Pages:
Author

Topic: Wanna help with Bitcoin in Africa? - page 5. (Read 9047 times)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0
April 18, 2013, 07:53:27 AM
might work well  Smiley
Activity: 14
April 07, 2013, 09:30:07 PM
good luck !
Activity: 28
April 07, 2013, 02:53:49 PM
unfortunately that is the way it is. Maybe some folks in Zimbabwe wisened up by now?  Wink
Activity: 47
April 07, 2013, 02:33:00 PM
It's like trying to convert Tim Geithner. He's doing quite well in the paper fiat money world, thank you very much.
And so are various African governments.

If you want to succeed you need to get people to start using it.
Right now the unstable price is a bit of a problem because it makes it hard to quote prices in BTC (not everyone has digital displays over there).
April 07, 2013, 02:24:53 PM
how about The Gambia ?
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
April 07, 2013, 02:01:12 PM

what if some african state would introduce BTC as their national currency. that way it would be harder to ban elsewhere and a recourse to the United Nations would be possible.

Someone actually had talks in several African embassys. Some were not interested, and at least one found the idea interesting. Never heard of it again, though..
This could have been in 2011 maybe, so we are in a quite different position nowadays.
Why not? Go for it! Any volunteers? :-)

Ente
April 07, 2013, 11:24:29 AM

what if some african state would introduce BTC as their national currency. that way it would be harder to ban elsewhere and a recourse to the United Nations would be possible.
legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
February 28, 2013, 02:04:23 AM
What would be required for a manager?
I.e. language-wise, living somewhere around and stuff?

Good luck, this project deserves all success!

Ente

Knowing a local language would be a plus and having at least 4 hours a week to devote to the project. Just sent you a PM to discuss details.
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
February 27, 2013, 05:51:05 AM
What would be required for a manager?
I.e. language-wise, living somewhere around and stuff?

Good luck, this project deserves all success!

Ente
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
You are a geek if you are too early to the party!
February 24, 2013, 07:20:18 PM

Love this idea.

It will be very interesting to see the different world viewpoints on bitcoin in one place.
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
Bitcoin Venezuela
February 19, 2013, 08:23:32 PM
Cool, will add my section tomorrow.

BTW I think it is http://elbitcoin.org , but .com domain redirect to .org anyway.

Good luck!

EDIT: Also check the links in the download section, for example http://electrum.org/download.html is the actual link for Electrum and there is a /index.php/get-armory in the Armory link.

I'd offer myself to admin your website, but I don't know any language from Africa and not much about the continent.
legendary
February 19, 2013, 08:09:57 PM
That's a good idea. Added to the lower left.
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
Bitcoin Venezuela
February 19, 2013, 07:48:40 PM
Can I propose you a link sharing for located websites, I run http://bitcoinvenezuela.com from Spain for Venezuela and Argentina, http://elbitcoin.org Spain an Latin America in general... And so on

Something like: "Bitcoin around the world" I'd add this section for the link sharing
legendary
February 19, 2013, 04:18:54 AM
Bitcoins.co.ke is Bitcoin portal and community site for Nairobi, Kenya, and Africa that needs someone to help manage it. The website consists of:

* a front page that is translated into Swahili
* a list of the biggest Bitcoin news
* links to top mobile and desktop clients
* a new forum which will focus at the start on original blog posts by authors in Kenya.

So the main tasks are publicity, keeping the forum free of spam, and generally helping people in Africa learn about Bitcoin. If you have any ideas on what else to do for the cause, feel free to offer your ideas. As far as payment goes, I'm covering the hosting costs and will entertain low budget proposals.

This is a good opportunity for someone who wants to learn Bitcoin by helping it grow. PM me if you're interested and please include examples of other sites you run or help manage/moderate.

Besides the above, I ask that you email me on a weekly basis with progress on traffic and forum membership.
Pages:
Jump to: