Pages:
Author

Topic: What features of Bitcoin would you never give up? - page 3. (Read 3668 times)

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
I would remove Fungibility, bitcoin is the antithesis of fungibility.

How so?

Every bitcoin is worth the same.

Maybe his dictionary has been tampered with. If there's no fungibility then there isn't much else either.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

How so?

Every bitcoin is worth the same.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
It would be an interesting poll if it were reversed. What would you be happiest to give up?

It would be PoW for me. If there was a way for Bitcoin to operate without mining I think that would clear up a lot of problems and distortions. There ain't so I'm not going to sweat it.
Activity: 337
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
almost everything you mentioned except proof of work, it may be developed a better method to secure the network and proof of work can be phased out, I guess.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
What I would never give up it the fact the chain is leading, no more obscurity in coins/money and making it out of thin air only to profit the banks. One coin is one coin, never more never less. We should be aware that storing coins in exchanges and with other companies like xapo will again bring forth more coins than there actualy are. If I store my coins on an exchange, they can use my coins to do whatever they like. Spend it somewhere else and still claim that I have those coins in my deposit account. It is the banks all over again. Back to the stoneage for the economic revolution...  Angry

This^^
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137
if bitcoin were to change or be replaced, i would never give up features like decentralization, Pseudonymous, and the speed of the transactions.
the only thing that i wish to see change, is the time it takes for transactions to get confirmation.
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
I voted for the 21 million limit and the Pow. Being part of something "limited" and the ability to get Bitcoins off from mining was what took me first in.
legendary
Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000
Let's imagine that all the Bitcoin devs were arrested by a tyrannical government or bought by an evil mega-corp and forced to change a fundamental aspect of Bitcoin.

Open source doesn't work like that. The code is OSS and anyone is able to modify it and fork it. Current developers (be it Core, XT or whatever) have no more control of it than anyone else. In the end it's always the network that decides. The control is decentralized and collective.

Only way that some goverment could have it's way is if majority of network accepted it or stubbornly kept running a client that is under govt. control. But at any time they would be free to choose otherwise.

You are right of course... the point of this exercise is to determine what features users consider fundamental to Bitcoin's nature. If that is clear enough, it could prevent forks that endanger those features. Or in the case of technical issues where outcomes are more uncertain, it tells developers what user priorities are.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
Wouldn't give up any of those listed, but I think the most important ones are the 21 million coin limit, Decentralisation, Pseudonymous, Mining (PoW) and Irreversible. i think these are the 5 pillars I can stand out between the list.
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
Decentralization > Pseudonymous > 21m Coin Limit > Permissionless > Fast

How much activity do you have to have to be able to vote in polls?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
I only see five things that are fundamental aspects of Bitcoin and you really can't give any of them up and still have Bitcoin. You could give up a couple and have any number of the current alts so I don't really see the point of this exercise.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks
Quite concerning that one of the principal property of a money-like commodity, fungibility, isn't valued more.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
The fact that i never need to worry if my bitcoin would be limited like Paypal, this feature would me never give up.
staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
The 21 million coin limit is an obvious thing , if there was a unlimited number the coin will have no value at all , same goes for the Block reward thing . Now for what comes to the features there is Decentralization , Pseudonymous so I don't have to deal with services like PayPal crap and get limited and the need of sending my documents and even buy VCC or VBA to get another account instead same goes for Irreversible Credit cards and PayPal are shitty and you also have to watch your accounts in case you traded with are retarded who have some Social engineering skills .

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
I think it would not be cool if they messed with the coin limit in any way, it just feels like Bitcoin would lose a big chunk of it's identity if they changed it.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
Trustless....  Wink

Plus all the others mentioned  Grin
Activity: 854
Merit: 658
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
I would not give up anything that is with bitcoin currently, I think besides technical details like the block size that everything else should stay the same.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
tough choice my brother but my top 3 would be:

-21mio cap
-Decentralisation
-Pseudonymous
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
decentralization, which mean also pseudoanon, i doubt in any centralization system you can have a anonymous system
Pages:
Jump to: