Pages:
Author

Topic: What Is A Social Justice Warrior (SJW)? - page 4. (Read 43299 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon

Grin

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Mizzou's enrollment plummet is more drastic than previously projected

This fall could mark the smallest class of incoming freshmen at the University of Missouri-Columbia in nearly a decade as the school continues to lose students, partly because of last fall's protests.

The university on Wednesday announced the amount of students paying freshman tuition deposits — a key indicator of coming enrollment — has decreased by 1,470 compared to last year.

It's a nearly 600 fewer students than what was projected in February, when the university was estimating 900 fewer incoming freshmen.

What it means is that Mizzou could have a freshman class of fewer than 5,000 students for the first time since 2007.

In contrast, the university enrolled 7,600 freshmen last fall. That number includes second-year students who did not complete enough credits to qualify as sophomores.

University administrators note that they've been expecting a drop-off for some time, as there are fewer high school students in the pipeline.

But last's fall's protests have also played a part.

“As we've been talking to prospective students and parents, we've been told the events of last fall have played a role in their decision-making process,” spokesman Christian Basi said.

School administrators have said they are seeing less interest from out-of-state students, and recruiters are hearing more concerns from students in the Chicago area, in particular.

Barbara Rupp, the university's director of admissions has said there's potential to lose students from rural areas, given how polarizing last fall's protests were.

The enrollment woes are just some of the problems Mizzou has faced since the campus found itself in the national spotlight late last year as students protested a series of racist incidents, eventually toppling the university's top leadership.

State lawmakers threatened to cut Mizzou's funding and donors rescinded roughly $2 million in pledged donations.

But Basi is adamant that the university is fundamentally healthy.

“Since November, our researchers have been awarded $50 million in grants,” he said. “And donors have given gifts exceeding $65 million, also since November.”

Even so, Basi said the university will be looking for possible tweaks to recruiting strategies with an eye toward the fall of 2017 class.

In particular, recruiters will expand to different parts of Chicago, Dallas and other cities, while working more closely with high school counselors to counter any stigma associated with Mizzou, he said.

In particular, Mizzou is battling a perception that its campus is unsafe.

“The events of last fall were nonviolent. We had no episodes of violence. And any threats were immediately acted upon,” Basi said. He added that Mizzou's police department has been protected from budget cuts, and the department is in the process of adding more officers.

“The perception out there is different from what a student would experience on campus,” Basi said. “The biggest thing is for students and parents is to come visit us and see what we have to offer.”

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/mizzou-s-enrollment-plummet-is-more-drastic-than-previously-projected/article_b938838c-6858-5bdf-b220-f1bfd29a21d2.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Grin Cheesy Grin

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
Activity: 676
Merit: 500
How did Social Justice Warriors (SJW) gain such influence in the US?
legendary
Activity: 1819
Merit: 5547
Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser
Fatties full of rage.

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
People are just looking for a reason to be offended by anything they can find.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
DENYING ME A BIG MAC IS HATE!
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Protestors go crazy during The Triggering event at UMass

This is what a SJW looks like...

Grin

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

^ Yep!

Smiley

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
What Is A Social Justice Warrior (SJW)?

Kinda like the sludge in your car engine.

Cool

Are you saying driving a Tesla Model X is kinda like annihilating sjw from the fabric of existence?

Smiley

No. I am saying that we should drive cars that have two-cycle engines so that there wouldn't be any sludge buildup.

Cool

Smiley

Come on!  You just made that picture, didn't you?    Cheesy
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Cool

Are you saying driving a Tesla Model X is kinda like annihilating sjw from the fabric of existence?

Smiley

No. I am saying that we should drive cars that have two-cycle engines so that there wouldn't be any sludge buildup.

Cool

Smiley

legendary

Cool

Smiley

Cool
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Cool

Smiley

legendary

Cool
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Protestors go crazy during The Triggering event at UMass

This is what a SJW looks like...

Grin

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Insane in the brain

Cheesy

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
I would assume UTC receives public funding. Doesn't supporting or rallying against people in a run for public office with an organization that receives public funding violate election laws?

Laws are violated only if the people in charge of the laws say it is the case. Until then, this cancer will keep spreading...

I don't know if you think you are telling me something I don't know or what... but regardless this can be used to put pressure on schools trying to prohibit what amounts to purely political speech. One things schools respond quickly to is liability, much more than PC issues. IMO this should be looked into.

When I reply I understand the context that a lot of people are reading the conversation. I knew you knew this obviously.

https://www.thefire.org/

Pages:
Jump to: