Pages:
Author

Topic: Which hardware wallets are open source? - page 2. (Read 434 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
March 17, 2022, 05:09:51 AM
Is open source software synonymous with security and reliability?
No. It's synonymous with transparency and verifiability. Open-source software can still be malicious, badly written, and full of bugs. It just comes down to when those issues will be discovered, reported, and/or fixed. 

Why is there such 100% trust in the open source?
Only because you can check what you are running and what the software does. In reality, most people don't check the code, but they like that others can.

Could it be that Trezor or other HW brand puts one piece of software on public display, but installs a completely different one on their devices? Is it possible to implement it in such a way that it cann't be verified?
You could have the users install one piece of software but make something else public. But if you compared those two codebases and tried to reproduce it, you wouldn't be able to do that. Therefore, it's not the same software. If you are really unlucky, you could install a malicious update and face the consequences before the issues are found and corrected. But the advantage of open-source over closed-source is that experts can find those problems by looking at the code. With closed-source, there is nothing to look for because it's not made public. 
Activity: 686
Merit: 403
March 16, 2022, 10:49:58 AM
It's really shocking that I'm just knowing that hardware wallets are of two types just like every other PC and mobile wallets, my thought was every hardware wallets are fully open source until a day ago thanks to this forum still but now which hardware wallet is open source?

I believe Trezor hardware wallet is 100% open source and highly secure, with a similar level of security to hardware wallets such as the Ledger Nano S and other commercial devices. The Trezor Wallet has also been around for years and already has an excellent reputation.

For a complete list, you can check out the post that OmegaStarScream has already recommended:
[ LIST ] Open Source Hardware Wallets

Do open source devices give you the feeling that your funds will be safe? Is open source software synonymous with security and reliability? Why is there such 100% trust in the open source?

Could it be that Trezor or other HW brand puts one piece of software on public display, but installs a completely different one on their devices? Is it possible to implement it in such a way that it cann't be verified?
It all comes down to one thing though, whichever crypto wallet you decide to use you need to store your recovery phrase in a safe location yourself, no wallet can keep it safe for you not even a hardware wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
March 14, 2022, 02:16:55 PM
two types just like every other PC and mobile wallets,
Technically, there are also custodial and non-custodial variations... Depending on how you use/keep your funds with certain apps [in HW], the former could also apply to your HW [e.g. staking]!

I believe Trezor hardware wallet is 100% open source and highly secure, with a similar level of security to hardware wallets such as the Ledger Nano S
It's worth noting that both Trezor models don't have "secure elements" while Ledger models aren't "fully" open-source.

In addition to @witcher_sense's comment, we have multiple sources that check if they're reproducible or not [SS of the HW section]:
Note: It doesn't mean they're 100% safe, but it's a good start!

legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 4313
🔐BitcoinMessage.Tools🔑
March 14, 2022, 04:44:18 AM
Do open source devices give you the feeling that your funds will be safe? Is open source software synonymous with security and reliability? Why is there such 100% trust in the open source?

Being open-source by itself doesn't guarantee perfect security or safety of your funds. Moreover, when it comes to less popular hardware wallets, where code is not well-reviewed and tested, the chances that there are vulnerabilities sitting somewhere are very high. So, it is not recommended to use hardware wallets no one knows about even if open-source is their selling point. Also, there is no such thing as "100% trust in the open-source" unless you're not capable of verifying and testing everything yourself. Then the only option you would have is to trust someone else. Skilled programmers don't trust, they test and verify. Trezor can potentially publish for download the malicious versions of their software, but they can't do that without publishing the source code for this software. A skilled programmer can build software from published source code and compare it to what has been presented for download by Trezor. If it doesn't match the source, then Trezor went closed-source or malicious and therefore cannot be trusted anymore.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
March 14, 2022, 04:04:20 AM
It's really shocking that I'm just knowing that hardware wallets are of two types just like every other PC and mobile wallets, my thought was every hardware wallets are fully open source until a day ago thanks to this forum still but now which hardware wallet is open source?

I believe Trezor hardware wallet is 100% open source and highly secure, with a similar level of security to hardware wallets such as the Ledger Nano S and other commercial devices. The Trezor Wallet has also been around for years and already has an excellent reputation.

For a complete list, you can check out the post that OmegaStarScream has already recommended:

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
March 13, 2022, 03:12:58 PM
OmegaStarScream has already provided a link which would be highly helpful.

Trezor is completely open source but people should be careful of a physical attack that can be used to reveal the seed phrase of Trezor wallet, so people should protect their Trezor wallet from even offline attackers which is very necessary. Using passphrase can be very helpful because different keys and addresses will be generated entirely if passphrase is used while generating keys and addresses. The passphrase is not stored on Trezor, it will only be known to owner, backup the seed phrase and the passphrase differently in different locations.

But for wallet recovery, both seed phrase and passphrase are needed, if the seed phrase or the passphrase is lost, then the coin is lost.
Activity: 994
Merit: 137
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
March 13, 2022, 02:19:06 PM

staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
March 13, 2022, 01:18:15 PM
Here's a list made by dkbit: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/list-open-source-hardware-wallets-5288971

If you're looking to buy one, then I would recommend you go with Trezor. It's the most reputable one.
Activity: 686
Merit: 403
March 13, 2022, 01:08:14 PM
Pages:
Jump to: