Pages:
Author

Topic: What's the next big thing? - page 2. (Read 4034 times)

Activity: 152
Merit: 100
September 08, 2015, 05:02:25 AM
the next big thing is $1000 price of bitcoins! and i think everybody hope like that..
legendary
Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005
..like bright metal on a sullen ground.
September 07, 2015, 11:08:21 PM
The problem I see with Ethereum is its lacking of incentive. There are so many interesting technologies that no one cares about because of no incentive, such kind of technology would not direct benefit the participants, it must be driven by a centralized organization who have lots of resources to invest and make some products that can be accepted by market

For bitcoin the incentive for participants are very intuitive: You mine the coins and sell it for profit, you accept bitcoin payment thus make bitcoin more valuable

How could an average Joe to benefit from Ethereum? I think the Ethereum from its very establishing is just to prevent normal people from participating:

Average Joe might be interested for gambling, sports wagering, etc. Wait until Augur and other prediction markets come out before making a final judgement on utility.  Cryptos main benefit IMO has always been mainly due to its ability to bend currency laws, like Uber does with the taxi laws.  One of these decentralized systems will eventually be the Uber of sports wagering and it will be something to see.
Activity: 224
Spastic dead-eyed hound.
September 07, 2015, 10:20:18 PM

Other coins, don't have the same issues and present other features as well.

The real Bitcoin killer would be something that was hard coded from minute one to be globally scalable and actively awarded decentralisation with zero need for further meddling. Maybe it's in the works. Maybe it'll never arrive.

I think it has arrived tbh and it's name is monero. I was looking at the coding they use and the true anonymity of the coin it's self and it is amazing! Not to mention the community behind it. It continues to grow new users every day and steadily grows in value. It's coded already to have easier P2P transactions and will be continuing to mine easier than any other coin in the long run if it gains more traction. It allows people to choose if they want their payment key to be viewed which makes any person/business to remain very secure in their transactions. I'm still learning more about it, but that is my bet of which altcoin will "make it". That's not to say btc and xmr can't cooexists either. Btc provides easier transactions with faster transaction times, while xmr secures your investment/payments. Now the real question of what would really kill btc is which coin can make a simple, very fast transaction system so everyday normal people will be able to go to the grocery store and make as quick of a purchase as debit/credit cards. If that were to happen, and this block size war is still going on; btc will eventually go down.
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
September 07, 2015, 04:06:56 PM
BIP 100 is awful, if its adopted its the death of Bitcoin for me at least dump and buy Litecoin maybe?

But then if BIP100 gets adopted purely because of miner majority even if the userbase doesn't want it, it would actually highlight a major flaw in cryptocoins, namley that hash power would be able to force rule changes against its users, which is far more dangerous than a 51% attack, it basically means you can never trust in the rules of any coin anymore (so no, moving to litecoin isnt the answer), for they are no longer this stable set in stone neutral thing that was so attractive in the first place, but a thing that can change due to the will of a few.

I dont believe BIP 100 will be adopted simply because of hash majority, but if it is then Bitcoin is flawed and the next big thing would be a coin that has a voting mechanism that goes beyond just hashpower some way of seeing what nodes relate to what entity's so consensus on any update can be be gauged over a wider spectrum.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1002
September 07, 2015, 03:33:19 PM
I am sure that Bitcoin will not die. For sure that idea of cryptocurrency already got it`s name - Bitcoin!
This already open a lot of new ways and possibilities.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Move On !!!!!!
September 07, 2015, 03:25:25 PM
The problem I see with Ethereum is its lacking of incentive. There are so many interesting technologies that no one cares about because of no incentive, such kind of technology would not direct benefit the participants, it must be driven by a centralized organization who have lots of resources to invest and make some products that can be accepted by market

For bitcoin the incentive for participants are very intuitive: You mine the coins and sell it for profit, you accept bitcoin payment thus make bitcoin more valuable

How could an average Joe to benefit from Ethereum? I think the Ethereum from its very establishing is just to prevent normal people from participating:

"What Ethereum intends to provide is a blockchain with a built-in fully fledged Turing-complete programming language that can be used to create "contracts" that can be used to encode arbitrary state transition functions, allowing users to create any of the systems described above, as well as many others that we have not yet imagined, simply by writing up the logic in a few lines of code."

You need a doctor degree in computer science to understand what is the meaning of all these buzz. And still, the concept of "contracts" are not solid due to the fact that it need centralized authorities to enforce

After Ethereum Frontier, I think they are planning on making it a bit easier to use.

And this is very necessary. The Frontier is unusable unless you are a coder or a serious crypto user willing to learn. I have been looking in one of the clients of Ethereum at the moment, GETH, and after 2 days of messing around with it I have learned to first install it, then to create an account, check balance and send simple transaction.

Need I to say that I almost gave up few times. I see huge interest for Ethereum from the people around me, but this interest stops right away since nobody knows how to use it at the moment.
Activity: 784
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
September 07, 2015, 01:21:29 PM
Do you believe bitcoin is going to die?
Yes, but not in my lifetime.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
September 07, 2015, 11:42:01 AM
Many are forseeing the death of bitcoin. Do you believe bitcoin is going to die?
What are the possible substitutes for BTC? State your mind!

Next big things:

For example; bitcoins are highly suitable for:

• Online transactions
• Face-to-face mobile transactions
• Machine-to-machine transactions
• International remittances
• Secure savings
• Back-up

However, Bitcoin is much more than just "money". Bitcoin's network and technology (the "Blockchain") enables:

• Start-up innovation (an address is all you need, bank account optional)
• Autonomous Trading Entities / Decentralized Apps / Corporations (DAC:s)
• Proof-of-existence services (timestamping)
• Multi-signatory contracts, wills, insurance agreements
• Borderless value transfers
• Transparent governance
Activity: 196
September 07, 2015, 10:19:24 AM

"What Ethereum intends to provide is a blockchain with a built-in fully fledged Turing-complete programming language that can be used to create "contracts" that can be used to encode arbitrary state transition functions, allowing users to create any of the systems described above, as well as many others that we have not yet imagined, simply by writing up the logic in a few lines of code."

You need a doctor degree in computer science to understand what is the meaning of all these buzz. And still, the concept of "contracts" are not solid due to the fact that it need centralized authorities to enforce

After Ethereum Frontier, I think they are planning on making it a bit easier to use.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
September 07, 2015, 09:58:54 AM

Activity: 798
Move On !!!!!!
September 07, 2015, 09:31:39 AM
Many are forseeing the death of bitcoin. Do you believe bitcoin is going to die?
What are the possible substitutes for BTC? State your mind!

According to Satos... errr Nick Szabo it just might be ethereum:

Ethereum is definitely very interesting technology that should have a nice future if the developers develop everything that are promising. I see Ethereum and Bitcoin very much complementing themselves. They should both have great future.

But if people decide so, they can just ditch Bitcoin and use Ethereum as a currency. I don't see this happening though as long as both chains are robust and work as they supposed to. After all, Bitcoin has great security record going for itself, Ethereum still needs to prove itself.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014
September 07, 2015, 09:13:53 AM
Bitcoin still has to become the big thing imo.. It is not well known enough around the world yet, it will be the big thing when mass adoptation happens. Than you will cry for selling today..

So we hodl hard and accumulate more.
What happened to your Avatar? Where is the flexing Biceps?
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
September 07, 2015, 09:09:32 AM
Bitcoin still has to become the big thing imo.. It is not well known enough around the world yet, it will be the big thing when mass adoptation happens. Than you will cry for selling today..
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
September 07, 2015, 08:59:06 AM
I don't think bitcoin will ever die because there will be always buying and selling of bitcoin will be done forever and that will cause economy to run it forever :p you and we everyone is running it
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I can draw your avatar!
September 07, 2015, 04:19:51 AM
The next big thing is still to happen, the economic revolution, the next step to personal freedom that was set out when we were freed from the dogma's of religion, the industrial revolution, the digitial revolution, crypto currencies can make this happen and we are just at the start. The next big revolution after that will be in the way the governments control or govern us, people are getting more and more individual, it is a big guess what will set up this next revolution and how it shall revolutionize our world, but it will come, decentralisation of power over countries and people.

But let us focus on one thing at a time and finish this revolution of the economic world. We have still a long way to go.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
September 07, 2015, 12:49:15 AM
Bitcoin is the cat with 999 lives.  Wink ... It dies on shill blogs and news websites every day. I would not waste my time on worrying too much about it's replacement for now.

I regret this forum doesnt have a +1 like button, because you deserve one.
Of course there are shills sites and news articles that demonize it, thats how they get attention by saying controversial bullshit.
It's just a moronic journalist marketing tehnique, they dont mean it, but they always say bullshit just to get more audience.
Bitcoins is just now being really born.

since bitcoin market is not that big and can get manipulated easily, you can spot a lot these sorts of news on blogs and news websites and even on this forum especially on speculation section. they are just spreading FUD to try and push the market in their own favor to earn a quick buck.
Activity: 696
Merit: 258
September 06, 2015, 11:31:14 PM
Maidsafe, Storj, factom.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
September 06, 2015, 11:23:10 PM
I think the basic landscape of bitcoin is almost clear. Although there are other ideas like smart contract, colored coin, Ethereum etc... even so called 1 million of applications on blockchain, they all share similar problem: The infrastructure is not as sound/simple/time tested as bitcoin. So they have not reached mass adoption

The essence of bitcoin is an idea to transfer ownership on internet without middle man. Because money is the most interested target of ownership, bitcoin naturally becomes something that represents money
Activity: 854
Merit: 1009
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK
September 06, 2015, 05:49:12 AM
Bitcoin is the cat with 999 lives.  Wink ... It dies on shill blogs and news websites every day. I would not waste my time on worrying too much about it's replacement for now.

I regret this forum doesnt have a +1 like button, because you deserve one.

Of course there are shills sites and news articles that demonize it, thats how they get attention by saying controversial bullshit.

It's just a moronic journalist marketing tehnique, they dont mean it, but they always say bullshit just to get more audience.

Bitcoins is just now being really born.
Activity: 196
September 06, 2015, 05:30:03 AM
bitcoin is dead, use your BTC to buy ETH.

I use Ethereum to power my 3D printed, Ruby on Rails, pumpkin spice skinny latte startup. But you wouldn't have heard of it.
Pages:
Jump to: