Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33101. (Read 26465922 times)

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
About Bitcoin's value: If somebody shows you a gold/silver/bit coin or a $100 bill and offers you to buy it for half its value, would you buy it?
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
But I still think Bitcoin is currently overvalued.  Wink

The truth is, outside speculation, bitcoin is only supported by silkroad. Imagine speculators leaving, and silkroad shutting down.
Activity: 434
But I still think Bitcoin is currently overvalued.  Wink
Frozenlock just gave the answer that ends this discussion. The blockchain has the potential to become so much more than a ledger that stores bitcoin transactions. Bitcoins however are what gives you access to it. Intrinsic value, right there.

Could you give some examples?

I think nerds like to, well, nerd out about the potential of the block chain because it takes a while before you can even wrap your head around what it actually is: a distributed, tamper & attack-proof, eternal, trust-free storage of information. (...)

Yup.

You could "relatively" easily bootstrap an entire financial sector (stocks, options, etc.) on top of bitcoin and be incredibly secure. All this without the need for massive investment, or even a powerful and corrupt-free judicial system.

The price to use this? Transaction fees, paid in bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
Frozenlock just gave the answer that ends this discussion. The blockchain has the potential to become so much more than a ledger that stores bitcoin transactions. Bitcoins however are what gives you access to it. Intrinsic value, right there.

I think nerds like to, well, nerd out about the potential of the block chain because it takes a while before you can even wrap your head around what it actually is: a distributed, tamper & attack-proof, eternal, trust-free storage of information.

One idea that I've heard was using the block chain as a way to publish information and at the same time being able to prove that you were the first one to do so. But in reality I think what gets the nerds excited is that we can't really see yet what it might be useful for, just that it feels like it very likely that in the future people will come up with a bunch of ideas we can't even dream of. A bit like how Vint Cerf probably didn't have a clue what the Internet one day would look like, but he seemed to realize the potential that it could become something big one day.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0

No, we're not seeing "essentially faith" with bitcoin. It's more. I have to agree finally with Max Keiser: bitcoin does have intrinsic value (I used to argue it was all pure faith). The intrinsic value of bitcoin is it's scarcity combined with the fact that you can send it through the internet anonymously. That's intrinsic value right there.

Unless you somehow enjoy sending coins back & forth, and don't care if they buy you any goodies, i think we're talking "instrumental value."

I'm still not sure what you mean, maybe my interpretation of intrinsic value is too literal?  The blockchain won't start making cheese or building cars, will it?
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile

I wonder if he is talking about other uses for a new blockchain or the existing blockchain. If it is a new blockchain, then we are talking about things like namecoin (decentralized dns), decentralized voting, online ownership ledger, etc. If he is talking about the bitcoin blockchain, then that is interesting as it starts to build upon bitcoins blockchain with other services. I'd love to hear more about that. And don't get me wrong,
either of the preceding are transcending technologically. We are at a special place guys in our history. I only wish more could see it.

Behold the anti-fragile black swan (see my sig)...

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 826
Merit: 508

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

No, we're not seeing "essentially faith" with bitcoin. It's more. I have to agree finally with Max Keiser: bitcoin does have intrinsic value (I used to argue it was all pure faith). The intrinsic value of bitcoin is it's scarcity combined with the fact that you can send it through the internet anonymously. That's intrinsic value right there.

Unless you somehow enjoy sending coins back & forth, and don't care if they buy you any goodies, i think we're talking "instrumental value."

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

I can do this with a slew of scammy altcoins. "Onecoin" is a much more scarce crypto-currency than bitcoin. So much for intrinsic value.

The scarcity point is completely irrelevant right now -- the only way to know that future demand will be sufficient is to crystal ball that shit.

This is indeed "essentially faith". But, I think, that is the way of most burgeoning ideas -- early adopters need to have faith. Rome doesn't get built in a day.
legendary
Antifragile
In other news, markets are down.

http://finance.yahoo.com/

Nikkei down 4%. Man, is that like down over 20% or so in two weeks?

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/stocks/world-indexes/

Yup. Europeans market have been in the red for quite a few days also... and now the Americans (as in the true definition of the word).

Fun times.

Thanks, I didn't know about the European info (odd considering I'm in Germany).
I have heard from a few different sources (reliable with other stock market top calls) that the DOW will hit 16000 or so max and then POP goes the weasel. That will also coincide with a fall of the dollar.
Not saying I believe that, but I am watching for that...

Devaluation of the Dollar is actually what drives the market up Smiley

I understand that quite well. I prefer to just call it inflation, soon to be hyperinflation if they keep doing what they are doing. They are printing 85 billion new dollars every month. The banks that receive this are investing some of those $$$ in the stock market. The Fed I believe has as much as said that they are involved in asset (stock market) allocation. People who have money in the bank, hurt by artificially low interest rates are also putting money in the stock market. So, we have a sideways to falling economy, decreasing productivity, very high unemployment rates, people working 2 or more jobs and often being completely overqualified for what they are doing = A rising stock market. I guess most folks believe CNN, FOX, etc.

Anyway, the thing that is keeping things going is that people believe in the money. Money is essentially faith, we are seeing that with BTC. Intriniscally it has value for a few reasons, most notably its cryptographic security imo. Once people stop believing in the dollar, once they can't keep printing dollars to make the stock market go up (e.g. - worsening economy, rates that need to rise) = POP goes the weasel.

My point with the 16,000 level in the DOW was that, that is around when their game ends, regardless of printing more money or not.

I did say it has value intrinsically and I did say for a few reasons (and I am VERY familiar with Keisser and like the guy). I am saying, you still need faith for a money to work. Whether or not you see it as primary or secondary is just semantics.
If BTC was scarce but not secure (cryptographically), it wouldn't matter much, now would it? Bitcoin isn't anonymous. I would say it is pseudoanonymous (experts seem to agree here). You really have to know what you are doing to make it anonymous. I can imagine that if BTC follows money regulations, they will probably go after those trying to be completely anonymous. Not saying I like that, but can't imagine them not at least trying, just like they have been with torrent for years (and failing of course).

And by faith, that is not a bad thing. That is the center of money, that is what keeps it going. We all know BTC is valuable intrinsically, but the number of people I have to explain to what money is (that have lots of it, use it, etc.) just shows you people have faith in it. They don't understand it. They really have no idea on basic things like fractional reserve banking and such.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
legendary
Antifragile
Actually you're explaining why the markets go up on speculation. I was talking intrinsically. Owning a business is owning income generation which is automatically hedged for inflation as the prices of produce increase with inflation.

I'm not sure about what you say on two levels:

1 - IF stocks go up intrinsically, why don't we see the same level of inflation with goods and services in general?
2 - And what is speculative about the Fed buying stocks with printed money? (I can see people buying stocks as being speculative but when their bank deposit interest rate is 1%, they are just moving money but yes that is speculation). What the Fed is doing seems to be funneling the "inflation".
The intrinsic value of bitcoin is it's scarcity combined with the fact that you can send it through the internet anonymously. That's intrinsic value right there.

How about: bitcoins give you the ability to use the blockchain.
(Because fees are paid in bitcoins)
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
In other news, markets are down.

http://finance.yahoo.com/

Nikkei down 4%. Man, is that like down over 20% or so in two weeks?

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/stocks/world-indexes/

Yup. Europeans market have been in the red for quite a few days also... and now the Americans (as in the true definition of the word).

Fun times.

Thanks, I didn't know about the European info (odd considering I'm in Germany).
I have heard from a few different sources (reliable with other stock market top calls) that the DOW will hit 16000 or so max and then POP goes the weasel. That will also coincide with a fall of the dollar.
Not saying I believe that, but I am watching for that...

Devaluation of the Dollar is actually what drives the market up Smiley

I understand that quite well. I prefer to just call it inflation, soon to be hyperinflation if they keep doing what they are doing. They are printing 85 billion new dollars every month. The banks that receive this are investing some of those $$$ in the stock market. The Fed I believe has as much as said that they are involved in asset (stock market) allocation. People who have money in the bank, hurt by artificially low interest rates are also putting money in the stock market. So, we have a sideways to falling economy, decreasing productivity, very high unemployment rates, people working 2 or more jobs and often being completely overqualified for what they are doing = A rising stock market. I guess most folks believe CNN, FOX, etc.

Anyway, the thing that is keeping things going is that people believe in the money. Money is essentially faith, we are seeing that with BTC. Intriniscally it has value for a few reasons, most notably its cryptographic security imo. Once people stop believing in the dollar, once they can't keep printing dollars to make the stock market go up (e.g. - worsening economy, rates that need to rise) = POP goes the weasel.

My point with the 16,000 level in the DOW was that, that is around when their game ends, regardless of printing more money or not.

Activity: 798
Buy all the Bitcoins

You drunk again Adam ?  Shocked

BTW  I love that Argentina Bitcoin movie theme you posted ... soooo chill

For those that missed it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-OHvyMYX5o
Activity: 350
This account was recently hacked

If you owned all of them they probably wouldn't be worth anything
legendary