Pages:
Author

Topic: What are some movies you watched that changed the way you view the society? - page 2. (Read 2189 times)

copper member
Activity: 924
Merit: 1007
hee-ho.
I don't think there's any movie that can change the way I view the society because I already have very low opinion of it since I don't know when.

I'll be sure to try watching "The Grave of the Fireflies" and "They Live", thought. who knows what will I think of society after that.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
Definitely book and movie Les Miserables.
The film opened my eyes, that in our society nothing has changed in the last 200 years, and that the capitalists continue to exploit ordinary workers, that the rich are becoming richer and the poor getting poorer, with no hope of ever changing.
Society is still selfish and does not care for ordinary, little people.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
Yesterday I watched a animation movie called " The grave of the fireflies" that changed the way I looked at the society and myself.
It's one of the saddest films I've ever seen, deeply moving. You may find that all Miyazaki's work affects you in a similar way, he is a  true master of his craft. I highly recommend exposing yourself to more of his stuff.

Thank you, can you recommend  any other of his works?
Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away are my favorites. The first two in particular. You should also watch Akira at some point, if you haven't already.

legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
The first film that comes to my mind is the Atlas Shrugged (Part-1 and Part-2, the 3rd part was not up to the mark). Changed my perception about the society, especially that on taxes, government, employment.etc.

Could only afford to see part 1 because of the limited release hoity-toity theater prices, but it practically seemed like a documentary of present day. I was already a libertarian before seeing it, but moved closer to an-cap.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Yesterday I watched a animation movie called " The grave of the fireflies" that changed the way I looked at the society and myself. It was nonetheless a great eye opener to me. It is a story about how humanity is supposed to be and shows how humanity can fail instead of always seeing how humanity truimphs in many other movies. Truly an astounding movie from a semi autobiography by Akiyuki Nosaka . I will suggest everyone to watch this movie that will change the way you think. This movie after seeing will resonate through you and touch the society in a a more humane way than we did before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH9KclV4Tj0

An interview with the author whose semi auto biography was made into an animation.

Interview originally from the June 1987 issue of Animage. Excerpt taken from the English translation published in Animerica Vol. 2, No. 11, 1994.
My sister's death is an exact match with the novel. It was one week after the end of the war. At the countryside of Fukui prefecture where I was, it was the day the restrictions on lighting were removed. It must have been the 22nd. It was evening, and I was picking up my sister's bones. I was coming home in a daze when I saw the village lit up. There was nothing like my surprise then. My sister died in my side of the world, and the light was coming back in the other.
Honestly speaking, there was also relief that she died and my burden was gone. No one would wake me up in the night like she did with her crying, and I wouldn't have to wander around with a child on my back any more. I'm very sorry to say this about my sister, but I did have those feelings too. That's why I haven't gone back to my novel (Grave of the Fireflies, published in 1967) to re-read it, since I hate that. It's so hypocritical. It must be absolutely true that Seita must have thought of his sister as a burden too. He must have thought that he could have escaped better if it weren't for her.
There are many things that I just couldn't get myself to write into the story. During composition, the older brother got increasingly transformed into a better human being. I was trying to compensate for everything I couldn't do myself. I always thought I wanted to perform these generous acts in my head, but I couldn't do so. I always thought I wouldn't eat and would give the food to my little sister, but when I actually had the piece of food in my hand, I was hungry after all, so I'd eat it. And there was nothing like the deliciousness of eating in a situation like that. And the pain that followed was just as big. I'd think there is no one more hopeless in the world than me. I didn't put anything about this in the novel.

Any other movie that you think will change the way we look at the society?

The grave of the fireflies is one of my favorite movie ever, I will give link to  the review from Roger Ebert, a prominent pulitzer prize winner for criticism stated it as the greatest war movie of the time,

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-grave-of-the-fireflies-1988

legendary
Activity: 1090
Foreign films give you something to think about. Nothing like a look into another society or culture to give you perspective on your own.

Some Hindi movies are great. Slumdog Millionaire, Fire, Water, are examples.

Brazilian movie called "Central Station" stuck in my mind.
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1128
Yesterday I watched a animation movie called " The grave of the fireflies" that changed the way I looked at the society and myself.
It's one of the saddest films I've ever seen, deeply moving. You may find that all Miyazaki's work affects you in a similar way, he is a  true master of his craft. I highly recommend exposing yourself to more of his stuff.

Thank you, can you recommend  any other of his works?
Activity: 784
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
Activity: 223
THEY LIVE

Just a few years after i was born and i have to agree when i watched and understood this a few years ago it did open my eyes to the major control that the shadow government have over us all from before that film to this day. Another film that changed the way i look at society is a film called 'eyes wide shut' secret society doing some weird and wonderful things. There are some great minds who try to wake people up threw the movie because the movies are partly where people are put to sleep. These films never make it big though for obvious reasons.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
The first film that comes to my mind is the Atlas Shrugged (Part-1 and Part-2, the 3rd part was not up to the mark). Changed my perception about the society, especially that on taxes, government, employment.etc.

legendary
Activity: 1540
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0 - Hidden secrets of money

Easily the one that woke me up to what an absolute scam our current economy is and the way paper currency constantly screws us out of our time.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
First "out of the Matrix" experience I had from a movie was from the Zeitgeist series by Peter Joseph; much of it is great, the economic philosophy complete garbage however.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
The grave of the fireflies is one of the best films I also have ever seen regardless of being an anmation, It would have costed them so much to make a live action movie that time and it was a wise choice to make it an animation.

Pursuit of Happyness is also a very motivational movie about how through hardwork you can come up in society.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Wag the dog and Idiocracy Smiley.
Activity: 138
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Probably the coolest movie for me that was a critique of today's society was the Matrix.  I didn't really understand the concepts too well when I first saw it.  It was more of a cool action movie to me.  But the second time I watched it, years later, I was really impressed with it.

The mainstream being heavily conditioned to believe whatever the authority/governing body puts forth, vs the smaller group of more conscious/aware people that see through the illusion.

I don't think I did a very good job of explaining anything, but I'm sure you've all seen the movie, and if you haven't, go watch it Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1274
After watching Deadly Deception almost 20 years ago I have still never purchased a General Electric product.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
If you want to have a historical perspective on the present middle eastern situation and where it grew from, check out "The Power of Nightmares" on youtube. It seems bland at first but you'll get plenty of perspective as it goes on.
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1128
Yesterday I watched a animation movie called " The grave of the fireflies" that changed the way I looked at the society and myself. It was nonetheless a great eye opener to me. It is a story about how humanity is supposed to be and shows how humanity can fail instead of always seeing how humanity truimphs in many other movies. Truly an astounding movie from a semi autobiography by Akiyuki Nosaka . I will suggest everyone to watch this movie that will change the way you think. This movie after seeing will resonate through you and touch the society in a a more humane way than we did before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_5M46JJvQ

An interview with the author whose semi auto biography was made into an animation.

Interview originally from the June 1987 issue of Animage. Excerpt taken from the English translation published in Animerica Vol. 2, No. 11, 1994.
My sister's death is an exact match with the novel. It was one week after the end of the war. At the countryside of Fukui prefecture where I was, it was the day the restrictions on lighting were removed. It must have been the 22nd. It was evening, and I was picking up my sister's bones. I was coming home in a daze when I saw the village lit up. There was nothing like my surprise then. My sister died in my side of the world, and the light was coming back in the other.
Honestly speaking, there was also relief that she died and my burden was gone. No one would wake me up in the night like she did with her crying, and I wouldn't have to wander around with a child on my back any more. I'm very sorry to say this about my sister, but I did have those feelings too. That's why I haven't gone back to my novel (Grave of the Fireflies, published in 1967) to re-read it, since I hate that. It's so hypocritical. It must be absolutely true that Seita must have thought of his sister as a burden too. He must have thought that he could have escaped better if it weren't for her.
There are many things that I just couldn't get myself to write into the story. During composition, the older brother got increasingly transformed into a better human being. I was trying to compensate for everything I couldn't do myself. I always thought I wanted to perform these generous acts in my head, but I couldn't do so. I always thought I wouldn't eat and would give the food to my little sister, but when I actually had the piece of food in my hand, I was hungry after all, so I'd eat it. And there was nothing like the deliciousness of eating in a situation like that. And the pain that followed was just as big. I'd think there is no one more hopeless in the world than me. I didn't put anything about this in the novel.

Any other movie that you think will change the way we look at the society?
Pages:
Jump to: