Pages:
Author

Topic: Wallet Hack on 4/25 - page 2. (Read 11212 times)

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
April 29, 2013, 02:11:08 AM
Keyfiles stored on your computer would have to be uploaded to their servers for hashing, OR your client side browser will have to perform the hashing offline, and submit your result online.

In either case, MITM or eavesdroppers can intercept the keyfiles. There would have to be some sort of public key or SSL encryption going on for this to work, so no one else can grab your keyfile or the hash of that keyfile.

If your computer is compromised, they can get your keyfile.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
April 28, 2013, 10:13:58 PM
Here is an example of my logins for banks and Mt. Gox:

Username: kl2uggsyf3yue9g4e2
Password: t#nocq2*l4c*b1yibxf%tazzh0^$)^ft0

Both are limited by what the system will accept. Some of my bank usernames only accept letters and numbers (alphanumeric). Some corporate bank accounts also include a bank generated company code (which I don't have control of).

The above is not an actual account, it is just an example.

For forums, like this one, I use a simple username, like, Dabs. The password is just as long and complicated.

Where my username is not likely to ever be seen by anyone else, I pick a long random username. Banks and bitcoin exchanges and bitcoin wallets are examples.

I would like to see sites use KEY files like true crypt does (but check client side never upload)....a JPG as a KEY file is basically unhackable, even keyloggers would be hard as they would have to record where you pointed your mouse
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
April 28, 2013, 10:09:19 PM
Here is an example of my logins for banks and Mt. Gox:

Username: kl2uggsyf3yue9g4e2
Password: t#nocq2*l4c*b1yibxf%tazzh0^$)^ft0

Both are limited by what the system will accept. Some of my bank usernames only accept letters and numbers (alphanumeric). Some corporate bank accounts also include a bank generated company code (which I don't have control of).

The above is not an actual account, it is just an example.

For forums, like this one, I use a simple username, like, Dabs. The password is just as long and complicated.

Where my username is not likely to ever be seen by anyone else, I pick a long random username. Banks and bitcoin exchanges and bitcoin wallets are examples.
donator
Activity: 668
Merit: 500
April 28, 2013, 10:00:04 PM
Also I have setup several wallets with deliberately weak passwords that are unemptied.
Do any of those wallets have easily guessable aliases?  I imagine if they had, they would be empty now.  Of course, now you're forcing email confirmation for aliases (sometimes, always?) so it wouldn't work so easily.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
April 28, 2013, 09:30:01 PM
Update - after speaking some more with my affected customer I am no longer convinced his password was indeed strong enough.

Maybe passwords were brute-forced after all? silvereagle - just how strong was your password?

Will be happy to hear about any progress in figuring this out.

Alias was very short so may have been hackable.  Password was 15 characters long but made up of multiple words that may have been found in dictionary.  Possible but permutations to put that many words together would still be extremely high.
legendary
April 28, 2013, 08:16:22 PM
Guess there are a lot of GPU clusters coming available now that are basically set up for brute forcing passwords .... "strong" password does not mean what it used to?

thats why you need 20 plus long password
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
April 28, 2013, 06:52:31 PM
Guess there are a lot of GPU clusters coming available now that are basically set up for brute forcing passwords .... "strong" password does not mean what it used to?
donator
Activity: 668
April 28, 2013, 05:53:46 PM
I now believe I know how they got my friend's coins.

She'd given her account a short, 4-letter alias.  Her 10-letter password began with that alias, in a way that a human might be able to guess the first 8 letters(the final two were numbers).  Doh.

I believe that several attack vectors are being used, and that one is someone is cycling through short aliases, perhaps regardless of spelling, and longer aliases that are dictionary words. Knowing the alias used to be enough, without 2 factor, for blockchain.info to give up your encrypted wallet. They are then brute forcing passwords, trying both common passwords, dictionary words, and others beginning or ending with the alias.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054
April 28, 2013, 09:51:17 AM
Update - after speaking some more with my affected customer I am no longer convinced his password was indeed strong enough.

Maybe passwords were brute-forced after all? silvereagle - just how strong was your password?

Will be happy to hear about any progress in figuring this out.
legendary
April 27, 2013, 07:31:40 PM

so you seem to think they are getting passwords and usernames and alot of people use the same on diff sites...!

that wouldn't be the case with me though Jubalix - I used a unique alias and unique password on blockchain.info - couldn't have pulled it from anywhere else.

okay....then the injected javascript or sever-side client re direct hack
April 27, 2013, 07:23:58 PM

so you seem to think they are getting passwords and usernames and alot of people use the same on diff sites...!

that wouldn't be the case with me though Jubalix - I used a unique alias and unique password on blockchain.info - couldn't have pulled it from anywhere else.
Activity: 53
April 27, 2013, 05:10:28 PM
I too have received 5 "login requests" in the past few days 1 from sweden and 4 from the USA. Too bad someone already hacked into my wallet and took my .5 btc on 4-21. They can have the .00000004 for all I care.

.5 hacked and sent to 1DvySR2sgb1iZHBePQ9H3Vv1PoVYrDsF5A

login requests from USA IP
USA Time: 2013-04-27 20:56:57
IP Address: 69.40.145.118

login request from Sweden on the  26th
Time: 2013-04-26 20:48:33
IP Address: 194.132.32.42 (Sweden)
Activity: 26
April 27, 2013, 04:11:43 PM
I got this email too:

----
Authorize log-in attempt

An attempt to login to your blockchain.info wallet was made from an unknown browser. Please confirm the following details are correct:

Time: 2013-04-26 22:03:19
IP Address: 46.167.245.50 (Czech Republic)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5

If the above details are correct please use the following login link:

https://blockchain.info/wallet/

If this login attempt was made by you this email can be safely ignored however you may wish to change your wallet alias.
----

I don't have any coins there, so good luck with that. However, I used a common word as the wallet identifier, as some other people here apparently did. I am guessing someone is blindly trying weak identifier/password combinations.
legendary
April 27, 2013, 01:53:41 PM
there's going to be some unhappy people in the next 48 hrs.

I note with the email I received, it checked out as me at my computer from my IP....Huh??

maybe my computer is infected?Huh

the times appeared to be consistent with my own login...not malware...

but I do not run java
legendary
April 27, 2013, 01:35:49 PM
Unfortunately I think more users are likely to be affected by this transaction.

Any users who own an address used in the above transaction (https://blockchain.info/tx/89f8223bc1d9140889496dea843df1854f17aee35b8ac5006ec1efee2ba5bd80) please could you answer the following questions:

• Do you have a bitcoin app on your android phone?
  • Do you have a blockchain.info wallet holding the address in question?
  • If you have a blockchain wallet do you use a public alias the same as your bitcointalk, bitcoin-otc or irc username?
  • Do you have accounts on one of the following sites: BTC-e, bitcoin-central or mining.bitcoin.cz?
  • Do you reuse the same wallet password on different websites (specifically the above sites)?
  • Do you read the BTC-e chat box?
  • Does your browser have Java enabled? http://isjavaenabled.com

Activity: 657
Merit: 250
April 27, 2013, 12:20:08 PM
Someone tried to login to my blockchain.info wallet, too. I don't have any coins there and can't even access it myself (lost the password), but the timing is curious.

Code:
Authorize log-in attempt

An attempt to login to your blockchain.info wallet was made from an unknown browser. Please confirm the following details are correct:

Time: 2013-04-27 10:35:24
IP Address: 91.37.37.166 (Germany)
User Agent: Apache-HttpClient/4.2.3 (java 1.5)

https://blockchain.info/wallet/1496c01a-95a3-78e7-9b31-eadfab3eb580

If this login attempt was made by you this email can be safely ignored however you may wish to change your wallet alias.

The alias for that identifier is my username here, so it might be a coincidence. Just thought I'd let you know, in the off chance that this is related and might help. This is the first time I received such an email, even though I made that wallet last year IIRC.
Activity: 763
April 27, 2013, 11:18:52 AM
Admittedly, my alias is a plain word so possible they could've just tried brute force finding an alias …
that could be quite true. blockchain.info should monitor access/ip patterns to spot such attempts.

more importantly, i stronly suggest to enable two factor authentication. (and if you use email, think about the email security … gmail has 2FA too)
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
April 27, 2013, 10:32:07 AM
I probably missed it, but had any of the involved accounts 2FA enabled?
April 27, 2013, 10:27:44 AM
So, interesting development this morning.  I shut down the wallet I had with blockchain.info yesterday after it was potentially compromised and decided to just start with a fresh new wallet hosted there.  Very strong password, different identifier.  Java not installed on my machine and scanned for malware.

Received this this morning -- from blockchain.info notification:

Authorize log-in attempt
Time: 2013-04-27 07:17:42
IP Address: 77.109.138.42 (Switzerland)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.Cool Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
https://blockchain.info/wallet/[blocked out for obvious reasons]

and this...

Time: 2013-04-27 08:38:09
IP Address: 5.9.121.38 (Germany)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.Cool Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
https://blockchain.info/wallet/[blocked out for obvious reasons]

Apparently there is still some sort of malware out there attempting to hack the blockchain.info service.  Machine was clean when I set this new wallet up, only way I think they could've possibly found the address is through scanning potential aliases.  Admittedly, my alias is a plain word so possible they could've just tried brute force finding an alias that would lead them to identifier and tried to log in from there.  Otherwise, can't imagine how they would've gotten it.  Just a lead for PIUK to follow if he's interested in trying to button up security on the site.

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
April 27, 2013, 01:43:10 AM
Yes, this is an area need improvement, currently the usage of the wallet is still too complex and dangerous. Maybe bitcoin will never be used by the majority, it seems many people really cannot/don't have time to take care the security of their own money, they have to rely on some secure money storage service like a bank

I think that the problem is not so much ignorance as it is that computers (including various devices) and networks are not designed for keeping information private.  Indeed, the trend is strongly in exactly the opposite direction (think Carrier IQ.)

If a person's pics from the wedding they attended the weekend before were as valuable as BTC there would be few which remain private for very long.  It is unlikely that things are going to turn around simply because it is needed to make Bitcoin safe for users.  Probably just the opposite in fact.  OTOH, I do expect that if Bitcoin is not quashed in it's early phases, there will be large and competent service providers who will kindly take care of user's BTC for them, and will likely do it...um..."for free" as is the case with e-mail, social media, etc, etc.  Problem solved.

Pages:
Jump to: