Pages:
Author

Topic: Where do you store your altcoins? - page 2. (Read 1656 times)

Activity: 564
Merit: 100
August 22, 2017, 01:24:50 PM
I store my alternative coins from the exchange where I bought them though I know it is not advisable to do this because its not safe. I will soon transfer this in safe place like desktop wallet or in myetherwallet since some of my coin is ethereum based.

Currently, most altcoin are linked to MEW, so I use it as the only wallet to store all the altcoin. I am quite safe when using it.
Activity: 583
Merit: 503
August 22, 2017, 12:53:15 PM
Indeed: keeping your coins on an online exchange for a longer period of time is basically a big no-no when you're concerned about security, theft, stuff like that. Exchanges that exists seeminly unfazed for years can disappear overnight. Example: BTC-e.com.

I'm in the process of removing my coins from an online exchange as I speak. However, this doesn't go without problems as it seems ...
Activity: 182
August 22, 2017, 12:28:51 PM
Electrum is a good wallet for bitcoin only...

if you want one for your alts, check out Myetherwallet (MEW), it can store all erc20 tokens...

if none of these satisfy your needs, u'd probably need to get individual wallets for each altcoi
Activity: 231
Presale is live!
August 22, 2017, 12:27:22 PM
I store my alternative coins from the exchange where I bought them though I know it is not advisable to do this because its not safe. I will soon transfer this in safe place like desktop wallet or in myetherwallet since some of my coin is ethereum based.
Activity: 518
Merit: 250
August 22, 2017, 12:15:16 PM
If you are an investor and not a trader never store your tokens on the exchange.

Yes it may be because I am trader, I always keep some of my altcoins in the exchanger, because i think it makes me easier in every trade deal, although sometimes i feel afraid of the exchange about the security of hacker attacks.
Activity: 337
Merit: 102
August 22, 2017, 11:49:42 AM
If you are an investor and not a trader never store your tokens on the exchange.
Activity: 728
Merit: 101
The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation
August 22, 2017, 11:36:33 AM
i was storing my altcoin on wallet website. such as myetherwallet for eth coin. you can store it on pc thought.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
August 22, 2017, 11:33:41 AM
Exactly what answer are you looking for over here ? There are two ways to keep your coins. On an exchange or in the actual wallet.  Obviously we going to tell you to use the original altcoin wallet why would you use any other. You know an exchange is a bad place to put your coins so why are you even asking here as if we going to give you some magical answer ? Like what exactly are you expecting here ?

As the above user say stay away from polo and bittrex. Bittrex are idiots. They locked my account and said I must verify since it was worth over $1000 which it wasn't. When I told them they I locked it right away. If they want my details I want theirs.

Strange. They locked my account, too.

But because it was empty & unused, and that detail is facepalming. I mean, why do you lock people's funds into your own pocket if there are no funds to grep?
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
August 22, 2017, 11:31:58 AM
Paper wallet with multiple copies is the best way to store coin if going for long term investment.

Far simpler: Old laptop, dedicated use. Mostly stuffed away "airgapped". Occasional full harddisk backups against hardware failures. Two copies are sufficient. If it has cd burner, stuff wallets on cds.

That paper bussiness is a hassle, to high chance of transscription errors and major headaches.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
August 22, 2017, 11:24:02 AM
For altcoins, i just keep it in wallet exchange. Because, very inconvenient if have to install each wallet altcoins on our pc. Instead, advantage we get if stored on wallet exchanges. We can make a sell or buy faster when compare stored it in wallet pc.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
August 22, 2017, 10:30:12 AM
Since im not holding alts for long term, i keep them in exchange, but if i go for long term i use myetherwallet for ether based alts.
Activity: 280
Merit: 122
August 22, 2017, 09:40:13 AM
some in my wallet and some in exchange, in fact, most are in exchange, because i have little long term coins, though i trade not very frequently, but i think i would better have the coin on my hand if i want to sell them
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277
August 22, 2017, 09:31:39 AM
This is the dilemma of altcoins. If you want to invest in low market cap coins (for huge potential gains), you need to download a bunch of suspicious wallets.

Yes, this is a problem I have. I tend to keep smaller coins on the exchanges, as I see that as less of a risk... still a risk though!
Activity: 658
Merit: 251
August 22, 2017, 09:25:52 AM
I think if you keep altcoin too long in swallow exchanger it is very risky, preferably for long term and in large quantity you should use offline wallets from the coin by confiding private key and password, I think it is safer but if only used for temporary and Will be withdraw to the local bank you can use the wallet exchanger  Smiley
Activity: 406
Merit: 102
August 22, 2017, 09:09:41 AM
I think you should not your long term coins in exchanges, hold them in hardware wallet or paper wallet. For trading you can hold some coins in exchanges.
Activity: 2506
Merit: 328
August 22, 2017, 08:34:36 AM
i'm having some issues deciding on what wallet should i use..

thinking about just leaving it on the exchange, what are your thoughts?

currently investing in 8 altcoins
If a certain altcoin do have its own respective wallet then its the best choice to select that one rather than on deciding up on putting your coins or leaving on exchanges.Knowing that storing them there would really have the risk on losing them compared on storing them on your own wallet with they keys saved. If its an ETH-platform based coins then most likely people do make us of myetherwallet and if its waves based then waveswallet.io would be good.
Activity: 521
Merit: 251
August 22, 2017, 08:25:23 AM
i spread it in 2 hardwarewallets (TREZOR & Legder Nano S) and desktopwallets (like XEM, etc...)
Shitcoins on exchanges for fast reacting  Cheesy
Activity: 250
Merit: 106
August 22, 2017, 08:21:21 AM
I let a little amount in mobile multicurrency wallet. Higher amount is stored in hardware wallets, that support different currencies.
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
August 22, 2017, 08:12:14 AM
You should see the altcoin website they have other options.
If Altcoins are just tokens go with myetherwallet. Smiley Smiley

Exchanges are not good options due to security risks
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
August 22, 2017, 07:39:31 AM
I use myetherwallet but I am not sure whether it is completely safe
Pages:
Jump to: