Pages:
Author

Topic: VPNs - do you use it - page 3. (Read 3826 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
July 26, 2014, 04:40:48 PM
Usually I don't care of connecting through VPN, unless I'm doing something what really needs anonymity.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
July 26, 2014, 04:38:08 PM
I use nVPN , fast servers, reliable, and you can also make payments in bitcoin.

Bypasses any restrictions and closed ports from ISP.

You should all use some kind of VPN, weather you are trying to make anonnymous transactions,  download copyrighted material etc..
Activity: 346
Merit: 102
July 26, 2014, 03:39:47 PM
I have nothing to hide! So that's why I don't use VPN or TOR ... but when I want to do something I know how hide myself!

I have a perfect combination between VPN/Proxy/TOR that works perfectly! Smiley
Even if you have nothing to hide, if you were to even access a site with an owner with malicious intent that is related to bitcoin then the site owner would know that you likely own some amount of bitcoin and now has your IP address (a way to connect to your computer).

Also if you are ever using a public network (school, library, public wifi, hotel internet) then it would be easy for someone to "listen" to your internet traffic and get credentials to any site that you login to or potentially steal cookies that are sent to you, allowing them to stay logged in to your accounts.
Activity: 56
July 26, 2014, 02:21:10 PM
I use VPN`s since I dont want any person want to know my location.
Activity: 568
Merit: 500
July 26, 2014, 09:23:56 AM
No for me. But I do use Tor to assess some sites, which have blocked access from my country. Wink
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
July 26, 2014, 09:01:17 AM
Hi!

As I have understood, VPNs (Virtual Private Networks, used to hide online identity) are popular among many BTC users. Do you use a VPN and if so why/why not?

Also, I would like to hear which VPNs accept Bitcoins.

Regards,
Sword Smith

If you look at the footer of the forums here, you'll see:

That said, paid VPN's are a fine thing in some ways but mostly protects from some sort of DNS-hijacking that could occur in private WiFi networks easily (metasploit has some fine examples, like redirect from facebook.com to login.facebook.at) where the page asks for confirmation etc. Most avg users will give you the user/pass for fb, twitter and so on. Another way that doesn't work these days is sniffing non-https connections, but almost every website have an https.

That one seems to redirect to the German login page for Facebook. Huh
Activity: 784
July 26, 2014, 04:03:51 AM
I do use it to access certain sites that my ISP block.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002
July 26, 2014, 03:36:46 AM
I have nothing to hide! So that's why I don't use VPN or TOR ... but when I want to do something I know how hide myself!

I have a perfect combination between VPN/Proxy/TOR that works perfectly! Smiley
Activity: 1512
Merit: 326
July 26, 2014, 03:22:27 AM
vpn still can track by hacked not stupid they have more tools to break you security . thats why need more security when online its important and visit unfamilliar website its really dangerous if you have many money in your investment or important data else.
Activity: 434
Loose lips sink sigs!
July 26, 2014, 02:58:04 AM
I do, but only for security when working from home or on the road.
Activity: 446
Merit: 10
July 25, 2014, 07:43:02 PM
I find them very useful specially to access sites with country restricition Wink
Activity: 672
July 25, 2014, 06:53:58 PM
I only use VPN to improve security when using hotel internet or free wifi networks, not to hide my identity or anything.
Activity: 686
A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night
July 25, 2014, 06:38:14 PM
Well VPNs make especially much sense when you're connected to an unprotected wireless network. Becuase VPNs effectively encrypt your complete traffic to the VPN-server, therefore the wireless connection (which is the weak spot, potentially also the router/local network) is encrypted.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
July 25, 2014, 05:23:54 PM
im on a dorm at university with a lot of other bitcoiners, they do not allow VPN  Sad
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
July 25, 2014, 05:09:16 PM
No,i don't use VPNs.Why? Because i use TOR.  Cool
Activity: 213
Merit: 100
July 25, 2014, 09:19:16 AM
Hola plugin is free.
Activity: 378
July 25, 2014, 09:19:10 AM
Hi,

I only use a VPN to get around censorship etc and also for security. When you are on public Wifi networks all the unsecured data (HTTP) is visible to everyone on the network.
Activity: 378
Magic Staff
March 28, 2013, 06:58:45 AM
but I had really low bandwidth so it turned out that using latest torrent bundle is way safer and faster.
Torrent bundle, what is that? Don't you mean Tor Browser Bundle?(TBB)

Even if you travel there, but for *real anonymity* you're between i2p and (way better imho) TOR.
Tor is only 'better' in the sense that it has a huge .exit node network while i2p focuses mostly on the darknet(.exit nodes in i2p are called outproxies). One use I find in i2p is the internal torrent network which is not too small these days I can recommend the TPB AFK movie legal to download Cheesy, though I use Tor when I want to get out to regular websites on the internet that are not themselves part of an onion network.
Activity: 18
March 12, 2013, 07:17:00 PM
Hi!

As I have understood, VPNs (Virtual Private Networks, used to hide online identity) are popular among many BTC users. Do you use a VPN and if so why/why not?

Regards,
Sword Smith

Greetings to you,

The low level of understanding how the "internets" work among BTC "afficionados" is incredible, don't you think?

Anyway, I use OpenVPN at home (without static IP, oh me, I'm a magician!) with DynDNS and everything works like a charm. I have an embedded low consumption fan-less server which runs FreeBSD.

As for the anonymity I use TOR bundle these days. I used to run a TOR node and connect through VPN -> FreeBSD/TOR node (10.8.0.1:9051) but I had really low bandwidth so it turned out that using latest torrent bundle is way safer and faster.

That said, paid VPN's are a fine thing in some ways but mostly protects from some sort of DNS-hijacking that could occur in private WiFi networks easily (metasploit has some fine examples, like redirect from facebook.com to login.facebook.at) where the page asks for confirmation etc. Most avg users will give you the user/pass for fb, twitter and so on. Another way that doesn't work these days is sniffing non-https connections, but almost every website have an https.

Again: VPN protects you from third parties (if you route all your connections from the VPN). Especially in countries like UAE, Iran, Iraq, etc. It's a *must have*. Even if you travel there, but for *real anonymity* you're between i2p and (way better imho) TOR.

Regards bro :-)
Activity: 406
Merit: 286
Neptune, Scalable Privacy
March 12, 2013, 07:01:34 PM

TorrentFreak just updated their (highly recommended) post on exactly that, here:

http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/

Check it out.

Toni
Finally a reasonable answer containing some usefull information. Thank you!
Pages:
Jump to: