Pages:
Author

Topic: Warren Buffet to buy Bitcoins? - page 2. (Read 6977 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250
ancap
November 16, 2013, 04:59:10 AM
Warren Buffet only buys on the lows... he will wait for the price to crash before buying it... if he ever does.
April 2013 was a mini-crash. And value investors like W. Buffet always seek this kind of opportunities. The problem is, these opportunities appear once or twice every decade or so. If Buffet not invested yet into BTC, probably he missed the train! In other words, it is too late to invest for him (as you indicated he only buys on the lows). My personal prediction is that Buffet and/or any other big guy already invested BTC secretly. And we'll hear that news once the four-five digits appear on BTC
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
November 16, 2013, 04:41:13 AM
All of these posts and no one calls out the OP on a misleading title?

OP - nice to want people to check out your thread but your title is totally misleading. Just ask the question and don't make the statement.

Regarding your intended point, Buffet and people like him are a part of the problem. He will buy BTC when he sees the wealth consiscation affecting him.

IAS
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Fourth richest fictional character
November 16, 2013, 04:23:04 AM
Warren Buffet only buys on the lows... he will wait for the price to crash before buying it... if he ever does.
Activity: 275
November 16, 2013, 04:02:17 AM
Warren Buffett doesn't invest in anything he doesn't understand. Warren is old, therefore doesn't understand bitcoin. QED. Thread closed  Grin

Other points brought up in this thread:
  • He doesn't invest in shit that ain't got dividends, yo
  • He doesn't invest in tech stocks (and I assume this extends to virtual currencies)
  • He's old (said that one already, but it's a big one)
The fund manager is buying them secretly without letting Warren Buffett know. Smiley
Activity: 433
November 16, 2013, 03:30:52 AM
didn't you guys learn anything from investing?

you buy on bad news and sell on good news.
buy low, sell high

if you were warren buffet, with a huge amount of cash, wouldn't you WANT to first scare the sheep by stating negative comments so other people will sell? then as the big bad wolf with the money, swoop in and make the buy while its cheap since everyone is scared. then announce later your in, and watch the sheep follow you as you make even more money.

i mean thats how i see it anyways, and these same ppl are so rich they got control over the news media so they can use that to scare sheep without using their words.
Activity: 714
Merit: 510
November 16, 2013, 02:16:55 AM
He said Bitcoin is rat poison.

Too old imo.

That was Charlie Munger. Warren Buffet said he was on the fence. Bill Gates said it was a cool technology.
Activity: 448
November 16, 2013, 02:14:56 AM
Warren Buffett doesn't invest in anything he doesn't understand. Warren is old, therefore doesn't understand bitcoin. QED. Thread closed  Grin

Other points brought up in this thread:
  • He doesn't invest in shit that ain't got dividends, yo
  • He doesn't invest in tech stocks (and I assume this extends to virtual currencies)
  • He's old (said that one already, but it's a big one)
legendary
Activity: 1414
HODL OR DIE
November 16, 2013, 01:03:58 AM
Warren is basically a Luddite. 
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
November 16, 2013, 12:20:09 AM
No chance

He doesn't get tech by his own admission....
Activity: 255
November 16, 2013, 12:05:21 AM
Warran Buffer is already buying Bitcoins secretly, he will announce once he have enough Bitcoins...
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
November 15, 2013, 11:42:07 PM
The Rat poison comment actually comes from Buffet's long term business partner in Berkshire Hathaway (who is like the Paul Allen to his Bill Gates).  Buffet seems to be more indifferent towards BTC then this partner person who seems actually hostile.

these guys have made billions exploiting the current money scheme, they love it!
Activity: 826
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
November 15, 2013, 11:25:44 PM
The Rat poison comment actually comes from Buffet's long term business partner in Berkshire Hathaway (who is like the Paul Allen to his Bill Gates).  Buffet seems to be more indifferent towards BTC then this partner person who seems actually hostile.
legendary
Activity: 1153
November 15, 2013, 10:45:44 PM
Buffet only invests in assets that produce something and yield dividends. He says if there is no dividend then it is not an investment but only a price speculation, or gambling. He needs to have two sources of gain: the price increase and the dividends, not just one - the price increase.  His main MO is buy and hold, never sell, and just collect dividends.
Yeah, this.

Buffet's verdict on Bitcoin may still be up in the air, but I guarantee that he'll never hold it as an investment, even if he decides that Gates was right and Munger was wrong. It suffers from the same problem that Buffet sees with "investing" in gold: gold doesn't do anything - at best, it's just an instrument - so the only way to profit on it is speculation. Real investment in Buffet's philosophy is buying something that is useful... for instance, a corporation, which consistently makes profit in a way the investor can understand and be confident in.

So really, the question is if/when Buffet would invest in Bitcoin-using businesses, and whether it'll happen because he added a Bitcoin-using business to his portfolio, or because one of the businesses in his portfolio started using Bitcoin on their own.

Yes, this is exactly why Buffet will not invest in Bitcoin, even if he one day looks seriously at the technology and gets it.

But what is interesting about Bitcoin is there are two aspects to investing:

1) Investing in BTC is similar to investing in Gold in that BTC is just money. It sits there and maintains value. This is the buffet limited view.

2) Investing in BTC during the startup phase is similar to investing in the Bitcoin ecosystem, and the ecosystem is very actively investing in itself and growing. This is the bitcoin believer view.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
November 15, 2013, 10:10:18 PM
Warren buffet doesn't touch tech investments at all and besides he could buy the entire network
legendary
Activity: 1168
November 15, 2013, 09:30:34 PM
Warren Buffett has said before that he doesn't invest in things (technology) he doesn't understand.  

I extremely doubt he understands Bitcoin, or even a computer.  Man is old school.
legendary
Activity: 960
Merit: 1028
Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.
November 15, 2013, 09:25:05 PM
I don't understand why someone in Buffet's position would outright never buy bitcoins. So what if it's risky? If you put 100.000 USD into it, and Bitcoin just collapses, so what? You probably have more money between your coach cussions. It's not like you'll be on the street, dancing for nickles. On the other hand, if Bitcoin goes mainstream big-time, the upside is astronomical. I don't understand this attitude.
The issue isn't that bitcoins are risky. The issue is that bitcoins are at best an instrument/currency/commodity/tool. Buffet invests in stocks because stocks are shares of companies, and companies do things - build things - constantly produce real value by plying a trade that he can model in his head and see why it constitutes economic over-unity. Whereas, you buy a million BTC and put it in an address, and the value might go up but those bitcoins aren't doing anything. They're just sitting there like a big fried egg.

But he could invest indirectly in bitcoin them by buying up bitcoin companies... Hopefully gox!
That'd certainly be something to see. I'd be surprised if it was Gox, though, given how much hot water they've hopped into lately (losing their ability to send wires, trade engine malfunctions...)
legendary
Activity: 1400
November 15, 2013, 06:26:21 PM
OMgWB
legendary
Activity: 1400
November 15, 2013, 06:23:18 PM
I don't understand why someone in Buffet's position would outright never buy bitcoins. So what if it's risky? If you put 100.000 USD into it, and Bitcoin just collapses, so what? You probably have more money between your coach cussions. It's not like you'll be on the street, dancing for nickles. On the other hand, if Bitcoin goes mainstream big-time, the upside is astronomical. I don't understand this attitude.

Buffet is traditional.  He invests based on economic value of an on-going concern.  He is not a speculator the way bitcoiners are...

No, he is MOTHER TERESA ... he takes from richest and gives to poor
Activity: 97
Merit: 10
One American Sumbitch Which Love 8
November 15, 2013, 04:22:23 PM
"yes, bitcoin is rat pison - the banks are the rats!"

saw someone post this before on this forum and I love this quote... Cheesy

After Fannie and Freddy... it's not just a quote.

Yay, verily!
It's pretty much policy now.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
November 15, 2013, 04:18:33 PM

Buffet is traditional.  He invests based on economic value of an on-going concern.  He is not a speculator the way bitcoiners are...

This, and he is one of the few big investors that knows when "enough is enough".  He still lives in the same home he bought for under $40k.

This frugality is to admire. It's clear he enjoyes doing business and money are a side-effect of winning. But he could surely invest some more into tech, his offices are full of CRT monitors. Use LCD goddamit, they're more power efficient. And he could also change his old car.
Pages:
Jump to: