be worth someday, and then the same with NOBL (and VTC, etc. etc.) as it relates in practice.

http://asistec-ti.com/tba/pricecalcs2015.htm
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
HR
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011
Transparency & Integrity
legendary
Activity: 1292

Almost all the kernel time is spent on the lyra part (which is essentially Blake on a bigger internal structure). It is slow because it doesn't fit in the registers nor in local ram; and the access is random, not sequential.
So if you want to make it GPU friendly, the only way is removing the "lyra" from "lyra2re". What remains is something similar to a subset of x11.

maybe is the time for worldwide contest for GPU oriented algo, with significant sequential memory access, utilising minimum 1GB memory.

so let's get back to scrypt-n? LoL!

1. Generate 1GB PsuedoRandom data using SHA512.

2. For each 64K block - Repeat 50 times.
    2.1 Use the last 32bits as a pointer to another 64K block.
    2.2 XOR the two 64K blocks together.
    2.3 AES CBC encrypt the result using the last 256 bits as a key.

3. Use the last 32bits%2^14 as the solution. If the solution==1968, the block is solved.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-memorycoin-modern-cpu-pow-completely-gpuasic-free-no-free-pos-598187

maybe some tuning of this, for more sequential access
maybe much greater block size, maybe not AES CBC but CTR - for strong parallelisation.

?
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer

Almost all the kernel time is spent on the lyra part (which is essentially Blake on a bigger internal structure). It is slow because it doesn't fit in the registers nor in local ram; and the access is random, not sequential.
So if you want to make it GPU friendly, the only way is removing the "lyra" from "lyra2re". What remains is something similar to a subset of x11.

maybe is the time for worldwide contest for GPU oriented algo, with significant sequential memory access, utilising minimum 1GB memory.

so let's get back to scrypt-n? LoL!
legendary
Activity: 1292

legendary
Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018
Well, looks like Ipominer doesnt offer VTC anymore for regular folks, if it is enabled as he said, its now for Danila only. Btw, since that discovery, he cancelled his name in his stats, so now Danila==Anonymous. Just check the stats for neoscrypt (ftc - 95% of reward for danila), zifr(zrc - 100% Danila), X11 (switching, mostly DASH and START - 86% Danila).

Ha, so it really should be called DanilaPool.

What a joke of a pool.

I mined there for a good long time.  After this I don't mine there anymore.
legendary
Black Belt Developer
What do you think, are there private kernels with improved rates?
If yes, how much faster do you think they are?

As for the botnets, all GPU coins are susceptible to botnet mining, however the good coins give GPUs enough advantage over CPUs so that the combined mining power of all GPUs is not less than or equal to one single botnet.

Now look what we have here, just a couple of posts above.

I don't know of any faster private kernel, even though I've heard of them at times.
There are arguments for making gpu mining slower compared to cpu. For example making mining unprofitable for gpu farms.
Then there is that old romantic idea of everybody mining on their laptop, too :-)

Well the algo is being modified at the moment so that it favours GPUs over CPUs. Most likely the easiest way to do this would be to swap out one of the X* algos for another one that is better with GPUs

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

As for the botnets, all GPU coins are susceptible to botnet mining, however the good coins give GPUs enough advantage over CPUs so that the combined mining power of all GPUs is not less than or equal to one single botnet.

I don't know of any faster private kernel, even though I've heard of them at times.
There are arguments for making gpu mining slower compared to cpu. For example making mining unprofitable for gpu farms.
Then there is that old romantic idea of everybody mining on their laptop, too :-)

Well the algo is being modified at the moment so that it favours GPUs over CPUs. Most likely the easiest way to do this would be to swap out one of the X* algos for another one that is better with GPUs
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
Well, looks like Ipominer doesnt offer VTC anymore for regular folks, if it is enabled as he said, its now for Danila only. Btw, since that discovery, he cancelled his name in his stats, so now Danila==Anonymous. Just check the stats for neoscrypt (ftc - 95% of reward for danila), zifr(zrc - 100% Danila), X11 (switching, mostly DASH and START - 86% Danila).

Ha, so it really should be called DanilaPool.

What a joke of a pool.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

You may say Satoshi was a dreamer, but he's not the only one...  Tongue
legendary
Black Belt Developer

Activity: 98

Pages:
Jump to: