Pages:
Author

Topic: What to do with my GPUs when ASIC arrives? - page 3. (Read 8729 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
If you live somewhere where it gets gold, mine in the winter and turn them off for the summer.  Just treat them as electric heaters that happen to pay you a few pennies a day.

Tell me more about using gpus to make gold.

Check out the link in my sig.  I have been making Silver with my GPU for months now. Smiley
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Some ideas :
- Mine Litecoin, at current price it's more profitable to mine Litecoin and sell it to get bitcoin rather than mining bitcoin directly
- Keep mining until it's not profitable then sell it to get ASIC device
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
I am selling (sold) the vast majority of my 5800 series GPU, and replacing them with 7000 series GPU.

Why?

One can get rid of 5800 series quite easily now, (Ebay, first round, $145-180 for the 5870's. Some bought at my buy it now at $180 almost immediately).

When/if BFL delivers on the ASIC within the ballpark of stated specs, one will not be able to give away 5800 series GPU.

Gamers will not want them (2 generations old, and the 8000 series is coming up(?)). The market will be flooded with them, as miners try to sell them off.

When I get ready ready to switch over, I will have no problem selling 7000 series GPU to gamers.

One can pick up a new XFX 7970 at Newegg for 429.99 w/ free shipping at this point (there is a HIS model that comes to 399.99 after rebate!), yet somehow people are sill buying them on EBAY for more.  Cheesy

Yes, I lose a bit of hashing power, (2x 5870 ~ 800-840 MH, 1x 7970 ~ 650-700 MH, on the other hand I was able to pick up my first 7970 for $325  Smiley) but I will be able to more easily recoup my cost when the bottom falls out of the GPU mining market.

Just my .0002 BTC on how I am protecting my investment during this uncertain time.

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
If you live somewhere where it gets gold, mine in the winter and turn them off for the summer.  Just treat them as electric heaters that happen to pay you a few pennies a day.

Tell me more about using gpus to make gold.
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
just mine until it's unprofitable which should be a while yet.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Activity: 62
Keep mining BTC because BFL's claims are inflated to the point of incredulity.  Largecoin's estimates are way more in the ballpark what you should expect given current ASIC technology.  While ASICs will surely change the field it is not going to be an overnight game changer.

Activity: 456
Merit: 250
sell them!
Activity: 697
Merit: 500
I believe some people have switched over to litecoin mining. I myself will have to find something profitable to do with all these GPUs if the difficulty makes them unprofitable.
Activity: 81
Hey guys, as the title says:
What should I do with my GPUs when ASIC arrives?
And I want to make money, I already have contributed enough to Folding@Home.

Cheers
Pages:
Jump to: