Pages:
Author

Topic: What features of Bitcoin would you never give up? - page 2. (Read 3666 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
fast, transactions do not need to be verifying the data and so forth so that it becomes easy.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
The features I would never give up are :

1 - Irreversible transactions.
2 - 21 million coin cap.
3 - The decentral aspect of Bitcoin.

These are the most important things I would never want to see go away from Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
The Bitcoin limit and the decentralisation is definitely two of the most important properties that would make Bitcoin prosper. With a limited market cap, no one can change it and create another million of coins suddenly. At least without the entire network agreeing to it. If it is removed, it would just be like the banks who print out money whenever they want. Decentralisation allows the network to function without a central point of failure, governments would not be able to censor it as it can function via tor and there are thousands of nodes on the internet.
legendary
Activity: 1227
I'm surprised at the few people that consider mining important... I have yet to see an alternative to PoW that has been as successful in securing a blockchain as the Bitcoin mining system has...

Does someone have any evidence of PoS or other systems working well?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
I would remove Fungibility, bitcoin is the antithesis of fungibility.

How so?

Every bitcoin is worth the same.

Not to humans.

I certainly wouldn't want to pay the spot price of bitcoin per coin if they were from a exchange hack or theft/scam.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
I have heard that to transfer money from one country to another one it takes days to be completed.
And also the fees of the transfer is large enough.
So i would never give up the fees of the bitcoin Smiley it is just few cents and it does it job perfectly.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010
In Satoshi I Trust
These features:

It doesn’t matter how much money lobbyists give, the laws that corrupt politicians pass, or how many big companies work to eliminate Bitcoin. It’s not going anywhere and there is nothing anyone can do about that. Bitcoin connects the world financially just like the internet did.

The internet brought people online and Bitcoin is bringing money online.
Activity: 714
All the features mentioned in voting list are necessary.21 million supply,fast transactions and decentralization are the best available features at the moment.Which make Bitcoin more attractive and usable and valuable than other traditional existing options.
Activity: 728
I gave vote for these 5 features what I like the most.Bitcoin as a whole is innovation and adorable.Decentralization and fast sending features made my life easy to send and receive funds form anywhere to everywhere.
Decentralisation
Permissionless    
Pseudonymous    
Fast    
Irreversible
legendary
This might also help:
http://cryptovoter.org/
legendary
So 37/46 (80%) voters think the 21m coin limit is fundamental. 74% believe BTC should remain decentralised.

It's important to make this stuff clear both for current developers and for future ones who might not have such a clear idea of what the community wants.
Activity: 533
if bitcoin were to change or be replaced, i would never give up features like decentralization, Pseudonymous, and the speed of the transactions.
the only thing that i wish to see change, is the time it takes for transactions to get confirmation.

Exactly, decentralization, speed of transaction and minimum fees are the best advantages associated with bitcoins which no other currency can offer, and the best thing is now we don't have to use credit cards for making online purchases nor we are dependent on WU for transferring funds across the globe as the fees charged by WU is too high and bitcoins makes it very simple  Smiley
Activity: 252
Merit: 250

There is if it has a mark on it...

looks like this to me:

but i get your point: even money has serial numbers. but you can still use it in any store without problems.

as i said: in the end it boils down to what lawyers think and how they handle it.
but in this case i have a choice. anon coins dont have serialnumber attached to them.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
i am too lazy to search right now, but i remember a case with the bitstamp hack (long time ago though).

obv if its only a small percentage there is nothing to fear, and mixers help. but that requires a fee which means the coins are a little worth less than "clean" ones.

the question you should ask yourself is: if someone offers you to sell you bitcoins from the mtgox hack/theft (directly; not mixed) would you buy them for the exact same amount? if not why not?
if bitcoin would really be fungilby you wouldnt even know where there are from.

i dont say its a big problem (because of mixers), but sadly bitcoins arent fungible on its own.

in the end it boils down to what lawyers think. if they see stolen bitcoins can be tracked (like a car): would they try to enforce to get you to pay them back or not? we dont know that yet.

Do you buy stolen gold for market value?

That does not mean gold is not fungible.

What you are talking about is how to provide evidence of a crime and the ability to do so, tracking coins on the blockchain can be easy if there are few transactions between where they sit and where they were stolen.

Melting gold also adds costs to the operation, if the gold is stolen, gold still fungible.

there is no way for me to know which gold is stolen and which isnt.
thats what i call fungible.

There is if it has a mark on it...

i am too lazy to search right now, but i remember a case with the bitstamp hack (long time ago though).

obv if its only a small percentage there is nothing to fear, and mixers help. but that requires a fee which means the coins are a little worth less than "clean" ones.

the question you should ask yourself is: if someone offers you to sell you bitcoins from the mtgox hack/theft (directly; not mixed) would you buy them for the exact same amount? if not why not?

i dont say its a big problem (because of mixers), but sadly bitcoins arent fungible on its own.

in the end it boils down to what lawyers think. if they see stolen bitcoins can be tracked (like a car): would they try to enforce to get you to pay them back or not? we dont know that yet.

What you are talking about is how to provide evidence of a crime and the ability to do so, tracking coins on the blockchain can be easy if there are few transactions between where they sit and where they were stolen.

Melting gold also adds costs to the operation, if the gold is stolen, gold still fungible.

there is no way for me to know which gold is stolen and which isnt.
thats what i call fungible.
legendary

How so?

sadly no:
through blockchain analysis its possible to see which coins where stolen.
would you buy them for the same price?

as soon as you put them in an exchange you account will get locked...

(thats the only reason i think coins like xmr have a chance in the future)

Have you ever made an analysis of your bitcoins or the bitcoins you have received from an exchange or any other service?

You'll probably will find a small percentage can be traced to the bicoinica hack, or some other hack and yet you're still free.

Can you show an example where what you claimed has actually happened?

legendary

How so?

sadly no:

Have you ever made an analysis of your bitcoins or the bitcoins you have received from an exchange or any other service?

You'll probably will find a small percentage can be traced to the bicoinica hack, or some other hack and yet you're still free.

Can you show an example where what you claimed has actually happened?

How so?

sadly no:

legendary

How so?

Maybe his dictionary has been tampered with. If there's no fungibility then there isn't much else either.

I know some people pay higher than market value for "freshly" mined bitcoins, bitcoins without a transaction history, but because of this saying bitcoins are not fungible is a big stretch...
Pages:
Jump to: