Pages:
Author

Topic: Wasabi wallet data privacy questions - page 3. (Read 587 times)

Activity: 854
Merit: 772
Watch Bitcoin Documentary - https://t.ly/v0Nim
July 14, 2023, 05:56:13 PM
We’ve read Wasabi wallet shouldn't be used because they're using blockchain analysis companies https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--5286821. I don't know everything about their relationship so I'm asking questions about info they're storing or sharing.

Wasabi does not store or share any data with blockchain analysis companies. Your client never shares your xpub address with any third parties, including the coordinator, since it uses BIP158 compact block filters.  Your client never shares your IP address with any third parties, including the coordinator, since it uses Tor.
Hmm, this is a very interesting quote of o_e_l_e_o which I remembered, what about this?
Here's some fun code from Wasabi (https://github.com/zkSNACKs/WalletWasabi/blob/795496595fae2f52730e1556bb6cafd2c649bb97/WalletWasabi.Tests/UnitTests/WabiSabi/Backend/CoinVerifierTests.cs#L133-L142):
Code:
ScheduleVerifications(coinVerifier, generatedCoins);
foreach (var item in await coinVerifier.VerifyCoinsAsync(generatedCoins, CancellationToken.None))
{
if (item.ShouldBan)
{
naughtyCoins.Add(item.Coin);
}
}

Assert.Empty(naughtyCoins); // Empty, so we won't kick out anyone from the CJ round.

Are your coins "naughty"? Once Wasabi have spied on them and made that decision, then you will be banned from coinjoining them with Wasabi. Roll Eyes Add in the fact that they suffer from endemic address reuse (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61220171, https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--5286821), and I would steer well clear of ever using Wasabi.

None, zkSNACKs purchases info from blockchain companies, zkSNACKs cannot sell any info to them because Wasabi is purposely designed not to reveal any data about its users.
Hmm, sounds interesting Smiley
Activity: 378
Merit: 93
Enable v2transport=1 and mempoolfullrbf=1
July 14, 2023, 04:34:43 PM
We’ve read Wasabi wallet shouldn't be used because they're using blockchain analysis companies https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--5286821. I don't know everything about their relationship so I'm asking questions about info they're storing or sharing.

Wasabi does not store or share any data with blockchain analysis companies. Your client never shares your xpub address with any third parties, including the coordinator, since it uses BIP158 compact block filters.  Your client never shares your IP address with any third parties, including the coordinator, since it uses Tor.

Which data gets transmitted to zkSNACKs when Wasabi wallet opens in Win 11?

When you open the wallet, you begin downloading block filters from the coordinator over Tor.  No identifiable data is transmitted since your IP address is protected.

If wallet1 has 10 transactions, wallet2 has 10 transactions, wallet3 has 2 transactions are they linked to the same user by zkSNACKs or it's 22 anonymous transactions which zkSNACKs can't link to the same user?

That would appear to zkSNACKs as 22 anonymous transactions that can't be linked to any user.

Do zkSNACKs store any data to link users from received<>sent addresses after mixing?

No, the Wasabi client prevents data from being leaked to the coordinator.  Users never link their addresses together because every input and output in the coinjoin is registered with a single use Tor identity.

Which info does zkSNACKs share with blockchain companies is it limited to scanning incoming mixes for analysis?

None, zkSNACKs purchases info from blockchain companies, zkSNACKs cannot sell any info to them because Wasabi is purposely designed not to reveal any data about its users.

Nobody knows this information, because Wasabi won't tell.

The blockchain analysis company they are funding was even kept a secret, before they were exposed that it was Coinfirm, and yet Wasabi still claims to be the ultimate privacy solution, when they are clearly working with a pro-censorship service to spy on people's UTXO.

Even if Wasabi and zkSNACKs publish the criteria for blacklisting certain UTXO, it will not change the fact that they can blacklist any UTXO for any reason they decide at all, and surely they are storing and sharing data with a blockchain analysis firm, if not how then will they spy on their customers.

This is completely wrong, everyone can verify for themselves that Wasabi does not leak any of their data because all of the code is open source, just like Bitcoin itself: https://github.com/zkSnacks/WalletWasabi

And as reminder, Windows OS have poor privacy.

You can use Wasabi with Linux or Mac if you would like - https://github.com/zkSNACKs/WalletWasabi/blob/master/WalletWasabi.Documentation/WasabiCompatibility.md

If it is from Wasabi wallet aka zkSNACKs, according to the some open data, they can know all the addresses associated with the CoinJoin process, down to your IP addresses, and all the details of your addresses or addresses that you may generate in the future.
But with this data they cannot identify you as you can enhance your privacy by running a full node using TOR and using an additional mixing layers.

This sort of data collection happens by default in wallets like Samourai which expose your IP address and xpub address, but Wasabi is specifically designed so zkSNACKs (or any coordinator you choose) never learns your wallet addresses or IP address since Tor is on by default and your addresses are never linked even when you don't run a node thanks to BIP158 compact block filters - https://bips.xyz/158

Do zkSNACKs store any data to link users from received<>sent addresses after mixing?
We don't know and they won't tell us.

Which info does zkSNACKs share with blockchain companies is it limited to scanning incoming mixes for analysis?

You do know, the answer is "none" because Wasabi does not reveal any data to them.  zkSNACKs is very proud of their zero data collection policy and talks about it all the time, how could you miss it?

https://twitter.com/wasabiwallet/status/1678694963712802816
https://blog.wasabiwallet.io/zksnacks-means-zero-knowledge/
Activity: 714
Merit: 160
I'm a web developer. Hire me for your work.
July 14, 2023, 03:36:02 PM
The blockchain analysis company they are funding was even kept a secret, before they were exposed that it was Coinfirm, and yet Wasabi still claims to be the ultimate privacy solution, when they are clearly working with a pro-censorship service to spy on people's UTXO.
They should've been honest from the beginning. They've lost the trust of their users who didn't know about blockchain analysis companies being hired.

At very least, we know chosen UTXO for CoinJoin process will be sent to blockchain analysis company. But besides that and their legal document[1], we don't know. And as reminder, Windows OS have poor privacy.
UTXOs being sent to blockchain analysis company has caused reputational problems for Wasabi wallet. It won't sustain a healthy market share of mixers if it can't be trusted.

I don't like what I've seen about zkSNACKs but they're saying they don't collect data which is used to identify you. I know it's about not trusting them but we don't know how much.

If wallet1 has 10 transactions, wallet2 has 10 transactions, wallet3 has 2 transactions are they linked to the same user by zkSNACKs or it's 22 anonymous transactions which zkSNACKs can't link to the same user?
Technically, they shouldn't be. Wasabi uses block filters, and they say that each relevant block is downloaded over Tor from a different node, preventing any one node from learning about which addresses are being queried by the same user. You can of course improve on this by linking Wasabi to your own node. Whether or not Wasabi are gathering data elsewhere I can't comment as I'm not going to read every line of code for a product I'm never going to use, but I wouldn't trust their word on literally anything.
Does zkSNACKs have access to wallet names you've created on Win11?

If they aren't disclosing it they can't be trusted. I'll ask in the WasabiWallet.io thread where Kruw is active. Their dev shouldn't hesitate answering.

If you want, you can open up Wireshark and see what network packets are being transmitted from the Wasabi application. Oven that it's open-source, it shouldn't be too hard to see what kind of data is being phoned home, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly UTXOs, addresses, and raw coinjoin transactions.
Thanks. It wouldn't be surprising if you've guessed right but I don't want to make a transaction on Wasabi wallet to get the info.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
July 14, 2023, 12:43:43 PM

If you want, you can open up Wireshark and see what network packets are being transmitted from the Wasabi application. Oven that it's open-source, it shouldn't be too hard to see what kind of data is being phoned home, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly UTXOs, addresses, and raw coinjoin transactions.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
July 14, 2023, 09:41:57 AM
Technically, they shouldn't be. Wasabi uses block filters, and they say that each relevant block is downloaded over Tor from a different node, preventing any one node from learning about which addresses are being queried by the same user. You can of course improve on this by linking Wasabi to your own node. Whether or not Wasabi are gathering data elsewhere I can't comment as I'm not going to read every line of code for a product I'm never going to use, but I wouldn't trust their word on literally anything.

Activity: 406
Merit: 443
July 14, 2023, 09:24:23 AM
It doesn't matter how much data Wasabi wallet knows but from who are you trying to hide your data?

If it is from Wasabi wallet aka zkSNACKs, according to the some open data, they can know all the addresses associated with the CoinJoin process, down to your IP addresses, and all the details of your addresses or addresses that you may generate in the future.
But with this data they cannot identify you as you can enhance your privacy by running a full node using TOR and using an additional mixing layers.

The problem is if those trying to search for you are law enforcement agencies like the FBI, they can contact Google, Apple, Bing, Microsoft, coinbase, some electrum servers, block explorers, zzz, etc. Then trying to hide your identity may be next to impossible. Remember, the owner of ChipMixer has been tracked down and arrested. https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1574581/download

if you care about your privacy, Wasabi wallet is not a privacy option.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1031
Only BTC
July 13, 2023, 08:20:03 PM
Nobody knows this information, because Wasabi won't tell.

Even if Wasabi and zkSNACKs publish the criteria for blacklisting certain UTXO, it will not change the fact that they can blacklist any UTXO for any reason they decide at all, and surely they are storing and sharing data with a blockchain analysis firm, if not how then will they spy on their customers.
Activity: 714
Merit: 160
I'm a web developer. Hire me for your work.
July 13, 2023, 07:10:07 PM

Pages:
Jump to: