Pages:
Author

Topic: Weekly pool and network statistics - page 17. (Read 91252 times)

legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
April 28, 2013, 06:37:33 PM
thank you for the effort of creating this, im really interested in the stats and data shown here.
However, i dont really know what they mean other than BTCGuild has the most ppl mining on them.
but the other avg hashrate etc, i dont really know what do they mean in term for practical uses.

can someone care enough how to translate those data and stats into "english" ??

* like is that mean for ppl with < 5Gh/s is better to join bigger pool ?? med / low pool?
* what are the advantage and disadvantages to join big/med/small pool??
* if we like PPNS more which pool should we join better? what abt if its PPS ?

thank you for your time explaining it to me.cheers.

Aren't the terms defined in the top post?

Many of the things you ask are a bit of personal preference.

Here's another list that can help you decide how you want to mine.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1146108
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
April 28, 2013, 05:48:56 PM
Thanks for another great week of information organofcorti.  Glad to see that BTC Guild is slightly dropping on network hash %, I've been dreading having to start my 51% mitigation steps.

Also loving the violin plots in the full post!
donator
Activity: 2058
Poor impulse control.
April 28, 2013, 05:43:28 PM
thank you for the effort of creating this, im really interested in the stats and data shown here.
However, i dont really know what they mean other than BTCGuild has the most ppl mining on them.
but the other avg hashrate etc, i dont really know what do they mean in term for practical uses.

* like is that mean for ppl with < 5Gh/s is better to join bigger pool ?? med / low pool?

Before I start, did you read the full blog post?
Activity: 282
Merit: 250
April 28, 2013, 01:30:04 PM

donator
Poor impulse control.
April 28, 2013, 08:35:16 AM
28th April 2013 weekly pool and network statistics
Welcome, miners.

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:
Nil.

Pools missing from results:

Nil.

"ASIC ready" pools:

BTCGuild
50BTC.com
Slush's pool
Ozcoin
HHTT
Bitminter
EclipseMC
Eligius
Bitparking
Itzod
Triplemining

Pool hopping:
None. I am I going to be the only one to test out my Avalon this way? When it arrives, I mean.
Another hack this week - Slush's pool. Luckily Slush managed to prevent to from becoming a catastrophe, but with recent recent uptick in DDOS attacks it seems pools are becoming a significant target. I wonder if the attackers realise how little most pool ops get to keep from their (mostly) tiny fees?

Thanks to all who donated to Ozcoin. Some of the coins were returned, its miners have been paid and the pool is back on its feet.

BTCGuild has dropped to about 35% of network blocks ad anout 40% of the network hashrate. Hopefully some miners are taking eleuthria seriously and have moved to other, smaller pools - such as Bitparking (now a top 5 pool after almost doubling its hashrate this week), Eligius, EclipseMC and Itzod. 50BTC also picked up a lot of extra hashes this week.

As usual, please post comments if there's anything you don't understand, with which you disagree, or just think is wrong.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/04/28th-april-2013-weekly-pool-and-network.html

You can view all previous charts and other posts and fun things at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com

donator
Poor impulse control.
April 21, 2013, 06:50:09 AM
21st April 2013 weekly pool and network statistics
Welcome, miners.

Changelog:
Bitminter and Ozcoin added to figure 8 (proportion of hashrate per user per pool).

Pools missing from results:

Ozcoin - couldn't connect to site today, understandable due to recent events.

"ASIC ready" pools:

BTCGuild
50BTC.com
Slush's pool
Ozcoin
HHTT
Bitminter
EclipseMC
Eligius
Bitparking
Itzod
Triplemining

Pool hopping:
None. Really. not even a little bit. You'd think ASIC owners would want to maximise their profits but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The big news this week was the hack of Ozcoin. Pool op Graet had just arranged for a large backlog of shares to be paid out, and the entire payout was stolen by an unknown individual. If you're interested in following the coin trail and trying to find the cuprit, the trail starts with address 16cDeEFn6sraUEJrDCt2Yg3r7j2oazSYEd.

My best wishes go out to Graet, who has been an important part of the mining community for years, and who has spent time and effort providing a low cost pool, helping miners mine better, and supporting the community generally. If you'd like to help support Ozcoin you can send hashes to yourbtc.net or bitcoin donations to 1Gzcbs8dDYzf16qFWKHc5kWKuH8nji3pVt

Since Ozcoin is not in this week's stats, the unknown proportion of the network hashrate is higher.

BTCGuild crossed the line of 40% of the average network hashrate this week. However, due to ongoing bad luck there, BTCGuild only has 37.6% of network blocks, an increase of 0.9% since last week. There was no significant change in the average network hashrate this week, so BTCGuild has gained a few hashes - despite the penalties eleuthria will be putting in place if the pool grows much larger.

As usual, please post comments if there's anything you don't understand, with which you disagree, or just think is wrong.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/04/21st-april-2013-weekly-pool-and-network.html

You can view all previous charts and other posts and fun things at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com

donator
Poor impulse control.
April 17, 2013, 07:57:04 AM
Would be nice to see the luck (graphical) of the pools like on ozco website:
https://ozco.in/content/luck-bitcoin
(for me it seems that deepbit was very lucky last time and it would be interesting if this is right or wrong..)

Short answer is yes, I can. Although it needs to be in terms of percentage of difficulty since difficulty can change mid week. When I can do it is a different question - I have to rewrite scripts for all the pools to capture the data, and then fine tuning the chart will take time. But it is a good suggestion and I'll get on to it when I can. Paying jobs come first though, so maybe a few weeks? Remind me again if I haven't done it by mid May.
donator
Poor impulse control.
April 17, 2013, 06:08:40 AM

my guess is you are using chrome,recent updates make you click the shield in the address bar at right end and allow the insecure content
google chrome blocking google graphs Cheesy

I am using chrome but I dont get the shield thingy, and weirdly enough I can see the graphs today. Odd, huh?
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
April 15, 2013, 11:41:43 PM
(for me it seems that deepbit was very lucky last time and it would be interesting if this is right or wrong..)

For some reason I can't see the Ozco.in charts at the moment - they're just appearing blank to me. Can you post a screen grab or describe them?

In the mean time, the chart below gives the luck for the week. A dot at 0.5 is median luck, lower than this is good luck, and higher than this is bad luck.

my guess is you are using chrome,recent updates make you click the shield in the address bar at right end and allow the insecure content
google chrome blocking google graphs Cheesy
donator
Poor impulse control.
April 15, 2013, 10:45:26 PM

For some reason I can't see the Ozco.in charts at the moment - they're just appearing blank to me. Can you post a screen grab or describe them?

In the mean time, the chart below gives the luck for the week. A dot at 0.5 is median luck, lower than this is good luck, and higher than this is bad luck.

legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
April 15, 2013, 12:10:39 PM

zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com
April 15, 2013, 07:30:40 AM
If you haven't already done so, could you run an analysis testing whether there are possibly ASICs mining above and beyond what ASICMINER and Avalon have publicly noted?

The pre-ASIC network hashrate was 24500 Ghps and the max total from Avalons and ASICMiner is 32000Ghps. The current total is about 68000 Ghps. That leaves 11500 Ghps, or more (I'm still not sure if all Avalons have shipped or if ASICMiner is hashing at more than the 7Thps on BTCGuild).

I don't know if that difference is due to unknown ASIC hashes or not. I can tell when the network hashrate increases in a way that can't be accounted for by the MTGOX price, but if more ASICs were added when ASICMiner and the Avalons came on board, it would be hidden. There hasn't been any such spike in hashrate recently.

It could just be that because the increase in price made GPU's viable again, a whole bunch more were added. Sorry I can't be more specific.

The good news is that I did just come up with a great band name if any bitcoin mining musicians want need one: ASICMiner and the Avalons. "ooh hash it, hash it real good...."

My GPUs have been more profitable the last two months than at any point last year, only 2Q 2011 was more lucrative
donator
Poor impulse control.
April 14, 2013, 10:20:19 PM
If you haven't already done so, could you run an analysis testing whether there are possibly ASICs mining above and beyond what ASICMINER and Avalon have publicly noted?

The pre-ASIC network hashrate was 24500 Ghps and the max total from Avalons and ASICMiner is 32000Ghps. The current total is about 68000 Ghps. That leaves 11500 Ghps, or more (I'm still not sure if all Avalons have shipped or if ASICMiner is hashing at more than the 7Thps on BTCGuild).

I don't know if that difference is due to unknown ASIC hashes or not. I can tell when the network hashrate increases in a way that can't be accounted for by the MTGOX price, but if more ASICs were added when ASICMiner and the Avalons came on board, it would be hidden. There hasn't been any such spike in hashrate recently.

It could just be that because the increase in price made GPU's viable again, a whole bunch more were added. Sorry I can't be more specific.

The good news is that I did just come up with a great band name if any bitcoin mining musicians want need one: ASICMiner and the Avalons. "ooh hash it, hash it real good...."

vip
April 14, 2013, 08:30:07 PM
Thanks Graet. I notice the hashrate is actually there - was it there in January? I thought I'd only gotten shares and not the hashrate back then.

Anyway, I'll be including Ozcoin next week!
Pretty sure we have always shown hashrate on the hall-fame-round-shares-bitcoin Smiley
and cool, cheers Cheesy

Well, I feel kinda silly now - sorry about that. I have no idea what I did there.

Hope you're taking some time off the pool on Thursday - enjoy your BBQ!

Hadn't planned to - though I should take your advice Tongue
umm wouldn't be a week ahead of yourself re: the 25th?

Damnit! Now you've oriented me to which week I'm in, I'll have turn turn up to work on Thursday.

I really shouldn't post late at night when I'm watching TV.

Nah it's ok lets both have the day off anyway - we both need it  Grin
If work hassles you tell them I said it would be ok
<.<
>.>
donator
Poor impulse control.
April 14, 2013, 07:43:48 PM
Thanks Graet. I notice the hashrate is actually there - was it there in January? I thought I'd only gotten shares and not the hashrate back then.

Pretty sure we have always shown hashrate on the hall-fame-round-shares-bitcoin Smiley
and cool, cheers Cheesy

Well, I feel kinda silly now - sorry about that. I have no idea what I did there.

Damnit! Now you've oriented me to which week I'm in, I'll have turn turn up to work on Thursday.

I really shouldn't post late at night when I'm watching TV.
vip
April 14, 2013, 07:37:41 PM

and cool, cheers Cheesy

donator
Poor impulse control.
April 14, 2013, 10:15:29 AM

and cool, cheers Cheesy

vip
April 14, 2013, 10:09:26 AM
Nice work, as always. Smiley

I like the new violin plot of hashrate distribution among miners in a pool.

What kind of API/data do you prefer, to add more pools there?

Glad you like!

CSV or JSON - doesn't really matter since I just need a vector of hashrates in Ghps, nothing else.

What I'd really like is the 24 hour average hashrate per user account. Is 24 hours a problem? Not many pools average for that long, but I suspect that has to do with what miners want rather than what I want Smiley

I've also meant to ask Graet about this - Ozcoin's Hall of Fame lists shares contributed per miner, but I'm not sure over what sort of time period, or whether they're D1 equivalent.

Any pool op that doen't yet publish these stats but wants to be added is welcome to post here or PM me. I want to (at some point) provide a chart of how each pool's hashrate distribution changes over time.

Ho ooc
http://ozcoin.net/content/hall-fame-round-shares-bitcoin is by round (users PPS and pot are dummy users to keep DGM stats correct - probably shouldn't be displayed)
http://ozcoin.net/content/hall-fame-lifetime-shares-bitcoin is alltime since we moved to the new site (30 December 2011)
and everything is converted back to D1 equivalent for payout and stats calculations
hope thats a help Smiley

Keep up the good work Cheesy

and cool, cheers Cheesy
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
April 14, 2013, 09:44:17 AM
donator
Poor impulse control.
April 14, 2013, 08:23:22 AM
Nice work, as always. Smiley

I like the new violin plot of hashrate distribution among miners in a pool.

What kind of API/data do you prefer, to add more pools there?

Glad you like!

CSV or JSON - doesn't really matter since I just need a vector of hashrates in Ghps, nothing else.

What I'd really like is the 24 hour average hashrate per user account. Is 24 hours a problem? Not many pools average for that long, but I suspect that has to do with what miners want rather than what I want Smiley

I've also meant to ask Graet about this - Ozcoin's Hall of Fame lists shares contributed per miner, but I'm not sure over what sort of time period, or whether they're D1 equivalent.

Any pool op that doen't yet publish these stats but wants to be added is welcome to post here or PM me. I want to (at some point) provide a chart of how each pool's hashrate distribution changes over time.

Ho ooc
http://ozcoin.net/content/hall-fame-round-shares-bitcoin is by round (users PPS and pot are dummy users to keep DGM stats correct - probably shouldn't be displayed)
http://ozcoin.net/content/hall-fame-lifetime-shares-bitcoin is alltime since we moved to the new site (30 December 2011)
and everything is converted back to D1 equivalent for payout and stats calculations
hope thats a help Smiley

Keep up the good work Cheesy

Pages:
Jump to: