Pages:
Author

Topic: What are your thoughts on the Bitcoin Debit Card? - page 2. (Read 3264 times)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100
But Xapo I don't think is the solution..

The way I think works.. is transaction happens in Fiat at the POS... XAPO just takes the exact amount plus a fee from your bitcoin bag.

The Bitcoins only travel between XAPO and the Bitcoiner. Not through the Merchant.. I believe and correct me if I am wrong.

So this is not a solution at all. For Bitcoin to spread its wings, the coins need to flow through The Merchant, The POS AND The bitcoiner or bitcoiner-ette.

In Xapo's case, the merchant never sees the coins.. so what is the point?

The point is you get to spend your at a place where they won't normally take btc. Most businesses aren't going to accept Bitcoins based on the fact that it's new, unregulated and the creator is unknown.
Activity: 210
Merit: 101
But Xapo I don't think is the solution..

The way I think works.. is transaction happens in Fiat at the POS... XAPO just takes the exact amount plus a fee from your bitcoin bag.

The Bitcoins only travel between XAPO and the Bitcoiner. Not through the Merchant.. I believe and correct me if I am wrong.

So this is not a solution at all. For Bitcoin to spread its wings, the coins need to flow through The Merchant, The POS AND The bitcoiner or bitcoiner-ette.

In Xapo's case, the merchant never sees the coins.. so what is the point?
Activity: 210
Merit: 101
Not a fan of implementing debit cards that accept bitcoin.  Undecided

Why not? Why wouldn't Bitcoin adopt all forms AND create new ones too.
makes no sense to create a layer of "trust" in a trustless system ! ---> how about simply print out a paper wallet?...*plastic cards are like for credit cards and food stamps (~enemys of bitcoin) :-D haaa

I can't see Bitcoin taking off  if people have to print out a paper wallet just to buy groceries and buy gas.  Grin Cheesy Wink
Huh

Please share, personally I think this is what can jumpstart mass adoption.

They suck.

Can you elaborate?

It defeats the purpose of bitcoin, which is to not fall into the same traps that debit cards started: an economy based on debt.

What!?

A debit card is the total opposite, with a debit card you can only spend what's tied to that account. If I only have 1 btc on my Bitcoin Debit Card. I can only spend that 1 btc and nothing else. What you are referring to is a Credit Card, where a bank lends you electronic money.
Activity: 353
Merit: 250
Zichain
What ? a Physical real Bitcoin Debit card ? Shocked Can you link me to that please , how to get one
https://xapo.com/

Do you get the card to your house or what ? I registered and all but I don't see when I can order it Shocked
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Huh

They suck.

Can you elaborate?

It defeats the purpose of bitcoin, which is to not fall into the same traps that debit cards started: an economy based on debt.
I think, you misunderstand the term debit card. Debit Card means you load money on it before you can pay with it. Credit card means, you can pay without actually having the money.
You can't have a negative balance on a debit card, so there is no debt.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
makes no sense to create a layer of "trust" in a trustless system ! ---> how about simply print out a paper wallet?...*plastic cards are like for credit cards and food stamps (~enemys of bitcoin) :-D haaa
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
Huh

They suck.

Can you elaborate?

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
I just read about a group putting out 1 Bitcoin Wallets .com as a project, Tied to 1 Bitcoin Bank .com

Chartered out of Caymans they say. They want to have a legit bank to convert wires into a minimum 1 bitcoin wallet that may be tired to a bank card too from what I read. BTC is still in it's infancy and the Net needs a digital currency IMO for gambling and adult stuff and even drugs if you are into it. So the dark side of human vice will fuel BTC financial development and Caymans is the last haven for dark currency.

Activity: 129
If your someone with a lot of bitcoins then yes it seems like a good idea.
What ? a Physical real Bitcoin Debit card ? Shocked Can you link me to that please , how to get one
https://xapo.com/
Activity: 353
Merit: 250
Zichain
An actual plastic card?

I guess it would be handy on areas or whole countries or small stores.

But with NFC payments coming everywhere there will be no need.

The bolded may be true but the average American doesn't even know what NFC is lol

NFC payments are great ... as long as it doesn't involve a phone. I really don't want to lose the equivalent of my wallet when I lose or break my phone. I destroy many phones a year. I just broke one last week in a minor motorcycle accident.

Putting everything on your phone -> single point of failure.
No, it is not, if you just make a backup.
Bitcoins are never on a device, they are still on the blockchain and you need a private key to access them. You can backup a private key, so I don't see any problem there.
(I wonder, why someone who is a Hero Member, just don't understand that simple principal.)
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
If it's anonymous, I could enjoy one. But it has to be like a real debit card, I mean usable everywhere in the world. You'll load it with BTC and it will debit local fiat currency if you shop at a place which doesn't accept BTC.
I'll pay 0.05 BTC to get one. Maybe more if it comes with more services.
Huh

They suck.

Can you elaborate?
Activity: 182
Merit: 123
"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"
single point of failure.

we will exploit all those points, until the pool is dried and move to the next one. The locust group is undefeatable. Or make peace, or you will discover what bear foot running barbarians mean.
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
An actual plastic card?

I guess it would be handy on areas or whole countries or small stores.

But with NFC payments coming everywhere there will be no need.

The bolded may be true but the average American doesn't even know what NFC is lol

NFC payments are great ... as long as it doesn't involve a phone. I really don't want to lose the equivalent of my wallet when I lose or break my phone. I destroy many phones a year. I just broke one last week in a minor motorcycle accident.

Putting everything on your phone -> single point of failure.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

It might be a step back but businesses aren't going to implement a whole new payment system for just one currency when swiping a Card is 10 times easier and currently implemented.

Exactly right Smiley

We are talking about those small sized shops that won't update their systems because they cannot afford them. A plastic bitcoin card would be way to bring bitcoin to them.

I think the bitcoin debit card is fully loaded with bitcoin. When going to stores who are not implementing bitcoin payment terminals, you swipe the bitcoin debt card and the card issuers immediately convert the bitcoin from the balance of the card to fiat then debt to the merchants' account. It may be tipping point to get bitcoin adopted by masses.

Exactly my thoughts, plastic and paper is real for the masses, not O's and 1's Grin
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
Huh

They suck.
Pages:
Jump to: