Pages:
Author

Topic: What economic sanctions will US impose on Russia - page 5. (Read 648 times)

Activity: 214
Merit: 1
Kamala Harris (US Vice President) making some statement on the Russia and Ukraine problem said US and her aligns will impose unprecedented economic sanction on Russia if they continue to evade or attack Ukraine. So I'm wondering what kind of unprecedented economic sanction can be given to Russia if they continue to evade Ukraine.
It is hard to impose sanctions on major powers. Just like America imposed tax on Huawei and that sanction made them independent. First they were dependent on android and this sanction taught them to make their own software. That was a company from a major power now it show us what a major power will do after sanctions.

So I'm wondering what kind of unprecedented economic sanction can be given to Russia if they continue to evade Ukraine.

There is a huge difference in what can and what is going to be done.
Most likely they will stick with technology access and investment and financial sanctions as well as probably a ban on some categories of goods for good.

Not much on paper but I will have to remind everyone, especially the guys that we're cheering how Huawei will piss on US sanctions that the king of 5G is selling his flagship smartphones without 5G as they are cut from that technology, and these are sanctions on a company, not a country.

I already know what people are going to say, but Russia will seek other trade partners, bla bla bla, they will replace the western trades with somebody else.
Yeah, they might try but the success will be limited, and it's simply because of the sizes of the economy, Russia if it will cut completely western trades they must import from other places, it's a 120 billion market which might sound tempting till you realize that just 3 countries like Thailand, Malezis and Brazil export that much to the US alone, not counting the EU. Will these risk throwing away 112 billion in exports in order to battle for a piece of a pie that is just 120 billion (for now as the ruble will most likely lose more value) in total? No.

So, with who are you going to trade, a block of countries with 28 trillion in GDP or a country with the economy size of the Netherlands alone?
The answer is pretty clear.

If the Russian petroleum products will stop to enter the remaining world then all of the businesses and vehicles will stop on roads because only Arabic petroleum cannot fulfill the needs of the world and the prices will multiple a dozen or more. There will be a shortage.

Use logic.
Russia needs to sell that oil or it will starve, they will try to sell it cheaper to partners that now buy Arabic oil like Asian countries, Europe will simply pay a bit more and Arabic countries will export the oil that was meant for Asia oil here. Oil is easy to transport, gas was and is the problem.

+1 for your research.

After reading this post I also agree that there will be a exchange in the trade agreements and and from your post I can imagine that yes Russia may face some difficulties.
At least America can stop them from any attack on Ukraine.
Activity: 907
Merit: 500
So I'm wondering what kind of unprecedented economic sanction can be given to Russia if they continue to evade Ukraine.

Most likely they will stick with technology access and investment and financial sanctions as well as probably a ban on some categories of goods for good.

Not much on paper but I will have to remind everyone, especially the guys that we're cheering how Huawei will piss on US sanctions that the king of 5G is selling his flagship smartphones without 5G as they are cut from that technology, and these are sanctions on a company, not a country.

I already know what people are going to say, but Russia will seek other trade partners, bla bla bla, they will replace the western trades with somebody else.
Yeah, they might try but the success will be limited, and it's simply because of the sizes of the economy, Russia if it will cut completely western trades they must import from other places, it's a 120 billion market which might sound tempting till you realize that just 3 countries like Thailand, Malezis and Brazil export that much to the US alone, not counting the EU. Will these risk throwing away 112 billion in exports in order to battle for a piece of a pie that is just 120 billion (for now as the ruble will most likely lose more value) in total? No.

So, with who are you going to trade, a block of countries with 28 trillion in GDP or a country with the economy size of the Netherlands alone?

If the Russian petroleum products will stop to enter the remaining world then all of the businesses and vehicles will stop on roads because only Arabic petroleum cannot fulfill the needs of the world and the prices will multiple a dozen or more. There will be a shortage.

Use logic.
Russia needs to sell that oil or it will starve, they will try to sell it cheaper to partners that now buy Arabic oil like Asian countries, Europe will simply pay a bit more and Arabic countries will export the oil that was meant for Asia oil here. Oil is easy to transport, gas was and is the problem.
After sanctions there will be very less countries remain with Russia because other countries will not want to get the anger of USA and the Arabic countries are unable alone to fill the needs of the whole world. There is a full pipeline spread to the whole Europe for natural gas what will they do if that line is cut off. Russia do not rely alone on petroleum but they have more source of income.

Just remember a few years ago when Russia denied to supply the aluminum to the remaining world then there was a huge shortage created. The car manufacturers were very disturbed and the price of cars spiked.

That is another product which the world need.

I am in the favor of peace and want that Russia do not attack on Ukraine but that is just a reality of the fact about this discussion which I want to clear.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1873
Crypto Swap Exchange
Let's be honest.  If Russia invades Ukraine and all the punishment they get for it is economic sanctions, it is like a warm welcome for Russia on Ukraine's territory.  Almost like I tell you that if you beat me up, I will go tell my mommy about it.  Who cares.

I think I have heard of sanctions multiple times every year in the past decades so it almost never seemed to be a success.  I also agree Ukraine versus Russia beef being the spark of World War III is a very slim, almost zero chance.  Expect Russia to get what they want and United States to be OK with the sanctions they impose.

stompix, I do get your idea and it is an interesting outlook.  But does it not mean that limiting Russia's economical abilities and movements this much will only make them more threatening and hungry for territories and power?  Because at the end of the day, when the wolves get hungry, they go hunt their prey.

-
Regards,
PrivacyG
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun

Use logic.
Activity: 907
Merit: 500
They will impose economic sanctions on them and will ask their allies to end their trade and business with Russia but what will European and the whole world do without the Russian petroleum products? If the Russian petroleum products will stop to enter the remaining world then all of the businesses and vehicles will stop on roads because only Arabic petroleum cannot fulfill the needs of the world and the prices will multiple a dozen or more. There will be a shortage.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
There isn't much to impose, and this is just the US flexing its muscles to Russia in an event of an invasion. They are not going to do anything, and if they did, it might send us ever closer to WW3. The US may restrict some imports to Russia, but the latter can just easily buy from someone else and the sanction is useless. Whatever type of sanction that is, Russia wouldn't flinch that's for sure. If there's a country Russia fears, it's certainly not the US because they know that the US will not do anything rash or serious.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 121
Kamala Harris (US Vice President) making some statement on the Russia and Ukraine problem said US and her aligns will impose unprecedented economic sanction on Russia if they continue to evade or attack Ukraine. So I'm wondering what kind of unprecedented economic sanction can be given to Russia if they continue to evade Ukraine.
Pages:
Jump to: