Pages:
Author

Topic: What is the logical explaination for a single 5k buy causing 10 dollar slippage? - page 2. (Read 2074 times)

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000
Web Developer
Manipulating the market medium-long term provides enough gains to allow for such losses, or, fat fingers.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Please explain #2 for me. What is $10.00 slippage? Trying to learn.

Basically that first coin of his buy order was at price $10 lower than last coin of his buy order.
Activity: 350
Please explain #2 for me. What is $10.00 slippage? Trying to learn.
sunday golfer on phone with broker: "its below 100?  Great, buy!"

Seriously, you guys read way too much into these things.  We've now got whales who don't understand the market depth issuing instructions to people who earn their $ as a percent of price*volume traded, not by profit.  Whale says "buy", broker buys and takes his cut.  Yes, a "clever" buying scheme could save the whale some $, but potentially at the cost of the broker (if he is unable to buy the full volume with careful bidding).

Buy is not unusual, I am asking abut this particular buy + wall size of the buy thing.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010
sunday golfer on phone with broker: "its below 100?  Great, buy!"

Seriously, you guys read way too much into these things.  We've now got whales who don't understand the market depth issuing instructions to people who earn their $ as a percent of price*volume traded, not by profit.  Whale says "buy", broker buys and takes his cut.  Yes, a "clever" buying scheme could save the whale some $, but potentially at the cost of the broker (if he is unable to buy the full volume with careful bidding).

On June 10th following events happened in few minutes:

0. 16k buy wall appears at 95
1. Less than a minute after there was one 400BTC buy which brought us from 95 to 99
2. Another 5k buy that had 10USD slippage.
3. Straight after price reached 110, A 4k bid wall at 110 was put and eaten, and price went down to around 106. (or less, I don't remember)

This all happened in a very, very short period of time. What could be the motivation of such thing happening?

Assuming it was same person who executed the buys, or at least the 5k buy, did this guy put the wall at 110 to assure trend reversal? This is quite a price to pay, as 110 has not been reached since then. I assume if the wall was not put we would go up to 110 and then crumble right back down, as gox 503'd at that time. So... what could it be? Just trying to learn.
Pages:
Jump to: