Pages:
Author

Topic: What is your most hated feature in computer games? - page 2. (Read 1136 times)

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
You want the truth? What I hate in a game is the lack of support. Take note from Crytek's actions. They destroyed Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 BY NOT FIXING the obvious bugs.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
So I'm studying some brilliant books on C++ programming and really enjoying it because now I can look at code and make proper sense of half the stuff I was thinking that when I put my code into action and make a real game that isn't just interactive graphics what are the things that people most hate that I should keep out? There are some really obvious ones but I wouldn't be surprised if I missed some that other people truly despise having in their games. My most hated feature so far in a game hasn't been unskippable cutscenes or not being able to while combat happens ( even though those are pretty fucking awful those can be easily fixed by a competent programmer and good game design) but infinitely looping RPG statistics or A.I cheating and I'll explain what I mean for those who wouldn't understand what I mean by this.

So for RPG statistics, I'm talking about things like experience points, health points, all that good stuff, now when these kind of things go up quickly and they don't have a limit of 100000 then it can actually make games fairly entertaining, but lately I've seen games developers abusing the shit out of these statistics even in singleplayer games because it's much more easier to add several 0's onto a statistics than it is to make a nicely crafted game scenario for a player to go through. Yes, I understand why they've done something like this, no I don't see the fucking point in it, it's abysmal and it drives me insane, I'm sure you've seen it yourselves but MMORPGs in particular abuse the shit out of statistics and all game developers are doing is dragging it out as long as possible in a desperate effort to keep the player in the game. They've gone from trying to make games entertaining and interesting to interact with to just being absolutely tedious, the worst part is, this kind of thinking is infesting other genres as well! You've got all these shooters now instead of making at least half-decent scripted scenarios to just adding thousands of perks or slightly different game models RPG statistics vomited all over them.

Then comes the A.I cheating, we all know humanity's A.I isn't that advanced yet, it can't even recognise speech very well never mind command an army properly, but lately I've gotten pissed off with another form of lazy coding known as letting A.I spawn free troops that all have better statistics than yours. Yes, I'm talking about an RTS, more specifically Shogun 2, I'm aware that this tends to happen badly on hard difficulty but this is happening even on 'easy' mode! I remember playing the original Halo and all they did was give the enemy twice as much health and you half that. What the geniuses at creative assembly have done though is because they don't want certain clans winning they give other clans entire stacks of very powerful units so they'll give the Takeda a bunch of later game units and the Uesegi as well or they'll compensate for the A.I stupidity by giving them huge armies to play with leaving you the player with a tiny amount of troops and the only option of getting steamrolled by them because of course they've taken away the skill element of the gameplay since Rome Total War and replaced it with statistics instead. I just had a situation where I was playing with a smaller force against a much bigger force that my enemy had amassed unfairly despite having only one province ( which would mean he would have to cheat to get as many troops as he did ) and despite this I managed to ambush him from a forest by luring him. By all accounts, I should have at least been able to decimate is forces slightly but instead what happened despite taking the enemy completely by surprise with my entire force engaging a couple of unsupported units my troops just went up and ran away! The fuck? If that were a real battle they would have at least had a good portion of those units hacked away before they could do anything.

Game Dev: Hey boss! We realised something, our players keep chewing through our content like no tomorrow
Boss: What? At this rate we'll actually have to start being creative again in order to keep our jobs!
Game Dev: What should we do? They got through our last game in just a couple of hours
Boss: Add more zeros
Game Dev: Zeroes?
Boss: Yes, if we add more zeroes that should slow them down enough and stop them getting through everything so fast until we make our next game
Game Dev: Great idea! Maybe we could add even more zeroes on the next game too so it lasts even longer!
Boss: Excellent! Get it done!

Anyway, bit of a long rant I know, but let me know what other hates you have in computer games so I don't repeat the same mistakes other game developers have Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: