Pages:
Author

Topic: What about a REAL Bitcoin community? - page 2. (Read 3013 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 23, 2011, 02:30:28 AM
https://www.costco.com/Common/Login.aspx?topnav=&whse=BC&ReturnUrl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.costco.com%2fBrowse%2fShoppingList.aspx%3ftopnav%3d%26whse%3dBC%26lang%3den-US&lang=en-US
An above ground 5000 gallon water tank, and about 10 ounces of silver for purification in the tank [keeps it from growing bacteria within it], filter the water when it comes out anyways - and boil it.

Just give me one of these and a river, and I'll forego the 5,000 gallon water tank. She could leave the straw at home, too.

legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
November 23, 2011, 02:09:06 AM
https://www.costco.com/Common/Login.aspx?topnav=&whse=BC&ReturnUrl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.costco.com%2fBrowse%2fShoppingList.aspx%3ftopnav%3d%26whse%3dBC%26lang%3den-US&lang=en-US
An above ground 5000 gallon water tank, and about 10 ounces of silver for purification in the tank [keeps it from growing bacteria within it], filter the water when it comes out anyways - and boil it.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
November 23, 2011, 02:07:56 AM

yes i'm one of these people.
legendary
November 23, 2011, 02:00:13 AM
I've considered this multiple times. Woodland around here is only 900 dollars or so per acre, the trees can be cut and converted into basic houses, the rest for firewood, simple network and VOIP for out-of-camp communication, food can be raised pretty easily once the woods are removed, in the mean-time, could survive via MREs/similar products and in tents for a while, until area is cleared. Taxes would be a reason for money, so we would have to sell off some of our produced products [food/whatever].
1. Register Bitcoin as a religion.
2. Say taxes are against scripture.
3. Huh?
4. PROFIT
Was thinking that, but then the govt would raid us as a religious cult.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
November 23, 2011, 01:56:50 AM
I've considered this multiple times. Woodland around here is only 900 dollars or so per acre, the trees can be cut and converted into basic houses, the rest for firewood, simple network and VOIP for out-of-camp communication, food can be raised pretty easily once the woods are removed, in the mean-time, could survive via MREs/similar products and in tents for a while, until area is cleared. Taxes would be a reason for money, so we would have to sell off some of our produced products [food/whatever].
1. Register Bitcoin as a religion.
2. Say taxes are against scripture.
3. Huh?
4. PROFIT
legendary
November 23, 2011, 01:52:16 AM
legendary
Merit: 1001
November 23, 2011, 01:43:17 AM
I'm turning 18 in about 9 months, and I'll be moving away. Someone make this community within 9 months so that I can live there!
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
November 23, 2011, 01:25:49 AM
I pledge to live and sustain myself in a dedicated Bitcoin community, if one is made and if the love of my life doesn't become a permanent fixture and prevent me from doing so.

Maybe she's an impermanent fixture.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
November 23, 2011, 01:23:47 AM
I pledge to live and sustain myself in a dedicated Bitcoin community, if one is made and if the love of my life doesn't become a permanent fixture and prevent me from doing so.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
November 23, 2011, 01:19:17 AM
Here's a crazy thought I had.

So, I'm sure there are probably 1 or 2 extreme diehards lurking around here that will be seriously intrigued by what I'm about to say.  For everyone else, consider it a fun thought I had the pleasure of entertaining for the past few minutes.

I would estimate that there are a fairly large amount of people on this forum that all meet the following critera:  

1.)  They check Bitcoin everyday or almost every day  
2.)  They are invested in Bitcoin both financially and emotionally
3.)  They genuinely believe Bitcoin is an improvement upon traditional currency and believe it would be good for society
4.)  They are generally good and honest people

Additionally, I would add that these members likely have a wide variety of talents and abilities as a group.

So, how about all the people on this forum who meet these criteria liquidate all of their assets, collect their money, join together, and build their own community from scratch.  The cash from their "real world" lives could be used to establish rudimentary housing and infrastructure.  Then, Bitcoin would be used exclusively within this community.  Community members would work to collect food, keep the community area clean, sell basic products/services, etc.

While the community will (naturally) have a law prohibiting the use of fiat currency (punishable by stoning), there will be an exception in the case of paying the electric bill.  How else ya gonna mine?

If you ever wanted to see the price of Bitcoin increase, this would be chance of a lifetime!  With Bitcoin being the only legal means of acquiring goods and services, Bitcoin would be practically virtually (get it?) priceless!

Er...but what about the exchange rate?

You mean...no more fun on the exchanges?  No more rally cries while dawning donning viking hats and blowing kazoos, the smell of titanium in the air?

Now I'm all confused.  A community without Gox Live?  Fuck it.
Pages:
Jump to: