Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 31864. (Read 26393546 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
But then, having knowledge of the size of deposits as they are made, they could have done much better than that with a little front running.

But Gox would not do that, it would be unethical.

and it would be insider trading, but of course we are in an nearly unregulated market, SEC cannot investigate in that case because Mt.Gox is in Japan. Or can they ?

here's my advice on the matter...

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
If you are fine to withdraw via other measures (SEPA, JPY domestic, BTC), MtGox should be alright given you don't mind the premium. Only risk I would see is whether or not they are even liquid in light of the 10 million USD lacking.

Completely separate from customer funds, if Gox collected .5% in BTC fees and .5% in USD fees, and held them as such they would have

257143 BTC and $7,627,194

The question of the actual balances is how much trading they have done, and when?

What would we find in Schrödinger's Gox?

If Gox sold just 20% of their coin from fees as it came in then those balances look more like:

205,714 BTC and $9,152,626

If it was 50% then...

128,571 BTC and $11,440,775

80%...

51429 BTC and $13,728,924

I'll be that guy and say it:

That's still surprisingly little money.

If seen in context, I mean. So they earned something north of 10M, and we know about a 10M gap. Doesn't mean there aren't other debts ramped up (lawyers for the coinlab lawsuit, for example).
Activity: 159
Merit: 100
But then, having knowledge of the size of deposits as they are made, they could have done much better than that with a little front running.

But Gox would not do that, it would be unethical.

and it would be insider trading, but of course we are in an nearly unregulated market, SEC cannot investigate in that case because Mt.Gox is in Japan. Or can they ?
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003
VIS ET LIBERTAS
so who thinks we are heading for a correction or another bear trap now?
... just a tiny bear trap  Cool
Activity: 516
Merit: 283

A dead cat that was not there

...then how do you know it was dead?!
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
If you are fine to withdraw via other measures (SEPA, JPY domestic, BTC), MtGox should be alright given you don't mind the premium. Only risk I would see is whether or not they are even liquid in light of the 10 million USD lacking.

Completely separate from customer funds, if Gox collected .5% in BTC fees and .5% in USD fees, and held them as such they would have

257143 BTC and $7,627,194

The question of the actual balances is how much trading they have done, and when?

A dead cat that was not there
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
1. whale sales, then
2. nothing happen, then
3. whale sales, then
4. OMG we goin down, then
5. SELL SELL SELL, then
6. whale buys, then
7. exit mtgox, then
8. sell on bitstamp, then
9. SELL SELL SELL

or just we going straight into single digits
legendary
Activity: 1372
I think chodpaba is manipulating the market to fit his analysis  Roll Eyes

So lets go with bear trap for now.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Gain more btc! https://satoshicircle.com/?aid=1718
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

There are still reports of 3+ week delay times for SEPA transfers initiated in late august, so that's a risky game to play.
legendary
he who has the gold makes the rules
I must be the only person on earth right now who contemplates beginning to trade on/sending fiat to mtgox
Why'd you do that? The only reason I see is if you need to have instant liquidity for a couple k minimum in order to minimize slippage. Another perhaps if you trust MtGox more and want to store the funds for a longer time there. With up to 10% higher prices on MtGox, I'd have a hard time justifying it as a new market entrant.

MtGox certainly deserves to starve right now given their laughable transparency.

Unfortunately, the amount of gravity a body has need not have any relation to how brightly it shines.

I see what you did there.

as the old saying goes...

feed the eagle, starve the turkey
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
legendary
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
I must be the only person on earth right now who contemplates beginning to trade on/sending fiat to mtgox
Why'd you do that? The only reason I see is if you need to have instant liquidity for a couple k minimum in order to minimize slippage. Another perhaps if you trust MtGox more and want to store the funds for a longer time there. With up to 10% higher prices on MtGox, I'd have a hard time justifying it as a new market entrant.

MtGox certainly deserves to starve right now given their laughable transparency.

Unfortunately, the amount of gravity a body has need not have any relation to how brightly it shines.

I see what you did there.
legendary
Activity: 1168

That's beautiful...
legendary

I'm not looking to long-term hold, so the premium isn't really an issue. It's the godawful slippage on bitstamp for anything bigger than tiny amounts.

The only thing that prevents me from signing up is, well, that it'd be idiotic to do so, I guess.
N12
donator

legendary
Activity: 1168
I suspect we'll not pass $150, pending very big news, until Mt Gox resolves withdrawals or they fall.  Too much anxiety in the market.
legendary
N12
donator
You're right, there is definitely a slow shift going on away from MtGox. Dwindling volume and therefore income is the only language they will ever understand. However, I've seen MtGox die countless deaths before since June 2011. I remember Tradehill being hailed as the MtGox killer. My guess is they will either die or they will come out as #1 again.

The tell will actually be depth. As long as there is plenty of dry powder on Gox it can move the market.
Indeed, much of the Bitcoiners' capital is simply trapped on this platform and moving it from it is extremely slow. Shifting this capital from one account to another by buying Bitcoins and withdrawing them doesn't alleviate it.
legendary
Activity: 2100
probably this thread could merge into an overall orderbook and wall tracker

bitstamp has more volume now and there is one 3000 btc bid wall left. if this falls.. good night bitcoin for a deeper fall

looks more like 2000 to me.

Good night, Bitcoin.

Good morning, Blightcoin. Cheesy

1000 btc was probably already whale food (plankton) .. eaten away...
Jump to: