Pages:
Author

Topic: Watch only wallet with Private key - page 6. (Read 831 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587
January 10, 2022, 06:39:49 AM
This should not happen.

Are you sure you are opening the correct wallet file? You can have multiple different wallet files with Electrum. It is possible you created a watch only wallet using the addresses which Electrum is now opening by default when you open Electrum, whereas the wallet file you create the with private keys is elsewhere.

Repeat the whole process again. Create a brand new wallet, choose to import private keys, and make sure you are entering p2pkh:K....

If that doesn't work, uninstall, redownload, reverify, and reinstall Electrum, in case there was some issue with your download or installation.
Activity: 43
Merit: 7
January 10, 2022, 05:39:19 AM
I saw a topic on the forum which make me think it could be the problem as Hugesie27 said he could not solve his similar issue and only manage to after uninstall the app and do a complete new install.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.56868841

Also I am using Electrum for the first time so I cant reply on whether it happened before. We used Bitcoin Core way back when it was still small.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
January 10, 2022, 05:29:24 AM
I installed the electrum app on my one laptop and synced the database. I wanted to check my other wallet on my other laptop because of the line speed and copied the database over after installing the app. Will it have any effect because the error came up on this laptop?
You can copy the "blockchain_headers" file and your wallet file and everything should be fine as long as the Electrum version on both systems are the same. Other files like "config", "daemon", and "certs" folder should be fine too but there is no need to copy them.
January 10, 2022, 05:23:27 AM
Yes we checked the signature after downloading from electrum.org

Also I stay in South Africa in a more rural area and my line speed is around 4.5m/sec and latency round 250msec

I have a quick question. I installed the electrum app on my one laptop and synced the database. I wanted to check my other wallet on my other laptop because of the line speed and copied the database over after installing the app. Will it have any effect because the error came up on this laptop?
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
January 10, 2022, 05:03:59 AM
Did you experience before?

The only time I had problems importing a private key into Electrum was when I was playing with key that's pretty much known by everybody and it has far too many transactions. In such a case the Electrum servers will make you wait a lot and possibly even fail.

Just some safety checks:
Did you download electrum from electrum.org? Did you verify it? https://bitcoinelectrum.com/how-to-verify-your-electrum-download/
Did you put p2pkh: before the private key at import?

If the number of transactions is indeed that big you may need a wallet that doesn't rely on electrum servers, and then I don't know a better option than Bitcoin Core (with the 300+GB of blockchain). So let's see where the problem is. The number of transactions you can see on a block explorer by address.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
January 10, 2022, 04:51:52 AM
I import the corresponding private key into electrum
It synced after 30 hours
“This wallet is watching-only.
The only thing I can think of is that you are not using Electrum. It is either some other software (eg. a full node) or it is malicious (eg. fake Electrum). Did you verify the signature? Here is a guide: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-how-to-safely-download-and-verify-electrum-guide-5240594

Because Electrum barely downloads 70 MB when it is syncing for the first time and it shouldn't take 30 hours to download that. And if you have imported private keys there is no way for Electrum to have built a watch only wallet.
January 10, 2022, 04:47:42 AM
Good day everyone

Thanks for your help here.

My frustration as follows:

I have Legacy wallets from bitcoin core as from 2012/2014 with their corresponding private keys. I checked the coins on cointracker with the address and coin results correspond.

https://bitcoinelectrum.com/importing-your-private-keys-into-electrum/

I import the corresponding private key into electrum exactly using the guide above and insert the appropriate prepend script for my wallet like in the info button on the page. It synced after 30 hours and gave me the same balance and coins but put a message up saying the following:

“This wallet is watching-only. This means you will not be able to spend Bitcoins with it. Make sure you own the seed phrase or the private keys, before you request Bitcoins to be sent to this wallet”

But that is exactly what I did. I do own the private key and imported the private key. It starts with “K” and others with a “L” is 52 characters long and has a corresponding wallet address starting with 1, in other words Legacy address.

I did not import the address at all. The privacy key gave me the right address after import. The history and coins are also right.

Did you experience before?

Thank you in advance

Pages:
Jump to: