Pages:
Author

Topic: Why didn't you sell? - page 2. (Read 13315 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
December 17, 2013, 12:00:41 PM
1, & 3, mostly 3.

and on top of that, i was buying some of the coins poeple sold.  Cool

Activity: 378
Merit: 255
December 17, 2013, 11:54:23 AM
So did you guys sell this time?  Roll Eyes

Did you buy any bitcoins yet?  Still waiting.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
December 17, 2013, 08:07:51 AM
@JayB, did you trade this dip?
Did you get out in time or get trapped?

"Did you troll this dip?" Might be a better question Wink

Look I'm giving you sincere advice backed by solid arguments.

If you don't want to take advantage of it that's your problem. At least let others do

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125
December 17, 2013, 05:56:44 AM
Why would you sit on your Bitcoin ? It is boring.

I re-invest 100% of my Bitcoins.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
December 17, 2013, 05:39:04 AM

Because the dip is over? For all i know we are still swinging...
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087
December 17, 2013, 05:22:54 AM

"Did you troll this dip?" Might be a better question Wink
Activity: 750
Merit: 601
December 17, 2013, 04:55:36 AM
Activity: 476
December 17, 2013, 02:45:06 AM

I think you should wait a little more before start yelling "i told you so".

Why wait?

I don't get it....

Wait for the rumor to confirm at least... And so far it isn't confirmed.
December 17, 2013, 01:28:56 AM
Dude I don't constantly follow Bitcoin news. Actually I just knew about what happened 10 minutes ago, and saw that the price moved in a way that is very similar to the last move and which I would've predicted.

I won't buy any Bitcoins anytime soon. But you're welcome to donate from the gains you'd be making by actively trading  Tongue

My gains are all in USD now.  All my other coins will stay in deep deep cold lockup until they are either worthless or my life savings.

Now I have to stay glued to charts drawing triangles and waiting for moves so I can know when to start buying back my coins.  If my targets work I will be up 25 coins or so by the end.

I do not like trading much but the technical stuff is too strong ATM.

Well good luck with that.

I believe it'll be worth it as long as Bitcoin is this volatile. Maybe some day active trading will cease becoming attractive but I suggest you take advantage of it while it last.

I believe "Facts" (as opposed to just analysis) as a result of announcements is the way to make money out of it. Facts are facts...and as long as it's clear whether the facts are negative or positive news, it'll be easy to predict the direction of Bitcoins value as a reaction to those news. And since its too volatile ATM, it should be fairly easy to make decent profits, even if your timing was not 100% accurate (Margin of error is wide in such cases)...
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142
Whimsical Pants
December 17, 2013, 01:18:05 AM
Dude I don't constantly follow Bitcoin news. Actually I just knew about what happened 10 minutes ago, and saw that the price moved in a way that is very similar to the last move and which I would've predicted.

I won't buy any Bitcoins anytime soon. But you're welcome to donate from the gains you'd be making by actively trading  Tongue

My gains are all in USD now.  All my other coins will stay in deep deep cold lockup until they are either worthless or my life savings.

Now I have to stay glued to charts drawing triangles and waiting for moves so I can know when to start buying back my coins.  If my targets work I will be up 25 coins or so by the end.

I do not like trading much but the technical stuff is too strong ATM.
December 17, 2013, 01:11:53 AM

I sold half my stake after BTC broke through resistance @ 835 or so.  Now I have the problem of finding the right point to reenter.

You're going to get shit (and you should) for starting back again after a big drop.  If you had come in to ask if we planned to sell sometime before noon EST then it would be different.

Just to show my money is where my mouth is... here is ONE of my swept cold wallets shipped to Gox this AM at 11am my time.  I sold at $830.

https://blockchain.info/tx/755d5849b5ff50174372378e71e96b941f7f2fb94147e4dfb7bc4c43df912065

That one was worth 13kUSD.

Now... you gonna start trading and predicting the market?  Or are you going to just keep asking after big moves?

PS... feel free to send donations to my Gox wallet. Smiley  1NsYQkL4ph4L7GbysvUp6Zd9e8a9m22jVT

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142
Whimsical Pants
December 17, 2013, 01:06:10 AM
So did you guys sell this time?  Roll Eyes

I sold half my stake after BTC broke through resistance @ 835 or so.  Now I have the problem of finding the right point to reenter.

You're going to get shit (and you should) for starting back again after a big drop.  If you had come in to ask if we planned to sell sometime before noon EST then it would be different.

Just to show my money is where my mouth is... here is ONE of my swept cold wallets shipped to Gox this AM at 11am my time.  I sold at $830.

http://blockchain.info/tx/755d5849b5ff50174372378e71e96b941f7f2fb94147e4dfb7bc4c43df912065

That one was worth 13kUSD.

Now... you gonna start trading and predicting the market?  Or are you going to just keep asking after big moves?

PS... feel free to send donations to my Gox wallet. Smiley  1NsYQkL4ph4L7GbysvUp6Zd9e8a9m22jVT
December 17, 2013, 12:52:59 AM
Because I simply don't care enough. I bought into BTC when they were $13 each because they were a cool concept, not because I wanted to make money. I still stick to my guns now.

It's not money you'd be making...it's Bitcoins  Roll Eyes

And coincidentally it just happens that Bitcoins are treated like money....  Roll Eyes
Activity: 238
Merit: 105
December 17, 2013, 12:50:10 AM
Because I simply don't care enough. I bought into BTC when they were $13 each because they were a cool concept, not because I wanted to make money. I still stick to my guns now.
December 17, 2013, 12:48:23 AM

Why wait?

I don't get it....
Activity: 476
December 17, 2013, 12:47:14 AM

December 17, 2013, 12:30:23 AM
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
December 11, 2013, 06:06:54 PM
I told many friends to buy BTC at $10 but they couldn't see the point.
I told them again at $100, but like you, they just couldn't see it going any higher.

If they had bought $100 worth of BTC at $10, it would now be worth nearly $10 000
If they had bought $100 worth of BTC at $100, it would now be worth nearly $1 000.

Do you tell your friends to buy now  ?  Smiley
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
December 11, 2013, 05:01:23 PM
4, had my exams this and last week.  So havent had time for BTC ;( ........... could have made a lot of bitcoins, but my exams are more important than some bitcoins
December 11, 2013, 08:42:28 AM
Being upset that 1k will buy you only 1 bitcoin reveals at least two large misunderstandings on your part.

First of all is the psychological aspect of buying an expensive unit of investment.  You think its so expensive to buy one unit that its too late to get in.  I remember think something similar about Berkshire Hathaway in the 90s when it was about 8000$ a share if I remember right.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:BRK.A&sa=X&ei=CSOoUoPMJoPj2AWf8YGAAg&ved=0CC0Q2AEwAA

Secondly you misunderstand a fundamental advantage of Bitcoin.  Buffet may never have wanted to split BRK.A, but bitcoin has splits built in.  *IF* we sustain levels between $500 and $1000 then we will continue to the the Mbit (millibit) become the favoured denomination of btc.its already happening.  "One bitcoin" is a somewhat artificial construct.  As is 1000 mBTCs.

One last thing. I am capable of spelling out in a semi intelligent way the reasoning behind my thought processes with BTC.  But you have to understand it has not seemed worth it to me.  

I will explain why.

You started this thread with an overbearing tone.  You sounded judgemental and arrogant.  You came off as a know it all. Called some dumb, stupid, or insane.  And constantly waved around a 'degree in finance from a respected school'.  Your tone has changed somewhat.. But you still obviously have judged most here in a negative light.

To be honest this is one of several ignorant positions on display from you in this thread.

You would be better off assuming there are some here who know more than you.  I can guarantee you you have spoken to successful professional traders and folks who are highly educated.

As has been mentioned you essentially suggest we should time the market, and you were sure btc would go down at a specific time.  You may have been right about that.  But your insistence on this display of hindsight is an old pattern most of us here recognize.  Its a noob investor mistake.

Another one...  Feeling like its too late to get in btc for the price.  "Not interesting to have only 1 coin to trade". Noob error.

I just don't buy that'd its too hard to buy btc in Lebanon.  If you can use the net you can find a way.

You have a donation address and ad in your SIG.  You obviously want btc.

Youre upset some of us have not taken the time to make good arguments.  Why should we?  You came in here guns blazing.  And seem ignorant to some simple concepts. (Hindsight is 20\20 and timing the market is folly for all but the best)

Its like trying to explain to a blind man that I am not a fool to believe in color.

Regarding your first point:

I know that very well, I'm not making any logical/psychological fallacy. The reason why I didn't say "1000$ worth of Bitcoins" instead was because 1000$ worth of Bitcoins would've been attractive to me when the price was still below 10$. It is now when the price is at 1000$ that it ceased becoming attractive to me. And it's not because of the psychological effect.

It's simply a Market cap analysis thing. My answer would've been the same if total Bitcoins to be produced are planned to be 2.1 billion units and each unit is at 10$ today. I would've said exactly the same thing...that it's unattractive for me to buy 100 btc today at 10$ each....It's that I don't see an attractive upside from this point onward (again...that's me and I can be wrong). In other words I believe it reached a point where, due to its current market cap, it will be gaining momentum (if any at all) at a much slower rate.

The reason why buying let's say 100K $ worth of btc would've been a different story is because the gains I could be making, even at a slow momentum, would've still been attractive to me today given my opportunity cost. A 10% gain on 1000$ is 100$ --> not attractive, but a 10% gain on 100K is 10K --> very attractive to me (over a certain time period). And both would require the same magnitude of effort from my side.

Regarding your second point:

I sometimes like to tackle things with an aggressive/arrogant attitude because it steers the discussion in an interesting way (to me at least) on many different levels (being it studying social dynamics behavior, or the fact that you'd be making more effort to prove me wrong etc...). sgbett at one point mentioned it's hard to predict human behaviors, but my experience tell me otherwise. I agree it's hard to know all the factors affecting human behavior, but at any point in time there are only 1 or 2 factors responsible for 95% of the outcome of human decision (my own version of the Pareto principle). When you're confronted with someone who is threatening your ego/position/belief it blinds you from all other factors affecting your decision making at the point of the confrontation and it makes you willing to put more effort in dealing with the issue.

Regarding experienced traders:

Being an experienced trader in certain areas doesn't make you experienced in all areas. Btc market is a new market and the laws affecting its value are very different than the laws affecting, lets say the value of a USD or the stock of Microsoft.
Pages:
Jump to: