Pages:
Author

Topic: we need to stop using bitcoin and start using... - page 3. (Read 2186 times)

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169
... satoshi instead (click-bait master)  Cool

today someone came to me saying how he was regretting not listening to me and investing in bitcoin. apparently he checked the price this morning Cheesy
and he continued that now it is too late since he can not buy 1 whole bitcoin.

i had to sit him down and have the "talk" with him about all the 8 more zeros that come after the 1 whole bitcoin and the fact that he can choose (almost) any of them and put a number and buy there.

that is why i think it is time to start using the smaller units for bitcoin more often.

i myself prefer Satoshi over all. but there are a lot of them.

most popular:
mBTC= 0.00100000BTC
uBTC=bits= 0.00000100BTC
satoshi=0.00000001BTC

more here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Units

A 1 bitcoin can surely need some satoshi lovin, and I think that if you really want to have a bitcoin you need to start in mbtc, satoshi and bits and it is a shame that I myself have been a late starter in this kind of currency I have never notice back then the true value of it because the motivation and the guts in earning it is not there, and right now because of the price of bitcoin people think they can easily take 1 BTC I think they need to climb  from the bottom.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Yea, I have been saying this for a while now.... people are too fixated on the price of a whole bitcoin and when they see the price of a whole

bitcoin they back away, because they think it is too expensive. I had the same thing with a friend of mine... but I was lucky... I created a wallet

for him and send him 0.1 BTC.... he immediately got it and started to buy more.  Wink
Thats a good idea.Even i too have faced such situations when explaining bitcoin to my friends.They get scared at once when they hear me saying that one bitcoin is $1950.They feel sad that they could not buy bitcoin as its price is very high.I convince them saying that bitcoin could be divided into 8 digits and then only they get satisfied.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
Only poor people think about dollars and pennies. Rich people, like us that hodl Bitcoin for some years, think only in multiples of thousands, the hundreds and below being insignificant. So for now bitcoins is the best for us.

Maybe some day the thousands dollars could be counted in smaller fractions of Bitcoins
U2
Activity: 676
Merit: 503
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
If your friend is too dumb to realize that bitcoins can be broken down to 8 decimal places then obviously he never did any checking into it at all. Not even a quick wikipedia read or anything. I've told every friend and family member about bitcoins for a long time and none of them invested. My brother probably shit his pants the other day when I told him how much I have in cold storage. He's worried about stupid crap that's never making any money meanwhile I have 10x profits of money I earned back in the day. Go figure.

Going on about how to tell people about bitcoins in what denomination shouldn't matter. I'm not a millionaire if I have 1 million pennies. Everyone knows that. Just educate them rather than trying to dumb it down for them. Oh and your friend probably still didn't invest. Then another year will go by and he'll be whining still. That's exactly what everyone in my family does. Oh well. I'll retire at 40 and they can keep working until they're dead haha.
Activity: 588
Merit: 254
Yea, I have been saying this for a while now.... people are too fixated on the price of a whole bitcoin and when they see the price of a whole

bitcoin they back away, because they think it is too expensive. I had the same thing with a friend of mine... but I was lucky... I created a wallet

for him and send him 0.1 BTC.... he immediately got it and started to buy more.  Wink
you sent a friend $200? Can I be friends with you too?
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145

today someone came to me saying how he was regretting not listening to me and investing in bitcoin. apparently he checked the price this morning Cheesy

i had to sit him down and have the "talk" with him about all the 8 more zeros that come after the 1 whole bitcoin and the fact that he can choose (almost) any of them and put a number and buy there.

that is why i think it is time to start using the smaller units for bitcoin more often.

most popular:
mBTC= 0.00100000BTC
uBTC=bits= 0.00000100BTC
satoshi=0.00000001BTC

USD is the most convenient and widespread measuring unit of value nowdays, so it's reasonable that for BTC it's the most convenient to use the closest unit - mBTC. Wallets like MultiBit and Electrum use it as their default unit. Satoshi is still to small and it would feel too clunky to use numbers with a lot of decimals.
Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

most popular:
mBTC= 0.00100000BTC
uBTC=bits= 0.00000100BTC
satoshi=0.00000001BTC

True that, you have a valid point out there. I have myself faced this problem, people go berserk when they hear the price. Even gold is pricey but you absolutely do not buy the while bar, you buy bits or grams of it. Maybe if the word satoshi's are used more often that will help them to understand that they to can enjoy it. I will use this next time will post the results here, will get more positive responses, I feel.
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1140
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
Eventually the value of bitcoins will be so high that we´ll be using satoshi sooner than espected.

I would agree with the idea of using satoshi instead of bitcoin in the daily usage but I think it will be more appreciated once 1 bitcoin price will rise to $5k or even to $10k  Smiley
Activity: 294
Merit: 102
Eventually the value of bitcoins will be so high that we´ll be using satoshi sooner than espected.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
I don't think we need to start using satoshi just yet. Saying something is 50,000 satoshi is going to confuse someone. They would have no idea what that means in terms of USD price.

Maybe Half Bitcoin and Quarter Bitcoin or something. People also get confused in MicroBitcoin and other similar things. We sohuld probably stick to what most people already use as lingo for dollars.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292
There is trouble abrewing

most popular:
mBTC= 0.00100000BTC
uBTC=bits= 0.00000100BTC
satoshi=0.00000001BTC

Pages:
Jump to: