Pages:
Author

Topic: Which tax is the least bad? - page 7. (Read 5285 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
March 22, 2014, 09:08:08 PM
Ok, I guess I'll play. I'll vote for sales tax because it's somewhat easy to opt out of (and I actually get to own property).

I tend to agree that it's one of the more tolerable ones. I'd probably go with corporate income tax, myself. After all, if corporations are going to exist, and get special government-sanctioned privileges, I have little problem with them paying for those privileges.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
March 22, 2014, 09:06:46 PM
Probably property taxes. They're not usually as expensive and they do go towards something more necessary than what income taxes go towards (namely roads).
legendary
March 22, 2014, 08:58:29 PM
That's like asking which kind of rape is the least bad.

Date rape?
Spousal rape?
Gang rape?
Prison rape?
Statutory rape?
War rape?

I'd prefer no rape.

Same goes for tax.

I suppose if there was something called "voluntary tax" and it was actually voluntary, that would be the least bad kind of tax. It would probably just be called a donation though.

Sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for.

I personally agree with you.

However, the purpose of this thread is to focus on which is the least bad, as debated among those who resign themselves to accepting taxes (or who believe taxes are necessary.)

The "why do people think income tax is ok" thread prompted me to start this one.
legendary
March 22, 2014, 08:05:23 PM
Presuming a society has taxes (safe bet there,) some taxes could be considered more intrusive, less efficient, or generally worse than other taxes.

Which taxes do you feel are the least bad?

Bonus points for explaining why; double points for also pointing out the especially egregious taxes, and explaining why.
Pages:
Jump to: