Pages:
Author

Topic: What to do with my GPUs when ASIC arrives? - page 2. (Read 8729 times)

Activity: 752
Merit: 500
bitcoin hodler
September 03, 2012, 03:12:05 PM

1. There is no MiniRig that does 40Ghash/s. It's called SC Single.
2. Your 40Ghash/s will be worth not much once the difficulty goes up so don't get too excited about mining with it.

sorry for the wrong name of the product. I meant SC single of course. I'm counting on the difficulty to go up by 15-20x, who knows, maybe more. It will still be profitable though. I'm just trying to make a point that lot of people write bad things about BFL, but it's a lot of baseless accusations.

I just came to bitcoin couple months ago and I really like the idea and I want to get a piece of the cake with the mining evolution that's going on right now...
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
September 03, 2012, 02:31:20 PM
Well this means nothing. Maybe they were ppl who bought enuff bitcoin with dollars to buy the ASIC, for them it doesn't matter if a btc is worth 5 or 10$

Yes, buying them at 5 and waiting until they are at 10 and then buying the ASIC is a good idea but it's called speculation. You would need a crystal ball to see the future to do that reliably  Cheesy

speculation: these things will perform 10-20% of their advertised speeds, 40% will break within 4 months of receiving them. My e-peen will be the largest on the forum by the time this comes around Smiley

I can't wait for the time when my mini rig comes and I will mine with 40 Ghash/s and you will be left with your few petty GPUs, I can't wait to see your e-peen then Cheesy. Anyway, I don't like that people are baselessly accusing BFL of scam. Let's just wait and see who is right in the end...

1. There is no MiniRig that does 40Ghash/s. It's called SC Single.
2. Your 40Ghash/s will be worth not much once the difficulty goes up so don't get too excited about mining with it.
Activity: 518
Manateeeeeeees
September 03, 2012, 01:31:02 PM
Oh nice the forum has an ignore feature!

Goodbye, VeeMiner.
Activity: 752
bitcoin hodler
September 03, 2012, 01:25:19 PM
Well this means nothing. Maybe they were ppl who bought enuff bitcoin with dollars to buy the ASIC, for them it doesn't matter if a btc is worth 5 or 10$

Yes, buying them at 5 and waiting until they are at 10 and then buying the ASIC is a good idea but it's called speculation. You would need a crystal ball to see the future to do that reliably  Cheesy

speculation: these things will perform 10-20% of their advertised speeds, 40% will break within 4 months of receiving them. My e-peen will be the largest on the forum by the time this comes around Smiley

I can't wait for the time when my mini rig comes and I will mine with 40 Ghash/s and you will be left with your few petty GPUs, I can't wait to see your e-peen then Cheesy. Anyway, I don't like that people are baselessly accusing BFL of scam. Let's just wait and see who is right in the end...
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
You could give it to me Grin
Go for science dude, Try for BOINC >> https://boinc.berkeley.edu/
Use them for science!

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/

That is one project that runs very well on ATI cards!
Milkyway@home is part of it. Cheers Smiley
Activity: 295
why did I think of mountains of gold when I saw that ?
ugh, to bad cost still bigger then profit ...

Anny way, keep mining join a pool and be happy you have gpu's and not fpga's  Grin

I'd rather have FPGA's because I'm an electrical engineer and leftover (unprofitable) FPGA hardware can just become some compute-heavy hardware for some projects  Smiley
Activity: 182
Merit: 100

why did I think of mountains of gold when I saw that ?
ugh, to bad cost still bigger then profit ...

Anny way, keep mining join a pool and be happy you have gpu's and not fpga's  Grin

Activity: 270
1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc
Hey guys, as the title says:
What should I do with my GPUs when ASIC arrives?
And I want to make money, I already have contributed enough to Folding@Home.

Cheers

You should join our pool, and you'll be able to profitably mine with your GPU after ASICs hit!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-coinlab-protected-pool-99643
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
sell them and leave 1 for gaming Grin
Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

Yes, buying them at 5 and waiting until they are at 10 and then buying the ASIC is a good idea but it's called speculation. You would need a crystal ball to see the future to do that reliably  Cheesy

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

or sell them..... if this goes tits up and I have to wait 52 days to make 2 BTC instead of 24 hours...  I'll stop mining.....

I feel for all you guys that pre ordered these ASIC's with the BTC valued at what 6 bucks?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Use them for science!

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/

That is one project that runs very well on ATI cards!
^ depends how quickly this all happens..... From reading around seems like BFL should have these chips to start assembly in October..... after months of testing they'll start shipping their 30% of advertised speeds units....

I heard all this from the alien that abducted me last night...
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
You can continue to mine until they arrive..... Unless you're paying tons for power.... Send them to me... i am paying nothing for power on my rigs... 50/50 split on the profits Cheesy

Depends on difficulty.   Someone with free electricity even would be wasting their time mining on a CPU.

If difficulty gets to 100 Thash/s (from let's say $3.2 million worth of purchases of SC mini rigs) then a 0.7 Ghash/s 5970 will mine about 0.025 BTC per day (after the block reward drop to 25 BTC).  Thats just a little over a quarter dollar per day per 5970, or about $8 per month.

If I had to bet though, at this exchange rate GPUs will make the effort worthwhile for a few months yet.
You can continue to mine until they arrive..... Unless you're paying tons for power.... Send them to me... i am paying nothing for power on my rigs... 50/50 split on the profits Cheesy
Activity: 295
Activity: 467
When/if BFL delivers on the ASIC within the ballpark of stated specs, one will not be able to give away 5800 series GPU. Gamers will not want them (2 generations old, and the 8000 series is coming up(?)). The market will be flooded with them, as miners try to sell them off.

<...>

One can pick up a new XFX 7970 at Newegg for 429.99 w/ free shipping at this point (there is a HIS model that comes to 399.99 after rebate!), yet somehow people are sill buying them on EBAY for more.  Cheesy

Just my .0002 BTC on how I am protecting my investment during this uncertain time.

Precisely. Smart.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
If you live somewhere where it gets gold, mine in the winter and turn them off for the summer.  Just treat them as electric heaters that happen to pay you a few pennies a day.

Tell me more about using gpus to make gold.

Lol... I meant cold.  But, yeah, coinabul.
Activity: 756
Keep mining BTC because BFL's claims are inflated to the point of incredulity.  Largecoin's estimates are way more in the ballpark what you should expect given current ASIC technology.  While ASICs will surely change the field it is not going to be an overnight game changer.

Where is largecoin's website?
Pages:
Jump to: