Pages:
Author

Topic: What is the difference between a "coin" and "token"? - page 3. (Read 8160 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 0
The main similarity of all coins lies in the fact that each of them has its own independent blockchain, where transactions occur. Creating tokens is a simpler process. Do not need to borrow codes from a specific protocol or create own blockchain. All you need to do is follow the standard blockchain platforms, for example, usage of the Ethereum platform, which allows you to create your own tokens
Activity: 462
Merit: 112
I think the coin and token are likely the same because they are consider as a investment and there is nothing comes to my mind that they are different because they are the same in all things.
Activity: 213
All coins and tokens are cryptocurrency.
Altcoin
Alternative coins / altcoin / coins are an alternative to Bitcoin. The majority of altcoin is a fork variant of Bitcoin, using the Bitcoin open source protocol with coding changes to create new coin types with different features.
Examples of altcoin which are variants of Bitcoin coding are Namecoin, Peercoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin and Auroracoin.
There are also other altcoins that are not derived from the open source protocol Bitcoin. Instead, the coins were created using new blockchains and protocols. Examples for this coin include: Ethereum, Ripple, Omni, NXT, Waves and Counterparty. Altcoin this type has its own blockchain that records the transaction process of the coin.

Token
Token is a representation of asset ownership, which generally uses other existing blockchain technologies. It can be said token is any form of tradable assets, for example: commodities, data, point rewards, currency, and others.

Conclusion

The main difference between altcoin and token is the structure; altcoin is a currency that uses its own blockchain platform, while the token operates using another blockchain that can facilitate the smart contract.
Activity: 280
Merit: 10
I've heard of some companies offering tokens instead of coins, is this the same thing?

COin is he main coin with its network like eth while token is the coin created under the network like ten x pay is token, it is created in eth network or blockchain, Most ICOs use eth token , there are some use etc , and waves. Most ICos now use eth network because the developers may prefer eth to make smart contract deployed
Thanks for the knowledge you shared. Although I was involved in the crypto market, but for me this knowledge is very necessary. I will tell many of my friends to they understand the difference between coin and token
Activity: 454
Merit: 100
No, it is not the same thing. Coins are much more valuable than tokens, because they have much more feature and capabilities. Tokens are really limited within the company that gave them. Don`t be foul and never exchange coins for tokens.
Activity: 166
Merit: 4
to me the difference a coin and a token a coin is what the manager of a bounty award during the bounty campiagn while coin is what the team of a bounty pays to someone wallet address after they have converted the token to a coin then they it to the individuals that participated in the bounty.
Activity: 938
Merit: 503
👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc
Normally token are referred to the Etherium smart contracts and Coins are basically the currency like bitcoins, litecoins. You can say if it runs on block chain type platform, it is refereed as a coin which on etherum platform it is referred as a token. Most people used these terms inter-changeably without worrying about the definition difference of both of them
Activity: 280
Merit: 1
Always thought that the coin and to coin the words are synonyms. In any case, in everyday communication.
Activity: 224
Merit: 6
The revolutionary trading ecosystem
Tokens are the same coins but they are not officially registered, that is, there are no prices on them, and they are not on the stock exchange...as soon as the price appears on the stock exchange and is assigned, it is no longer tokens...now it's coin.

Yes, it is the same not officially registered and both are not found on the stock exchange. However if tokens will be assigned with value in stock exchange then this is the time they count as coins for traders investment used to make money when exchange successfully.
Activity: 1260
I've heard of some companies offering tokens instead of coins, is this the same thing?

Tokens are running on the coin network. For example any ERC20 tokens are operates on the Ethereum network.
You need ETH as a gas to transfer ERC20 tokens on that network. Same as other coin, it has some token.
Tokens are usually used for fund rising on ICO.
Activity: 2520
Merit: 214
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

Tokens is what we called before this been released to exchanges ,this is usually what youve got if you invested in ICO projects or if you join the signature bounties or any campaign related to ico.

While Coin is what we use from trading and being hold forlong term investments
Activity: 67
Tokens are the same coins but they are not officially registered, that is, there are no prices on them, and they are not on the stock exchange...as soon as the price appears on the stock exchange and is assigned, it is no longer tokens...now it's coin.
Activity: 2408
Merit: 202
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

base on my knowledge and researching the difference between coins and token hoping can with you
ALTCOIN simply call for short coin an alternative for bitcoin they have created by blockchain
TOKEN are tradable for the commodities to the other cryptocurrency
but for my own understanding both are usable for the cryptocurency trading using blockchain
Activity: 581
Merit: 108

In the world of crypto I think coin and token are usually used interchangeably but I honestly think they are different...

A token is whats offered when a project is holding a token sale as some sort of proof of transaction and when this token sale is over it qualifies to be could a coin as it now has a monetary value Roll Eyes
Activity: 448
Any coin has its own blockchain - this is their difference from tokens. Tokens act over of the blockchain, and it facilitates the creation of decentralized applications. Coins can carry value as physical money, while tokens can be used to solve tasks in the blockchain.
Activity: 689
Merit: 102
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but why this terminological casuistry and play with words? For ordinary consumers this is an equivalent concept, is not it? Speaking of the cryptocurrency - we mean a token, saying a token - we mean cryptocurrency. After reading the topic, I certainly now understand the difference, but if someone tells me the "token of the ether," I'll understand what I'm talking about and will not correct it.
Activity: 378
Merit: 103

coin is a tool that can be used as a medium of exchange and more considered as currency. while tokens are made to meet the needs of a particular market or group and individual.
Activity: 364
Coin is a virtual currency in several countries can be used as a means of transaction or delivery as well as fiat currency in general.
The purpose of a coin is to act like money: as an account unit, store value and transfer media. Coins tend to take the form of original blockchain tokens such as bitcoin (BTC), Litecoin (LTC), and so on, although they are not necessary. Where token Blockchain does have value, but they can not be considered money in the same way as a straight coin.

tokens is a medium of exchange, but generally more focused on a project. in addition, Token is one type of evidence of asset ownership that generally uses other existing blockchain technologies. These tokens are created in order to meet certain types of market instruments, or can also be called a single business. Token can be said as any form of tradable assets, such as data, currency, commodity, point reward and so on.
Activity: 490
It's very simple, I think that now many understand what a token is and a coin, a token is an entity that is created on the basis of an existing platform, let it be ETH or NEO, but it does not have its own block, and the coin has its own block.
Activity: 261
Merit: 2
Coins in cryptocurrency which operates independently any other platform.e.g litecoin,bitcoin whereas token is also a cryptocurrency which requires the another plateform e.g Neo,Waves .Coins are  based on their own blockchain But tokens are built on existing blockchain.
Pages:
Jump to: