Pages:
Author

Topic: Why big whales avoid bitcoin - page 2. (Read 4753 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
September 22, 2014, 01:43:54 PM
If 50%+ of the miners demand higher block reward, they can change the protocol and mine on their own fork. The rest of the network will continue to use Bitcoin and the remaining miners will se their profit increase.
Or those 50%+ just refuse to add transactions to the block chain and will refuse blocks that contain transactions. That strike will continue until the demand is met. And since transaction fees are negligible amount they dont even loose any rewards worth mentioning.
Yes, thats the way it works. The miners are basicly the share holders with the voting rights, not the owners of bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003
9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL
September 22, 2014, 08:50:07 AM
Would you trust something can be infinitely created out of thin air? I don't.
Hmm. So, like Bitcoin? Changing block rewards would be simple. What happens if 50%+ of the miners demand higher block rewards?
Saying BTC has a fixed money supply is just worth just as much if the head of central bank would say something like "no more new money will be printed in 100 years".

If 50%+ of the miners demand higher block reward, they can change the protocol and mine on their own fork. The rest of the network will continue to use Bitcoin and the remaining miners will se their profit increase.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
September 22, 2014, 08:46:41 AM
Because they don't really understand money. They understand polititan-leg-fucking.

Money is what the guy with the biggest stick tells you it is.

That's not what my horse shoe transacting friend Klaus says, via my medium to the dead people of medieval Hamburg.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
September 22, 2014, 07:31:07 AM
Because they don't really understand money. They understand polititan-leg-fucking.

Money is what the guy with the biggest stick tells you it is.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
September 22, 2014, 07:02:02 AM

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
September 22, 2014, 01:38:02 AM
I feel bad for the guy who bought those FBI coins above market price...

I also remember paying 6.95 CAD per XBT in January 2012 and watching the price drop to 4.38 CAD per XBT in March 2012. It was painful.

It's always painful to watch the invisible hand do its work.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
September 21, 2014, 10:21:04 PM

I also remember paying 6.95 CAD per XBT in January 2012 and watching the price drop to 4.38 CAD per XBT in March 2012. It was painful.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
September 21, 2014, 04:24:35 PM
Because the time to invest was when bitcoin was single and double digits? Now you would be just enriching other early investors who already dumped distributed coins to the "public" ?

All the while the network has ridiculous inflation at current prices and someone has to pay the bills.

In this thread the presenter in the video talked about how mining is the reason for a falling bitcoin price, not people dumping bitcoins: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-this-the-reason-the-bitcoin-price-is-not-exploding-right-now-784830

I would add to mining the lack of big whales investing in bitcoins as a major cause of a low price.

The time to invest could come in the future even for the big whales. If the problems I mentioned in the OP are solved and bitcoin becomes mainstream, then oh my, then there could be huge investments by big whales. So my speculation is only about the current situation.

I mostly agree. When mining was in the hands of your average joe, they usually held on to most, if not all of their coin. Since miners are now big companies that have huge bills to pay, more bitcoins are hitting the market.
Activity: 126
September 21, 2014, 04:21:41 PM
Well they can try to avoid, downplay or even denounce Bitcoin, but you can't stop evolution. Money is evolving, fiat is controlled, losing value, and can be created on a whim. Would you trust something can be infinitely created out of thin air? I don't.

The really big players are probably just waiting for government regulations to be implemented. And then they will launch their own kickass cryptocurrency and/or start investing in bitcoin like crazy.
September 21, 2014, 04:20:32 PM
Would you trust something can be infinitely created out of thin air? I don't.
Hmm. So, like Bitcoin? Changing block rewards would be simple. What happens if 50%+ of the miners demand higher block rewards?
Saying BTC has a fixed money supply is just worth just as much if the head of central bank would say something like "no more new money will be printed in 100 years".
September 21, 2014, 04:19:51 PM

You feel sorry for a rich guy? Why?

That is most likely how he got rich in the first place, by taking chances. And who knows, that investment isn't all dead yet.

It was a joke, but I'd be upset if I were him, regardless of how much money he owns.
Activity: 266
September 21, 2014, 03:45:44 PM
Well they can try to avoid, downplay or even denounce Bitcoin, but you can't stop evolution. Money is evolving, fiat is controlled, losing value, and can be created on a whim. Would you trust something can be infinitely created out of thin air? I don't.
Activity: 952
Merit: 281
September 21, 2014, 03:43:13 PM
Three letters: ETF
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
September 21, 2014, 03:42:06 PM

I don't.

for so many reasons and this one:
http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-six-californias-initiative-20140912-story.html
Decentralize All The Things!
September 21, 2014, 03:41:52 PM

You feel sorry for a rich guy? Why?

That is most likely how he got rich in the first place, by taking chances. And who knows, that investment isn't all dead yet.
Activity: 56
September 21, 2014, 03:34:06 PM
Perhaps the reason the FBI wanted to sell them so quickly was because they guessed they would drop in price.
September 21, 2014, 03:28:41 PM
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
September 21, 2014, 03:28:19 PM
I like it, people starting to get it.
Activity: 126
September 21, 2014, 03:18:38 PM
Because the time to invest was when bitcoin was single and double digits? Now you would be just enriching other early investors who already dumped distributed coins to the "public" ?

All the while the network has ridiculous inflation at current prices and someone has to pay the bills.

In this thread the presenter in the video talked about how mining is the reason for a falling bitcoin price, not people dumping bitcoins: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-this-the-reason-the-bitcoin-price-is-not-exploding-right-now-784830

I would add to mining the lack of big whales investing in bitcoins as a major cause of a low price.

The time to invest could come in the future even for the big whales. If the problems I mentioned in the OP are solved and bitcoin becomes mainstream, then oh my, then there could be huge investments by big whales. So my speculation is only about the current situation.
Activity: 168
September 21, 2014, 03:05:57 PM

Pages:
Jump to: