Pages:
Author

Topic: What can we do to stop redundant full quotes? - page 2. (Read 507 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1565
The first decentralized crypto betting platform
Redundant full quotes are usually used by poor posters. You are never going to see the top merited posters using those quotes, unless they make sense. Om the contrary, if you go to the spam megathreads you will see lots of those quotes.

I think if one is interested in improving, one will learn. That's what I did, I was using full quotes at first and when I saw the good posters using short quotes I learned how to do them by myself.

I don't know if some measures will help people who are not interested, there was already a thread explaining how to quote properly on the forum some time ago, published here on meta and those who use redundant full quotes didn't pay attention to it.

Maybe measures that don't depend on users' will, as DooMAD suggests, will be more effective.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
Is there a way to auto-prune the number of nested quotes to maybe 2 or 3 deep?  I can't see many valid reasons why anyone would need to nest 4 or more.  I made a post on my phone earlier today, where it actually takes quite a bit of effort to manually select parts of the text and trim it down to just the relevant sections I actually wanted to talk about, but I still made that effort so as not to waste space.  

From my recent-ish posts, for example, I went 3-deep with this post, but I suppose that's excusable because they're just short lines.  It's something I try to be mindful of, though.

If someone does use excessive nesting of quotes, is that 'Report to moderator' territory?  Or would that be overkill?
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1174
There are threads where a single quoted post takes up half a page. Maybe using this thread to show some creations of people who still don't understand what they're doing would change something? I can understand newbies and juniors doing it, but legendaries should know better. Why would anyone quote 4 or 5 previous posts? What is the reason? Deleting this could be too much additional work for staff but maybe campaign managers could treat these posts as unfit for payment. I'm sure it would be a wake up call for some higher ranks. This isn't the worst I've seen but not a bad example that includes a hero and a legendary.

Convincing people in a gambling place is not probably wrong, but a surely too it is not good. Because you're making a wrong move to a put your own self into a things that people have there own decisions to make than to convinced them.

Only way is let your friends know some worst experiences about people how they have lost everything if they continue gambling for winning the money and not playing and enjoying the best of the times from it. This might help them the seriousness of the cause and they may not be gambling that frequently if they understood it.
Letting know them about bad experiences is okay but they are adults and probably they can decide what is good what is not for themselves. I think, we should avoid talking about gambling with a person who has a potential about being a gambling addicted.
Therefore to avoid them becoming addicts we have to convince them that gambling is only for fun and joy not for profit
I am not sure they know what is bad and what is good, because many people are adults but still become addicts right?

Yes, I think the same as you because we see that once that person knows about gambling, there is a chance for him to become addicting in gambling and we don't have to convince them about the gambling especially to enjoy the gambling itself. Soon, they will know by themselves, and they will prove that playing gambling can attract them to become addicted. So convincing people to enjoy gambling is okay, but we need to tell him about the consequences and don't let them become addicting in gambling.

The word "enjoy" actually tells the main point of the discussion. Convincing others to enjoy gambling means we are telling them all about gambling, especially about the bad effect of gambling so they can enjoy gambling with no worries of the bad effect. As long as people are enjoying gambling, they should be ready to avoid the worst cases before they start. Without a doubt, the chance to get addicted is still big even if our main purpose is just for fun only. It is obviously depending on the individual, we may convince others to gamble for fun only but other people are free to choose.
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
This has been mentioned so many times, but it is still prolific, and it includes Heroes and Legendaries who really should know better.

There is no need to quote an opening post in full if you are replying in a thread, and nesting the quotes is even worse. The net result is that a reader will probably skip over your post, and not bother with your reply. This is certainly the case with me. I've even seen senior members just post the quote without adding a comment.

SMF has the option to remove nested quotes. Do you think it would be beneficial if this was implemented here?
Pages:
Jump to: