Pages:
Author

Topic: Who is the Speaker going to file a lawsuit with? - page 4. (Read 2739 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
It's not the quantity, since the impact of any EO isn't equal in scope.
Activity: 406
Supreme Court? I would think they would throw out this suit, because it's political bullshit so boenher can keep his job. But 5 conservative judges might go for it. Question is, can democrats sue a republican president. the stats the media keeps showing is that Obama has issued far fewer executive orders than his predecessors.

that makes no sense.  You have a genuine conflict between the legislative and the executive branch, in which the legislative feels their constitutional right to legislate is being capriciously over ruled with executive orders.   

Taking such a matter to a judicial body is the right thing to do, as they interpret the law and apply it.  Taking this matter to a judicial body - I think it would be the District Court in DC, by the way - is not a punative measure, but a request for clarification of the law.  Further, if a controversial executive order was protested to the court, an injunction for a restraining order could be had until such time as the court ruled on the matter.

Absolutely. Executive orders are not supposed to counter existing law. This issue will finally be resolved with the next president in office, but the eventual decision should reign in the executive branch a bit.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
Supreme Court? I would think they would throw out this suit, because it's political bullshit so boenher can keep his job. But 5 conservative judges might go for it. Question is, can democrats sue a republican president. the stats the media keeps showing is that Obama has issued far fewer executive orders than his predecessors.

that makes no sense.  You have a genuine conflict between the legislative and the executive branch, in which the legislative feels their constitutional right to legislate is being capriciously over ruled with executive orders.   

Taking such a matter to a judicial body is the right thing to do, as they interpret the law and apply it.  Taking this matter to a judicial body - I think it would be the District Court in DC, by the way - is not a punative measure, but a request for clarification of the law.  Further, if a controversial executive order was protested to the court, an injunction for a restraining order could be had until such time as the court ruled on the matter.

Activity: 644
Merit: 260
Obama may have less executive orders, but the orders that he does issue are more far reaching and are closer to changing the law then his predecessors.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
Executive orders are merely supposed to be commands ordered by the President to govern federal agencies, not a way around Congress or other checks and balances to impose law. The Founders purposely made it hard to pass laws for a reason and narrowly defined the scope thereof in Art I, Sec VIII of the US Constitution. And, "All legislative powers herein granted are to be vested in a Congress" is the very first sentence.
Activity: 378
Pages:
Jump to: