Pages:
Author

Topic: Watch only wallet with Private key - page 3. (Read 829 times)

legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
February 01, 2022, 03:53:37 AM
I will be careful. What I don't know (OP is a newbie) is how to share it privately. If you advise I will send it to you.

On the left area of each post you can find the user name of the poster.
Click that username, you'll see the user profile.
On the bottom area you'll find a link: Send this member a personal message. Click it and you'll be in an e-mail like form. You will see that the "to" area contains the correct target username.
Write the message and click "send private message".
Activity: 43
Merit: 7
February 01, 2022, 03:49:31 AM
Yes I am busy with it. On the other computer now it is the first time the orb remains blue arrows while its syncing. Previously went to green quickly but not fully synced. You might have a good point here.
Whether or not it syncs is irrelevant for the purposes of checking the address. Create a new wallet, import a private key, go to the addresses tab and see if the correct address shows up. You don't even need an internet connection to do this.

But, the wallet is watch-only?
Which obviously means OP has imported an address rather than a private key, but he insists he is importing private keys only and not addresses, and he also insists he is not getting confused and opening different wallets files. Either he is mistaken, or there is a never seen before bug in which his Electrum is converting an imported private key wallet in to a watch only wallet.

Are any of the old addresses which you cannot recover with these private keys empty? If there is a private key with no funds on it, it might be worth sharing it with someone you trust and asking them to recover it to see what happens.
[/b]

I will share it with you sir. How do I do it privately?
February 01, 2022, 03:47:25 AM
Are any of the old addresses which you cannot recover with these private keys empty? If there is a private key with no funds on it, it might be worth sharing it with someone you trust and asking them to recover it to see what happens.

At least one of his test addresses has one Satoshi on it. Sharing the private key would be an interesting approach so we can see what the problem is.
Just the risk is that maybe OP - as confused as he is - gives the key of an address with funds by mistake. Hence I would rather do this privately for start.

Yes I think it might be a good idea. I am willing to share one of the keys with one Satoshi in it with you guys to see if I do something wrong. Don't stress I might be confused with what is happening with our imports but I wont share keys with coins in it with anyone. I will be careful. What I don't know (OP is a newbie) is how to share it privately. If you advise I will send it to you.

Thanks once again
February 01, 2022, 03:37:15 AM
Yes I did it exactly like you did. Same key type and it returned next to the green "Receiving" my original addresses.

Yes a watching only wallet!

Now what we did next yesterday. We went to the city for a quicker internet line. We did a fresh download from Electrum.org website the oldest version available namely v1.8. We took one key (not address - Starts with an L Wink) and did like you did in your previous reply. Exactly like that.

It started importing and next to the Green receiving line gives a totally unknown address. The orb in the bottom righthand corner remains with the blue arrows syncing for 15 hours. Following moment orb goes green. Imported on top of the app change to watching only and the old original address appears next to the green receiving line and unknown address is gone.

Any ideas (OP did not make a mistake with the private key - Lets move beyond that point)
legendary
February 01, 2022, 02:22:19 AM

At least one of his test addresses has one Satoshi on it. Sharing the private key would be an interesting approach so we can see what the problem is.
Just the risk is that maybe OP - as confused as he is - gives the key of an address with funds by mistake. Hence I would rather do this privately for start.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587
January 31, 2022, 12:36:48 PM
Yes I am busy with it. On the other computer now it is the first time the orb remains blue arrows while its syncing. Previously went to green quickly but not fully synced. You might have a good point here.
Whether or not it syncs is irrelevant for the purposes of checking the address. Create a new wallet, import a private key, go to the addresses tab and see if the correct address shows up. You don't even need an internet connection to do this.

Which obviously means OP has imported an address rather than a private key, but he insists he is importing private keys only and not addresses, and he also insists he is not getting confused and opening different wallets files. Either he is mistaken, or there is a never seen before bug in which his Electrum is converting an imported private key wallet in to a watch only wallet.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
January 31, 2022, 12:17:30 PM
Yes I did it exactly like you did. Same key type and it returned next to the green "Receiving" my original addresses.

January 31, 2022, 12:12:06 PM
This can't be happening to anyone. Let me take your steps with 8 random private keys.

Yes I did it exactly like you did. Same key type and it returned next to the green "Receiving" my original addresses. With a download of which the signature was verified.

This is definitely not Electrum's fault. I don't know what's going on, but if he has verified the signature of the software it doesn't have to do with it.

I think its more a question of seeking help with my issue.

Fortunately Electrum returned my old wallet addresses which made me in return know that my addresses and key fit one another and that there is hope.

legendary
Farewell, Leo
January 31, 2022, 11:29:26 AM
What I meant if I import it into Bitcoin core it doesn't give a spendable wallet
What's the message it returns you? Could we have a screenshot from the GUI?

No one can explain this. I am desperate for someone to recall or have any idea why this is possible at all.
This can't be happening to anyone. Let me take your steps with 8 random private keys.

So you have these keys in a notepad, I assume, just like that:

You open up Electrum and try to restore your wallet. Follow the images.

You skip the password step and just click next. Do you see the addresses you own in a non-watch-only wallet?

As I wrote in another post: give it a try on a different computer. Maybe install Tails OS onto an USB stick (if you have a spare) and try from that one.
This is definitely not Electrum's fault. I don't know what's going on, but if he has verified the signature of the software it doesn't have to do with it.
January 31, 2022, 10:54:40 AM
There are lots of things that I can't explain such as:

Why did it take so long to sync?
Why did it return you a watch-only wallet if you imported private keys?

No one can explain this.

As I wrote in another post: give it a try on a different computer. Maybe install Tails OS onto an USB stick (if you have a spare) and try from that one.
The problem may be something else from your computer interfering with what you are trying to do.
It's the only explanation I have now, since if you indeed do all you claim to do, then Electrum clearly doesn't behave as expected.

legendary
January 31, 2022, 10:40:01 AM

No one can explain this.

The problem may be something else from your computer interfering with what you are trying to do.
It's the only explanation I have now, since if you indeed do all you claim to do, then Electrum clearly doesn't behave as expected.
January 31, 2022, 10:32:01 AM
Honestly, no, but you shouldn't give up. The more you talk about it, the more your chances to recover them.

Yes I cant afford to let it go. It feels like we are making progress but slow. Very slow. Three months now Smiley

For how many addresses are we talking about?

We have 8 addresses all Legacy wallets and address starting with 1. All private keys starting with K or L

This doesn't make sense. Why should private keys regenerate wallets? Do you mean they don't give the same addresses once imported to another wallet?

What I meant if I import it into Bitcoin core it doesn't give a spendable wallet

No one can explain this. I am desperate for someone to recall or have any idea why this is possible at all. Just the way it happened and I have to find a reason or solution. I imported it exactly the way you showed on top. Prepend included.

Note that if your private key starts with K, then these are compressed addresses and since your time period was 2011-2015, those addresses should be starting with 1. Blockchain dot com or Exodus may return you addresses that either start with 3 or bc1.

Unfortunately they give me an address that starts with 1 as shown in the pictures. If it returned me addresses starting with 3 or bc1 then it was easily explainable. But no.

Have you tried importing one private key at a time?

Yes with the same result 100%

I am dumbstruck with this issue. Should not be that difficult but thats how it is. But yes we are working on it with you guys.

Thank you so far

legendary
Farewell, Leo
January 31, 2022, 09:22:43 AM
Does it make more sense what I tried to solve my issue?
Honestly, no, but you shouldn't give up. The more you talk about it, the more your chances to recover them.

1. I started with bitcoin core around 2011 up to 2015. Private keys and addresses generated those years. Left the addresses with some coins and never had a look at it again until last year November.
For how many addresses are we talking about?

2. I tried to get access to my wallets in bitcoin core but private keys wont regenerate spendable wallets. Did not even show addresses.
This doesn't make sense. Why should private keys regenerate wallets? Do you mean they don't give the same addresses once imported to another wallet?

3. Downloaded Electrum 4.1.5 and import private keys in Electrum. Took some time but gave me a watching only wallet but with my original Addresses the way I left it with the coins still there.

• Why did it take so long to sync?
  • Why did it return you a watch-only wallet if you imported private keys?

There's probably something done wrong during the importation as I've never seen this case before. If you're importing valid private keys in the correct format, such as:
Code:
p2pkh:KzoyMdabwRwfWy98HQzrhdXFw6bcUCJKK9RR32VpkYcS4WtoUHKB

You should be getting a non-watch-only wallet.

4. Tried to import the private key in Blockchain but it gave me a different address. No coins in it (Obviously). Same different address with Exodus.
Note that if your private key starts with K, then these are compressed addresses and since your time period was 2011-2015, those addresses should be starting with 1. Blockchain dot com or Exodus may return you addresses that either start with 3 or bc1.

What you're looking is called a legacy address. Again, those that start with 1. Don't mess with wallet software that don't have the option of importing legacy addresses, it's a waste of time.

5. Went back to Electrum again. Gave me watching only address again when importing private keys with original addresses.
Have you tried importing one private key at a time?

6. Never tried to import any address in any of these platforms.
Good, stick with Electrum, it's more than fine.
January 31, 2022, 08:17:15 AM

I said if I import the keys (not addresses) in another platform like blockchain I get an address for that Private key that is different to the original addresses that I got years back.
So, you're importing the L3k1...5i to blockchain dot com and don't get the same address as you were with Bitcoin Core in 2013, correct? One step at a time.
[/quote]

1. I started with bitcoin core around 2011 up to 2015. Private keys and addresses generated those years. Left the addresses with some coins and never had a look at it again until last year November.

2. I tried to get access to my wallets in bitcoin core but private keys wont regenerate spendable wallets. Did not even show addresses.

3. Downloaded Electrum 4.1.5 and import private keys in Electrum. Took some time but gave me a watching only wallet but with my original Addresses the way I left it with the coins still there.

4. Tried to import the private key in Blockchain but it gave me a different address. No coins in it (Obviously). Same different address with Exodus.

5. Went back to Electrum again. Gave me watching only address again when importing private keys with original addresses.

6. Never tried to import any address in any of these platforms.

Does it make more sense what I tried to solve my issue?

legendary
Farewell, Leo
January 31, 2022, 07:58:46 AM
I am not with you sir. Did you read the entire thread?
I read the entire thread, but I'm not confident to say that I've fully understood what's the problem.

I am not trying to hide my addresses.
bennas.imgbb.com tells me otherwise.

I said if I import the keys (not addresses) in another platform like blockchain I get an address for that Private key that is different to the original addresses that I got years back.
So, you're importing the L3k1...5i to blockchain dot com and don't get the same address as you were with Bitcoin Core in 2013, correct? One step at a time.
January 31, 2022, 07:31:53 AM
So let me get this straight. You downloaded Electrum, you imported your private key(s) whose addresses have received BTC, and wanted to spend those coins. But, at first you couldn't sync your Electrum client. (You said it was taking hours to complete)

Now that you do have synced it (I can see it from your shared images) you don't get... What? Weren't you getting the correct addresses given the private keys you'd saved?

Also, if you want to hide your addresses, better do it in the entire text, not just within it. I can easily search what's your address as I know the first 6 characters and the last 8 characters.

I am not with you sir. Did you read the entire thread? I am not trying to hide my addresses. Theres dust in that one.

I said if I import the keys (not addresses) in another platform like blockchain I get an address for that Private key that is different to the original addresses that I got years back. The new address that show up in blockchain and Exodus is empty. No coins. But when I import it in Electrum Private keys ( not addresses) it brings up the original addresses that belong to that Private key. After a while of course and watch only. Those still have the correct transactions and coins in it.

Do you understand what my problem is?
legendary
Farewell, Leo
January 31, 2022, 07:22:04 AM
So let me get this straight. You downloaded Electrum, you imported your private key(s) whose addresses have received BTC, and wanted to spend those coins. But, at first you couldn't sync your Electrum client. (You said it was taking hours to complete)

Now that you do have synced it (I can see it from your shared images) you don't get... What? Weren't you getting the correct addresses given the private keys you'd saved?

Also, if you want to hide your addresses, better do it in the entire text, not just within it. I can easily search what's your address as I know the first 6 characters and the last 8 characters.
January 31, 2022, 07:19:03 AM
Yes true it is from Bitcoin core but I am just looking for some fresh approach to look at my situation. Like I said Electrum have the ability to pick up the right addresses for the private keys. So it means something in its software links the original addresses where the coins are with the private keys that now gives a different address. You see where I am going? I know he is trying to restore from seed phrase.
legendary
January 31, 2022, 07:10:20 AM
I saw another post in the thread of Bennoko where nc50lc made the following comment " That's what I'm talking about in the previous replies, as stated in the release notes of v0.32+: /index.php?topic=5379817.msg58904925#msg58904925
The key derivation was changed twice since v0.31 (v0.31 and v0.34), thus, those old wallets' private keys can't be restored using the latest version.
He'll have to get the private keys from the restored wallet in v0.30 and import them to the latest (if still didn't worked, get the keys from v0.32~0.33)."

That makes me think that I might have a similar problem. The Electrum app picks up my correct addresses without having the address near to it. So must have a historical link to it. I am just not sure if a developer might shed some light on it but for the interim I am following your suggestions.

Many thanks

You seem to be confusing apples with oranges. That thread is discussing about restoring a wallet based on electrum seed, not private keys. (And while the seed has change, the private keys didn't).
A seed is a list of (usually English) normal words. It's not what you have, since you stated you have private keys taken from Bitcoin Core. Or?
January 31, 2022, 07:04:28 AM
Only wanted to mention again that we have an exceptionally bad line speed where I stay. Looks like it could contribute to all of this.

I kinda doubt it.
However, I've got an idea which I am not sure it was discussed:

Is there a chance that the wallet file cannot be properly written to HDD or get overwritten by an older version (by an antivirus or system protection), or something like that?
What I mean is the maybe you manage to try to restore your wallet on another computer (of course, make sure it's clean and that the Electrum is from electrum.org and verified). Or you can try for an 0.00000001 address even on your smartphone (although I don't have the same experience on smartphone) ; maybe you see whether it restores to the correct address and it's spendable or not. Or you can try sparrow wallet, which is pretty much compatible with Electrum and uses Electrum servers too, but it may get a bit more complicated to set up.

Maybe they're only crazy ideas, but if you have that time, it's only a bit of time to lose, isn't it?

Thank you sir

I like your thinking and crazy ideas. My wallets are very old and created in the beginning if BTC.

I saw another post in the thread of Bennoko where nc50lc made the following comment " That's what I'm talking about in the previous replies, as stated in the release notes of v0.32+: /index.php?topic=5379817.msg58904925#msg58904925
The key derivation was changed twice since v0.31 (v0.31 and v0.34), thus, those old wallets' private keys can't be restored using the latest version.
He'll have to get the private keys from the restored wallet in v0.30 and import them to the latest (if still didn't worked, get the keys from v0.32~0.33)."

That makes me think that I might have a similar problem. The Electrum app picks up my correct addresses without having the address near to it. So must have a historical link to it. I am just not sure if a developer might shed some light on it but for the interim I am following your suggestions.

Many thanks
Pages:
Jump to: