Pages:
Author

Topic: Who's winning Android or iPhone? - page 5. (Read 2401 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
July 18, 2013, 04:26:14 AM
Meizirkki:
What repo for python? What external modules?
Which browser and which media player are you defining as good?
apt.saurik.com, should be enabled by default. I have no idea about the modules, so google is your friend. I'm not a dev.

iFile and rushplayer+ have served me well. With them I can manage files and watch movies on my external hard drive. Tbh I haven't used my laptop for anything else but bookkeeping ever since getting an iPad. Smiley

[no longer related to your question jackjack]

I agree that Apple is an idiot with their iTunes integration, but it's not like you need iTunes to use an iPad. I don't have iTunes and can't have it cause I'm running linux. Spotify syncs your music and dropbox/whatever syncs your pics. Videos need a jailbreak unless netflix suits your needs. :/
copper member
Activity: 1428
Merit: 253
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
July 17, 2013, 06:30:46 PM
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1260
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
July 18, 2013, 02:59:14 AM
Meizirkki:
What repo for python? What external modules?
Which browser and which media player are you defining as good?
copper member
Activity: 1428
Merit: 253
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
July 17, 2013, 06:14:12 PM
Can you name an app that's useful that doesn't have a counterpart in Android that functions just as well if not better?  I'm honestly curious if there is one.. what killer iPhone app exists that doesn't exist in Android?

I can name one in Android... as I said above, it's a keyboard.  Simple, obvious, yet Apple doesn't allow it.  

Lets not even discuss the disgraceful charging/USB situation on IOS.  

I have no complaints about the iPhone keyboard or it doesn't bother me as much as I don't do heavy typing on my phone and I have no complains about iTunes, on the contrary, I organize all my 300GB of music in iTunes and it's working wonders for me. Sad that it doesn't work for you. As far as PDF go, I don't have a necessity to read a PDF file on a 4" screen device, and I can open PDFs just fine on the mail app, so I'm not sure what you're talking about and I can save them or send them somewhere else.
The fact that iPhone is associated to the iTunes software makes it functional. You can keep your freedom of associate your android to whatever media management software you want go ahead, WMP is so much better than iTunes I'm sure!
Also, I can give you a few examples of killer Apps that don't even exist on Android. I'm a private pilot and Foreflight, which is a great App for pilots and many pilots across the US use it is only available on iPhone/iPad/iOS.
The iPad is FAA approved, but I didn't see any Android devices approved by the FAA I'm sure you know why!
So, just to clarify, you're dismissing a whole OS because you can't change the keyboard?? If you need a better keyboard to use your phone, then you might not be using technology the way it's meant to be used. your argument is flaky at best.
Also, the quality of the iOS apps is far superior than Androids. An easy way to fundament that statement is by looking at the statistics for Android apps, they even keep a statistics of "poorly designed apps" while iOS apps are simply superior due to the quality controls that Apple perform on the apps. Sure, some apps are not approved and I'd love for them to be part of the iOS Apps Store (GrooveShark/Bitcoin Apps) but I'm ok with jailbreaking my iPhone to gain additional functionality.
Also, you didn't refute any of my previous statements, iCloud, PhotoStream, Android fragmentation, Apple business model, I can keep going on and on about the benefits of owning an iPhone.. let's not forget WARRANTY!! You go to Apple and they fix any problems you have, or you get a new phone no questions asked. When you buy an iPhone, you have a hell of a company supporting you. Buy a Samsung/HTC/Nexus device and good luck...
Stick to your android and keep heavy typing on your amazing keyboard, enjoy the amazing battery life that Android devices provide! and the beautiful integration with Exchange or with Android's cloud... oh wait... there isn't any... :/

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫
July 17, 2013, 07:08:16 PM
I'll very quietly suggest ditching the idea that phones can play engaging games, as they're almost always poorly-made time-wasters. Engaging phone games are very few and far between. I'd honestly suggest a Windows tablet (uhh, no, not Win8 RT). Phones are already migrating to VOIP, and unless you live in the middle of nowhere (in which case, a cell phone with monthly charge is probably a shit proposition, anyway), there are generally free hotspots all over town where you can use GVoice. Your workplace probably has one available, at least to employees. It doesn't take much to emulate the Android OS on Windows, and you can, of course, emulate many other game platforms on top of getting access to the huge Windows catalog of software. Get a cheap stand and compact keyboard/mouse solution (this "hybrid" from iogear is freakin' awesome) and you have a mobile PC. It costs a lot more upfront, but it'll actually be a competent, versatile piece of hardware with no contract.

Why not just go with an iPad, much better imo then the frankenstein your suggesting.

I test android, windows 8 and I devices all day long on jquery mobile sites:
win 8 rt with ie 10 blows, android is so fragmented that it's hard to keep up and imo a waste of money, iPhone and iPad win hands down.

Now keep in mind that for some uses, for some people an android will better suite their needs, same goes for win 8 rt, but hands down for ease of use, applications and more, my money is on IOS.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
July 17, 2013, 07:02:13 PM
I'll very quietly suggest ditching the idea that phones can play engaging games, as they're almost always poorly-made time-wasters. Engaging phone games are very few and far between. I'd honestly suggest a Windows tablet (uhh, no, not Win8 RT). Phones are already migrating to VOIP, and unless you live in the middle of nowhere (in which case, a cell phone with monthly charge is probably a shit proposition, anyway), there are generally free hotspots all over town where you can use GVoice. Your workplace probably has one available, at least to employees. It doesn't take much to emulate the Android OS on Windows, and you can, of course, emulate many other game platforms on top of getting access to the huge Windows catalog of software. Get a cheap stand and compact keyboard/mouse solution (this "hybrid" from iogear is freakin' awesome) and you have a mobile PC. It costs a lot more upfront, but it'll actually be a competent, versatile piece of hardware with no contract.
Activity: 392
♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫
July 17, 2013, 06:57:27 PM
Android is winning in the cheap, fragmented piece of shit race.
Activity: 260
July 17, 2013, 06:50:56 PM
Who's winning Android or iPhone?

What do you mean by "winning?"

As long as Apple insists on controlling the entire market (hardware, software, music, movies, etc.) they will never catch Android in market share.  But that is probably okay with Apple.

The development of this "rivalry" is interesting in that the setup parallels the early competition between Mac's and PC's.  Apple insisted on controlling all of the hardware and software market for the Mac.  IBM, on the other hand, opened up its architecture and allowed anyone to make hardware or software for their machines.  Apple had a great head start in this market but the PC market evolved into something that Apple couldn't match.  And once the Intel/Microsoft machine started rolling it was all over as far as significant market share is concerned.  Apple continued to survive, but just barely.

Apple appears to have learned from the PC battles.  They have a greater head start with the iPhone than they did with the Mac.  And they opened up the software market to make it easier for independent developers to bring products along.  However they are still one company trying to match technological innovations of many other companies.  The volatility of the market is extreme.  I highly doubt that the phone market will remain clearly defined like the PC market was for 20 years.  Apple cannot catch Android in this environment, but they can certainly lose tremendous ground under the right circumstances.  Will Samsung/Google be the iPhone's Intel/Microsoft?

The iPod brought Apple back as a major player in consumer devices and positioned them very well for the iPhone.  The phone as we know it (I mean smart phone) however is likely to transition to something else in a relatively short number of years.  The iWatch and Google Glass are two possible routes.  I don't see Apple being able to match all of the possibilities that other companies are bringing to market.  Of course Android probably isn't the answer for all of them either.

So, what do you mean by "winning?"

You seem to fail to understand some concepts that Apple clearly states every time they can.
Apple products in Jobs era were designed for people who would appreciate the quality and the design not just hardware but software. Their design process is extremely refined and they were focused on those people who would embrace those concepts.
With Tim Cook, the company is trying to captivate a bigger market now, although I'm not sure is the right approach.
Google glass is a piece of crap, but it's a prototype that will serve it's purpose as new wearable technologies develop. Tim Cook already said it, who would wear glasses willingly? On the other hand, a Watch makes much more sense.That being said, Google Glass is necessary for the evolution of the technologies, but at $1,500 I find hard to believe people will be running to the stores to get one, and Inaba will most likely try to type with it and will discard it right away.
In short, Apple doesn't need to catch up with other companies, it's the other companies that played catch up with Apple (iPod...? iPhone?, iPad) or, in other words, the MP3 player which Apple made so popular... the smartphone that Apple pretty much revolutionized the way phones work, and the Tablet...
Was Apple the first one in any of those fields? certainly not, but it was the first one to get it right and that's undeniable!
The same will happen in the future, with companies releasing crappy things (NFC anyone) and Apple waiting until the technology and infrastructure is mature and ready to deploy a correct implementation.

The gist of your remarks is why I asked the OP what they meant by "winning."  I didn't say anything about the quality of Apple products (past or present) nor about the wisdom of their decisions.  I said that Apple will not surpass Android (Google) in market share.  I also said that Apple probably doesn't care.  Do you dispute that?

The quality of Google glass, iWatch, or any other probing technology device is not germane to my statement.  Google glass and iWatch were just examples of new devices that are being experimented with.  My point is that the smart phone won't be a massive force for nearly as long as PCs were because technology is evolving much more rapidly now.  Some company will hit a home run with some device.  It may be Apple and it may be someone else.  However Apple is again pitting itself against the world.  They will not be able to match all of the technological innovations that come from everywhere.  They will need to pick one or two paths and commit immense resources to those paths.  Other companies will need to do the same thing.  However if one of the Android companies make bad decisions and go bankrupt, it doesn't bring down Android.  Where as iPhone is anchored to just one company.  If Apple makes a few bad moves they are done.  So, as you pointed out, since they can't afford to jump on risky technology they wait on it.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
July 17, 2013, 05:26:26 PM
Interesting.  Yeah, arguing from a position of facts vs FirstAgents position of anecdotes is not exactly a debate.  It makes it kind of pointless.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
July 17, 2013, 03:37:53 PM
We're not talking about IOS vs. Androids. Change your search to iPhone app and Android app.

Anyway: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kessler/id529307947?mt=8&ls=1

Huh...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ui.LapseItPro&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tina.time_lapse&hl=en

But maybe that's not what that Kessler app does... from a cursory glance, it looks like a trivial app to create, which is probably why no one has ever bothered to create it... there's no demand.

There's never going to be high demand for niche apps. And no, your suggestions don't calculate data for Kessler Omega motor settings.

Anyway, your statements about my first hand knowledge about what I'm describing are useless and irrelevant to the discussion. Just because you want it one way doesn't change the reality of an individual's experiences with special niche apps, which often interface with other manufacturer's products. Please take your Android centric motivations to pick arguments and go argue with someone who cares. It's a fact that your arguments don't mean anything to first hand experiences others have had.

On the other hand, if you have something useful to say about your own experiences relating to this discussion, rather than your childish desire to be an argumentative fucktwit, by all means, there's no better time to begin than now. And I do mean fucktwit in the most sincere manner, as your avatar picture brings back unpleasant memories of you in the past, when you behaved the same way.

Ahh too bad you're unable to hold a reasonable debate without devolving into personal attacks so quickly.  I guess the debate is over, sorry about your loss.

LOL...I've had FirstAscent on ignore for awhile now. This reminds me why.
Activity: 260
July 17, 2013, 02:22:13 PM
Who's winning Android or iPhone?

What do you mean by "winning?"

As long as Apple insists on controlling the entire market (hardware, software, music, movies, etc.) they will never catch Android in market share.  But that is probably okay with Apple.

The development of this "rivalry" is interesting in that the setup parallels the early competition between Mac's and PC's.  Apple insisted on controlling all of the hardware and software market for the Mac.  IBM, on the other hand, opened up its architecture and allowed anyone to make hardware or software for their machines.  Apple had a great head start in this market but the PC market evolved into something that Apple couldn't match.  And once the Intel/Microsoft machine started rolling it was all over as far as significant market share is concerned.  Apple continued to survive, but just barely.

Apple appears to have learned from the PC battles.  They have a greater head start with the iPhone than they did with the Mac.  And they opened up the software market to make it easier for independent developers to bring products along.  However they are still one company trying to match technological innovations of many other companies.  The volatility of the market is extreme.  I highly doubt that the phone market will remain clearly defined like the PC market was for 20 years.  Apple cannot catch Android in this environment, but they can certainly lose tremendous ground under the right circumstances.  Will Samsung/Google be the iPhone's Intel/Microsoft?

The iPod brought Apple back as a major player in consumer devices and positioned them very well for the iPhone.  The phone as we know it (I mean smart phone) however is likely to transition to something else in a relatively short number of years.  The iWatch and Google Glass are two possible routes.  I don't see Apple being able to match all of the possibilities that other companies are bringing to market.  Of course Android probably isn't the answer for all of them either.

So, what do you mean by "winning?"
legendary
July 17, 2013, 11:32:00 AM
We're not talking about IOS vs. Androids. Change your search to iPhone app and Android app.

Huh...

But maybe that's not what that Kessler app does... from a cursory glance, it looks like a trivial app to create, which is probably why no one has ever bothered to create it... there's no demand.

There's never going to be high demand for niche apps. And no, your suggestions don't calculate data for Kessler Omega motor settings.

Anyway, your statements about my first hand knowledge about what I'm describing are useless and irrelevant to the discussion. Just because you want it one way doesn't change the reality of an individual's experiences with special niche apps, which often interface with other manufacturer's products. Please take your Android centric motivations to pick arguments and go argue with someone who cares. It's a fact that your arguments don't mean anything to first hand experiences others have had.

On the other hand, if you have something useful to say about your own experiences relating to this discussion, rather than your childish desire to be an argumentative fucktwit, by all means, there's no better time to begin than now. And I do mean fucktwit in the most sincere manner, as your avatar picture brings back unpleasant memories of you in the past, when you behaved the same way.

Ahh too bad you're unable to hold a reasonable debate without devolving into personal attacks so quickly.  I guess the debate is over, sorry about your loss.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
July 17, 2013, 04:19:25 AM
Can you name an app that's useful that doesn't have a counterpart in Android that functions just as well if not better?  I'm honestly curious if there is one.. what killer iPhone app exists that doesn't exist in Android?
Not exactly relevant, since I'm running jailbroken iOS, but there's a thing called applocker. Something that prevents chosen apps from being used unless you know the code to open them. This feature works perfectly on iPhones and iPads without causing any trouble to the system.

A dozen applockers exist for android, but almost every single one of them needs suspiscious permissions. The open source android market f-droid or something has a more trustworthy app for this, but my phone went nuts after installing it. Every app, including the launcher and other important parts of the OS itself slowed down. Like every time something is done the locker app comes in the way.

Without this app, no keeping bitcoins on my cellphone.
For those who say that a jailbroken iPhone can do the same things than an Android, did you ever even try to install python? A good file browser? A good media player?
kthxbai
i got all three. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1260
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
July 17, 2013, 02:49:04 AM
For those who say that a jailbroken iPhone can do the same things than an Android, did you ever even try to install python? A good file browser? A good media player?
kthxbai
Activity: 812
July 17, 2013, 02:28:08 AM

Huh...

legendary
July 17, 2013, 02:19:54 AM

Huh...

Ok:

Google:

Android app: About 2,660,000,000 results (0.37 seconds)
iPhone app: About 2,470,000,000 results (0.30 seconds)

Android wins.

July 17, 2013, 02:04:21 AM
why is it when someone says they prefer android over apple an apple fan boy comes to apples defense with a reason why anyone is an idiot for not using ios same with android fanboy some people just need to realize everyone isn't going to like what you like for whatever reason. its about personal preference they both have their strengths and weaknesses and any forum ive ever been on this type of topic like 'whats better android or apple' always ended in everyone arguing lol

I'm just reporting facts about the availability of niche apps. I actually have an Android. My experience has been frustrating because there simply aren't certain apps for it.
legendary
Activity: 938
July 17, 2013, 01:54:28 AM
why is it when someone says they prefer android over apple an apple fan boy comes to apples defense with a reason why anyone is an idiot for not using ios same with android fanboy some people just need to realize everyone isn't going to like what you like for whatever reason. its about personal preference they both have their strengths and weaknesses and any forum ive ever been on this type of topic like 'whats better android or apple' always ended in everyone arguing lol
July 17, 2013, 01:36:18 AM

legendary
July 17, 2013, 01:24:29 AM
I'm asking your for specific apps, not general categories.  We can argue until the cows come home about general categories.  Name an app.

The number of search results on Google is not indicative of the availability of an app on either platform.  Heck, if that's the case:

Google:

Android: About 2,830,000,000 results  (0.25 seconds)
IOS: About 611,000,000 results (0.27 seconds)

Android wins by a landslide, I guess this debate is over.

Pages:
Jump to: