Pages:
Author

Topic: What will happen to bitcoin in our wallet when we die - page 3. (Read 3407 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Some really great points being made in this thread and i appreciate the OP for creating it.
This is a topic that needs to be out there discussed, since everyone will have to deal with death eventually.

This subject got me thinking....wouldnt it be nice if you could purchase life insurance payable in bitcoin?

If im able to short term plan for my own death, i will liquidate all my fiat into BTC in an effort to minimize greedy banker fees or taxes being sucked away in my families time of sadness.

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
I have a list of important passwords stored away in a safe for when I die.  This includes my coinbase account.   I will add my multibit password to the list too.  Thanks for bringing this up.
Well, by telling this thing. You've just revealed your secret, so when you die someone will discover your treasure. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
If we are having bank account with our name on that, and suddenly we die, what happens to our bank account then? Here's a guide to help you figure out where the money from a bank account goes after death so that you can make an informed decision about what you want to do in http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mybanktracker/what-happens-to-your-bank_b_4860213.html

And then, what will happen to our bitcoin when we die?

People that don't store their passwords for their loved-ones to find if they die, will have their Bitcoins vanished. They will allways be in the blockchain, yet never spendable. You reminded me to explain it to my wife (again) Encryption isnt really her thing Grin

The good thing about Bitcoins vanishing if no one else can ever access them is they simply shrink the total supply and therefore make existing Bitcoins more valuable, since those "vanished" Bitcoins are effectively the same as forever-holders.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006
Actually having bitcoin is better than bank account in case of death. With bank account your family would have to go through formalities and bank can even snatch some part of your money.
With bitcoin everything is simple. If you trust your family and want them to have your bitcoin after your death you just share bitcoin wallet password with them. If not... well your coins die with you.

The problem is everyone thinks he can trust, lets say, his own wife. The reality shows that wifes not seldom leave and often enough the poor man left behind did not have a clue about what is going on. Not every person is smart enough to see the little hints that show that something will change or show the true character.

Trusting might mean losing your coins at lifetime.

Only saying... Reality is risky Roll Eyes
Activity: 812
Merit: 509
And this proves that you cant be your own bank.
legendary
Activity: 1315
Merit: 1002
Nobody is going to profitt from my death. Cold storage forever....

Theoretically if everyone who owns btc would do that what are you suggesting, the whole concept of btc environment would fall, there would be no trades, no buying, no selling, so nothing at all. Currencies are meant to go from one hand to another hand.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
Actually having bitcoin is better than bank account in case of death. With bank account your family would have to go through formalities and bank can even snatch some part of your money.
With bitcoin everything is simple. If you trust your family and want them to have your bitcoin after your death you just share bitcoin wallet password with them. If not... well your coins die with you.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Nobody is going to profitt from my death. Cold storage forever....
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006
If we are having bank account with our name on that, and suddenly we die, what happens to our bank account then? Here's a guide to help you figure out where the money from a bank account goes after death so that you can make an informed decision about what you want to do in http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mybanktracker/what-happens-to-your-bank_b_4860213.html

It's completely up to you. You need to make sure that your coins are safe and reach the destination they should. So there are different ways to reach that. Simply think a bit about it and you might get some ideas.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1125
think bitcoin like as your precious treasure ; you must back up your private keys in the stronghold ; after your death your children will got them..
Then how your children know about bitcoin?

What will happen to your fiat when you die? If you tell your relatives or friends about all your wealth, they can get it. If not, it is probably lost. Same way, if you don't tell about your Bitcoins to another person, it is probably lost. If not, there is a chance for recovery. The difference between fiat stored in banks and Bitcoins stored in your wallet is that your close relatives can take your fiat money legally but to recover Bitcoins stored in an encrypted wallet/device, you need to tell the password to them or they will have to proceed with a brute-force attack.
Thats why introducing bitcoin to people around us is important. Its okay if we only have few bucks in our wallet, but what if there are thousands bucks or above then.
Activity: 84
Nothing happens to those coins stored in your wallet, unless someone spends those coins.
You should tell your family members about the password(if you have any) and also teach them how to use Bitcoin.
I've written all my passwords of all my wallets and my btc accounts in a diary(the retro way).  Cool
Activity: 210
Merit: 101
“Create Your Decentralized Life”
I have a list of important passwords stored away in a safe for when I die.  This includes my coinbase account.   I will add my multibit password to the list too.  Thanks for bringing this up.
Same thing here....

If you leave no instruction on how to retrieve your coins in your will, they die when you die.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032
All I know is that I know nothing.

we should all make our wills and put our cold wallet passwords and private keys inside it just in case something happened so that all that money wont be lost
Activity: 194
The bitcoin is then free to roam the web and frolic in the forums as nature intended
copper member
Activity: 2968
Merit: 574
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
If your loved ones have access to your coins or at least you let them know how to access your wallet or something that will help them to get hold of your coins, you coins will be passed on them after your death.

But if they can access your wallet or has no idea about your coins, they probably going to be lost forever. Smiley
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
If it's a brain wallet you can take it with you  Tongue
Activity: 926
Merit: 1001
weaving spiders come not here
what will happen to our bitcoin when we die?

You make plans and arrangements before you die as to who they go to.

Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
What will happen to your fiat when you die? If you tell your relatives or friends about all your wealth, they can get it. If not, it is probably lost. Same way, if you don't tell about your Bitcoins to another person, it is probably lost. If not, there is a chance for recovery. The difference between fiat stored in banks and Bitcoins stored in your wallet is that your close relatives can take your fiat money legally but to recover Bitcoins stored in an encrypted wallet/device, you need to tell the password to them or they will have to proceed with a brute-force attack.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
i have wrote down all my password of different sites and of my wallet and if i suddenly die all that will go to my brother...ᓏᓏᓏ

Well a good idea, if you have 2FA then you should say to him to not sell you phone immediately because of the information on it.
Activity: 117
My bitcoins will go in the bitbucket. I don't have much anyway. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: