Pages:
Author

Topic: When A Super Rich Person Buys A Yacht Do More Africans Suffer? - page 3. (Read 1740 times)

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
My buyings are too small to have a real impact so I guess I just don't think about this... but you have a point here.

That is just so not true.. If everybody thinks like this, and everybody keeps buying stuff that is produced by child labor, ofcourse there will be child labor.

If everybody decides not to buy certain stuff, the production of that stuff will change. But if you think like this, and I think like that and everybody else does, no change is ever possible.

Don't underestimate the power of the masses in these type of changes. They are the bulk of the consumers, not just the one rich guy who buys a yacht.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
It depends of the scale of moral conflict buying some products brings. If I new something was manufactured with blood of young children from Africa I would definitely won't touch it.
But if I know that there is not help to it, and I won't change anything by not buying something then I really don't care. Life is hard.
Activity: 399
Merit: 250
...does that imprison other people or does it depend on the product? How do we know what products are moral to buy?

Imprison them in what way? Are you implying that employees producing a certain product are prisoners because they voluntarily contracted with an employer to exchange their labor for wages?

Activity: 462
My buyings are too small to have a real impact so I guess I just don't think about this... but you have a point here.

So you think. But your buyings are probably the same as the average American, and they're always 4 times too much.

But let's face the truth, even if you would want to take care of others and be careful about the moral aspect and all... How could you do?

There is not a single brand which is higly moral or even sustainable.

All rotten Grin
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1093
Activity: 322
No that's just stupid.

In fact, when rich people buy stuff, that creates jobs for people. It's a good thing.
copper member
Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510
Spear the bees
You could give yourself a moral responsibility when you're buying products, but in reality, the only way to create some change is to be at the top of the chain, and by that point if you wish to keep your position you would have needed to confine your morals. It's... cheap labor that the impoverished countries provide for us. That is their economic role.

When you do your day-to-day tasks, do you think about suffering Africans? Most likely, you wouldn't, since they're not a large part of your life. Rarely do people go out of their way to help and donate to these people, since although they can complain about it, they do not truly care. People love to talk, but they never take action.
Activity: 476
Merit: 252
Basically.....Do You Have A Moral Responsibility When Buying Things?

On a smaller scale if you buy a certain product more of that product will get produced as a result, does that imprison other people or does it depend on the product? How do we know what products are moral to buy?

Hard question. You're responsible if you buy it that's for sure.

But the problem is that you can't buy "moral" products, that just don't exist. Clothes are all from Asia, electronics too, and all the garbage will end in Africa.

That's just how the world is, you don't have a choice. So you can feel guilty but it won"t change anything.
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Basically.....Do You Have A Moral Responsibility When Buying Things?

On a smaller scale if you buy a certain product more of that product will get produced as a result, does that imprison other people or does it depend on the product? How do we know what products are moral to buy?
Pages:
Jump to: