Pages:
Author

Topic: Weekly pool and network statistics - page 19. (Read 91284 times)

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
March 10, 2013, 04:22:10 AM
Thanks again ooc Cheesy
Next week's statistics will be interesting after ~1.5 more terahash of asics joined the pool this morning
Interesting times Cheesy

It certainly was an interesting week Smiley

You haven't seen anything yet.  This month is going to be one hell of a ride.  Avalons are starting to show up in greater numbers.  At the very least it will be fun to see the Top 10 pools shuffle around in rank as the hash power finds new homes.
donator
Activity: 2058
Poor impulse control.
March 10, 2013, 03:58:28 AM
Thanks again ooc Cheesy
Next week's statistics will be interesting after ~1.5 more terahash of asics joined the pool this morning
Interesting times Cheesy

It certainly was an interesting week Smiley
donator
Poor impulse control.
March 10, 2013, 03:58:01 AM
10th March 2013 weekly pool and network statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

BTGGuild pool op eleuthria provided me with a fancypants new API last week, which means that not only is the calculated hashrate now accurate (now confidence interval required) but I can also calculate the pool luck, CDF, shares per round / Difficulty, and chart the intraweek hashrates. All have been included this week.

Since HHTT has become a top ten pool (in terms of percentage of network hashrate) I spent some time including them this week. The hashrate has a confidence interval since the current data is insufficient to calculate the pool's luck, and I'm not certain that my script for it wont break as the HTML for the site doesn't seem to be standard. Be prepared for HHTT to be missing every now and then.

The "Predictions that came true" department
From last week's post:
The hashrate at Ozcoin has increased consistently since well before ASICs were being used on the pool, and their percentage of the network averaged at 50% more than DeepBit for the past week. If hashrates continue to change as they have for the last four weeks, Ozcoin could be the second largest pool in the network within a month.
This has happened somewhat sooner than I expected - Ozcoin miners now pool the second largest amount of network hashing, after BTCGuild. A large number of ASICs joined them over this past week. The top three pools now gather more than 50% of the networks total hashes.

The sources of "unknown" hashes has declined even further, down to 10% of network blocks solved this week. Once difficulty is increased to the point that GPU mining is prohibitive, the "unknowns" will represent only solominers and dark pools without botnets - so I expect this percentage to drop even further over the coming weeks.

Deepbit is being hopped a little, and Slush's pool is being hopped is a way that hasn't occurred for a long time. Although I haven't checked, I wouldn't expect this to have a very significant effect on miner earnings.

MTRED is actually using variable difficulty, but I haven't found any details about it on the MTRED website yet so I'm not sure they're "ASIC ready".

Top 10 pools which are "ASIC ready" (in order of size):
BTCGuild
Ozcoin
Slush's pool
Bitminter
EclipseMC
HHTT
Itzod

As usual, please post comments if there's anything you don't understand, with which you disagree, or just think is wrong.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/03/10th-march-2013-weekly-pool-and-network.html

You can view all previous charts and other posts and fun things at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com

vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
March 03, 2013, 01:57:42 AM
Thanks again ooc Cheesy
Interesting times Cheesy
donator
Poor impulse control.
March 03, 2013, 12:19:04 AM
3rd March 2013 weekly pool and network statistics

Welcome, miners.

Top 10 pools which are "ASIC ready" (in order of size):

BTCGuild
Slush's pool
Ozcoin
EclipseMC
Bitminter
Itzod
p2Pool

Top 10 pools that have had an increase in percentage of the network hashrate this week (in order of size):

BTCGuild
Slush's pool
Ozcoin
EclipseMC
MTRED

There are still only a small number of ASICs running, and these are having a disproportionate affect on the network and on the pools hosting them. I expect all pools that are "ASIC ready" to displace all the "not ASIC ready" pools from the top 10.

MTRED is a bit of a mystery - where is it's increase in hashrate coming from? Has redditorex actually made it "ASIC ready" just just not updated the MTRED website? Or are the GPU miners that are attempting to mine the last few coins at current difficulty jumping on to the only zero fee PPS pool?

The "unknown" portion of the pie continues to reduce. It will be ineresting to see if that reduction accelerates as difficulty increases, or if the solominers and dark pools upgrade to ASICs. If they don't they were probably botnets, and we'll all be better off without them.

BitMinter's drop in hashrate is a bit of a shock. This is a pool that belongs in the top 5 but has seen a constant reduction in hashrate since their own DDoS experience a while back. I hope DrHaribo is able to turn this around. Well, I'm sure he will, since BitMinter is one of only a few "ASIC ready" pools. And in other DDoS casualty news, Coinotron is still down and under DDoS attack. This must be some kind of record, and my best wishes go out to the Coinotron team.

Ozcoin gets the "Quiet achiever" award for February. The hashrate at Ozcoin has increased consistently since well before ASICs were being used on the pool, and their percentage of the network averaged at 50% more than DeepBit for the past week. If hashrates continue to change as they have for the last four weeks, Ozcoin could be the second largest pool in the network within a month.

If DeepBit is unable to improve their "ASIC ready" status, EclipseMC or BitMinter may replace them in the top 5. A year ago, when some miners were making their stange "Boycott DeepBit" demands, no one had any idea that things could change so drastically in twelve menths.

Finally - look at BTCGuild's percentage of the network history. It's actually much greater than that - more like 30% of the network. However the pool has had poor luck this week, which affects the method I use to estimate the hashrate. BTCGuild pool op eleuthria and I are working on a way to make this an accurate result rather than an estimate with confidence intervals.

As usual, please post comments if there's anything you don't understand, with which you disagree, or just think is wrong.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/3rd-march-2013-weekly-pool-and-network.html

You can view all previous charts and other posts and fun things at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com

donator
Poor impulse control.
February 24, 2013, 06:01:17 AM
24th February 2013 weekly pool and network statistics

Welcome, miners.

Last week my estimate of BTCGuild's hashrate was a slight underestimate. BTCGuild pool op eleuthria kindly made a quick adjustment to the block history on the website, so this week's estimate is correct (within the listed 95% confidence interval). BTCGuild now has 25% of the network, a percentage not seen for any pool since DeepBit in July last year

As well as ASICMiner continuing to add hashes to BTCGuild, Avalon ASICs began to appear on various pools.

Ozcoin's hashrate has constantly increased during the week, and only Ozcoin and 50BTC have had any singnificant increase in the network. Other pools have had steady hashrates, but because the overall network has increased so much their percentage of the network has declined.

This was likely to happen - each new Avalon ASIC increases the variance in hashrate between pools until each pool has a steady increase in hashrate from ASICs. I estimate that by May 2013 the network hashrate will increase by an order of magnitude or more - so right now all pools are starting with approximately the same hashrate.

This would have been a good opportunity  for very small pools to make sure they have variable difficulty and local work available, and to offer rebates to ASIC miners. So far only Ozcoin, Eligius, BTCGuild and 50BTC seem to have attracted significant numbers of the new ASICs, but that may change.

Ozcoin did overtake Deepbit this week, and Coinotron is still down - apparently an ongoing DDoS.

The pie chart shows a significant drop in the "unknown" hashrate (sources of network hashes other than pools included in the weekly summary). The hashes from the unknown sources do not seem to be using ASICs, so perhaps they have mostly been botnets mining their own bitcoind? Or a dark pool for botnets? (I'm making this up as I go, but some reader will have a better idea about this than I).

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/02/24th-february-2013-weekly-pool-and.html

legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
February 20, 2013, 08:09:52 PM
I would use the "7 day window" line on the graphs at http://bitcoin.sipa.be (Pieter Wuille's site

I had known about this site but never got around to bookmarking it.  Got it in my list now.
Thanks,
Sam
donator
Poor impulse control.
February 20, 2013, 07:19:06 PM
organofcorti,
I usually monitor the Network hash rate by using Bitcoin Watch.  They have a link on their page which leads to Bitcoin Charts.  These two sites have very different hash rate estimates and I had thought that they both got their estimates from the same place/method.

Bitcoin Charts says 34.683 Thash/s
Bitcoin Watch says 27.46

At this moment.

I was wondering which one was the most accurate, in your opinion, and/or if there were another estimate somewhere that may be a better source of Network hash rate?
Thanks,
Sam

Good question , Sam. I would use the "7 day window" line on the graphs at http://bitcoin.sipa.be (Pieter Wuille's site) - it's a far more useful estimation than those I've seen elsewhere, and it's how I judged the usefulness of the estimations I produce for myself (and which I might share one day if I can get around to figuring out how to autoupload my estimations to a website).

Based on the chart below (at the time I looked) the 7 day window estimate is ~ 30 000 Ghps. Because of the method Pieter uses, this is IMO a good estimate of the actual current hashrate of the network.

legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
February 20, 2013, 09:40:58 AM
organofcorti,
I usually monitor the Network hash rate by using Bitcoin Watch.  They have a link on their page which leads to Bitcoin Charts.  These two sites have very different hash rate estimates and I had thought that they both got their estimates from the same place/method.

Bitcoin Charts says 34.683 Thash/s
Bitcoin Watch says 27.46

At this moment.

I was wondering which one was the most accurate, in your opinion, and/or if there were another estimate somewhere that may be a better source of Network hash rate?
Thanks,
Sam
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
February 19, 2013, 06:10:10 AM
Thanks ooc great work as always Cheesy
just one small correction if I may
In other news, Ozcoin is back in the top five
cheers Cheesy
G

And I'm a bloody nong.

Fixed, here and on the blog. Sorry about that.

Kids, today's word of the day is nong!

Always trying to change my diction  Cheesy

Stop being such a drongo, DrG.

Word of the DAY, not hour.

Wonder why OzCoin is pickup up speed? I moved there after lady luck gave me the boot at BTCG
donator
Poor impulse control.
February 19, 2013, 06:07:20 AM
cheers Cheesy
G

And I'm a bloody nong.

Stop being such a drongo, DrG.
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
February 19, 2013, 05:07:18 AM
cheers Cheesy
G

And I'm a bloody nong.

donator
Poor impulse control.
February 19, 2013, 04:41:12 AM
cheers Cheesy
G

And I'm a bloody nong.

vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
February 19, 2013, 03:54:17 AM
cheers Cheesy
G
donator
Poor impulse control.
February 19, 2013, 12:27:09 AM
Great reporting as usual Smiley

Sent a donation your way in appreciation for all your work.

Thank you very much!
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
February 19, 2013, 12:12:10 AM
Great reporting as usual Smiley

Sent a donation your way in appreciation for all your work.
donator
Poor impulse control.
February 18, 2013, 10:36:31 PM
17th February 2013 weekly pool and network statistics

Welcome, miners.

Two interesting happenings this week:

There are as yet no confirmed reports of Avalon ASIC hashers apart from the two known ones.

In other news, Ozcoin is back in the top five and look set to overtake Deepbit if current trends continue, both slush's pool and DeepBit continue to be pool hopped,  and Coinotron's webpage was down today.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/02/17th-february-2013-weekly-pool-and.html

donator
Poor impulse control.
February 18, 2013, 10:32:04 PM
I'll post the update tonight - sorry, been busy and didn't realise I hadn't done copypasta from the blog.
donator
Poor impulse control.
February 18, 2013, 10:29:04 PM
Vroom.. dont make  BTCGuild wait for bragging rights Smiley

If our luck doesn't pick up soon we're still not going to show up on top next week Sad!

Nah, at 7.5 Thps even if you have really crap luck you'll be above 5 Thps on the charts. In this context, "really crap" means a one in one billion level of crap luck for the week.

I know, just exaggerating Smiley.

I thought it was a humblebrag Wink
legendary
Activity: 1750
February 18, 2013, 10:07:24 PM
Vroom.. dont make  BTCGuild wait for bragging rights Smiley

If our luck doesn't pick up soon we're still not going to show up on top next week Sad!

Nah, at 7.5 Thps even if you have really crap luck you'll be above 5 Thps on the charts. In this context, "really crap" means a one in one billion level of crap luck for the week.

I know, just exaggerating Smiley.
Pages:
Jump to: