Pages:
Author

Topic: What will happen to bitcoin in our wallet when we die - page 4. (Read 3407 times)

copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
If we are having bank account with our name on that, and suddenly we die, what happens to our bank account then? Here's a guide to help you figure out where the money from a bank account goes after death so that you can make an informed decision about what you want to do in http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mybanktracker/what-happens-to-your-bank_b_4860213.html

And then, what will happen to our bitcoin when we die?

All my btc and ltc is in paper wallets and in a safety deposit box at my local bank. (Yeah I'm a bag holder)

My brother who lives locally is also on the card to open the safety deposit box should
I get hit by a truck or some such. Also I keep a book of all my passwords etc in there and my house purchase info etc and other important
docs in case my house burns down when away or some such.

Now that I've done all this what I suspect will happen in 30 years or so....is this:

I"ll be sitting in the old folks assisted living place by then......I will be informed that my bank was robbed and the safety deposit boxes were ransacked..and I will be like

'crap......millions come and millions go'.... Smiley

(its how my life rolls don't ya know) Smiley

anyway if the above happens or a meteorite takes out the bank it will just go to show the "asic miner gods" always hated me Smiley I also have the works sealed in a water proof pouch
in case the bank has fire issues or some such (sprinklers) Smiley Hopefully this should be paranoid enough..and yes these are my ONLY copies of the paper wallets nicely sealed etc

but again if the above paranoia is not enough well to heck with it .......fate just hates me at that point ....and I'll have proof Smiley

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
maybe you should leave a statement with the private keys but it would be hard to understand for someone that doesnt know even what bitcoin is
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
If we are having bank account with our name on that, and suddenly we die, what happens to our bank account then? Here's a guide to help you figure out where the money from a bank account goes after death so that you can make an informed decision about what you want to do in http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mybanktracker/what-happens-to-your-bank_b_4860213.html

If haven't thought before your die about your bitcoins they are lost. Or better remain deposited in your wallet in eternity. I don't know another way that those can be recovered except with the password of the wallet. So, good to know, put in a safe place all the kind of passwords and 2 factor auth of your wallet and inform about this your wife, your children or someone who you trust. Only in this way your bitcoins will be safe.
Activity: 303
Merit: 250
think bitcoin like as your precious treasure ; you must back up your private keys in the stronghold ; after your death your children will got them..
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
wallets that only the owner can access and no one else will make bitcoin even more rare as there will be less coins in circulation. but then the next question: what happens with the fiat and coins stored on exchanges when something happens with the account holder?
staff
Activity: 3472
Merit: 6129
Just like the money on our banks , it goes to my family . also why would anyone on earth care about anything if he is dead . they are free to enjoy the fiat / BTC however they want to .
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1125
To my wife yes, my children aren't born yet but yes when they are I will make sure they know what it is, there is no reason to raise fools and tell them like my parents told me to put my money in an account that loses 2% yearly while making 1% in interest.
only my family has access to my bitcoin at least those that are stored in a cold storage(of course with my permission), the other will be passprotected because inside my desktop, so at least the big portion will be retrieved
My Bitcoin would go to my wife and child when I die when the private keys will be giving to them from my safety deposit box. I have already showed her how to import private keys and she knows the encryption so she will be good to go. The bitcoins will live on lol
Glad to hear you have introduce bitcoin to your family. My parents can't understand about it and I dont have wife yet. I think its an important thing for us, which if something happen to us, no one cant reach our money in the wallet forever.

My bitcoins will be in secured wallets and not spendable. So they are stored forever and decreasing the amount in the circulation  Cheesy
What if you never spend your bitcoin and suddenly you wont have any chance again to using it?  Cheesy  Do you let it stay there forever or have you passed your password to someone you believe?
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
My bitcoins will be in secured wallets and not spendable. So they are stored forever and decreasing the amount in the circulation  Cheesy
Activity: 812
My Bitcoin would go to my wife and child when I die when the private keys will be giving to them from my safety deposit box. I have already showed her how to import private keys and she knows the encryption so she will be good to go. The bitcoins will live on lol
legendary
Activity: 938
BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

Just like the precious metals in my closet my children will open my trunk and go through my things, find ounces of silver and gold and paper wallets full of bitcoins that are hopefully worth more than the precious metals.
Then have you introduced bitcoin to your children? Smiley
To my wife yes, my children aren't born yet but yes when they are I will make sure they know what it is, there is no reason to raise fools and tell them like my parents told me to put my money in an account that loses 2% yearly while making 1% in interest.

Right, just like the advice just try to fit in.... Or get a high paying job, yeah that's gonna make the world better.... Fit in in a deeply sick and twisted system...
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
only my family has access to my bitcoin at least those that are stored in a cold storage(of course with my permission), the other will be passprotected because inside my desktop, so at least the big portion will be retrieved

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

Include the private keys in your will, and pass them to whoever you're handing down all your other money to.
legendary
I have a list of important passwords stored away in a safe for when I die.  This includes my coinbase account.   I will add my multibit password to the list too.  Thanks for bringing this up.
It would be useless if your passwords just be laid in your safe, non bitcoin user cant understand it  Smiley

People that don't store their passwords for their loved-ones to find if they die, will have their Bitcoins vanished. They will allways be in the blockchain, yet never spendable. You reminded me to explain it to my wife (again) Encryption isnt really her thing Grin
Atleast we have to mind this thing  Cheesy  I think you should make a 'procedure to how open your bitcoin wallet and use bitcoin' for her.  Smiley

Just like the precious metals in my closet my children will open my trunk and go through my things, find ounces of silver and gold and paper wallets full of bitcoins that are hopefully worth more than the precious metals.
Then have you introduced bitcoin to your children? Smiley
legendary
Activity: 938
BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

People that don't store their passwords for their loved-ones to find if they die, will have their Bitcoins vanished. They will allways be in the blockchain, yet never spendable. You reminded me to explain it to my wife (again) Encryption isnt really her thing Grin
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
I have a list of important passwords stored away in a safe for when I die.  This includes my coinbase account.   I will add my multibit password to the list too.  Thanks for bringing this up.
legendary

Pages:
Jump to: